The Bad/Ugly and the Good

Blrry

Registered
Bought my bike last week, it's beautiful, awesome, sleek, sexy, comfortable. To wit: I love it. Didn't have a ton of time to ride it right after buying it - home from the dealer, up and down some of these beautiful Alaskan roads to the Eagle River Nature Center, and Lake Eklutna - very short rides, but fun and slow whilst the motor and tires break in.

I had 80 miles or so on it after 3 days (like I said - not much time to ride that first week) and after the above 3 rides was wiping off the mosquitos and other road detritus when I noticed the bad and the ugly.

Once I figure out how to post pictures (I know I saw a sticky for it but I can't use this silly search for the life of me to find it, it seems) I'll show you the ugly, but I'll describe the bad. Left lower fairing cracked in 3 places and paint scratched to hell. Stator cover paint scrubbed off along lower edge. Left lower muffler scrubbed. I was immediately sick - both because my bike was roughed up, and because I was afraid the dealer would try to pin the blame on me for it since I hadn't noticed it when I got the bike!

You don't see the damage when sitting on the bike, it's basically completely underneath you. You don't notice it when the bike is on the side stand, as it is again, beneath any surface you can see at a standing height. You have to be on your hands and knees to see the damage, practically (as I finally was when I was gently wiping it down). I immediately called the dealer.

The Good: Tony Jr at AK Cycle Center is a boss! He's the guy that sold me the bike. We talked and I explained what I had just discovered and he practically cut me off to tell me "Don't worry, we'll make it right!". Whew! A load off of my mind immediately. I took the bike in today for them to figure out which parts to re-order. As it didn't affect drivability, I wasn't "De-Horsed" and could still ride around. They forgot to give my my rear seat and grab bar, so I picked those up too today.

The rest of the good - and why I'm posting this: Since the exhaust will be replaced, he asked me if I wanted to get an aftermarket exhaust instead, as they are going to pay for it either way! I just got the bike and other than ordering Heli-bars, a Corbin seat, a Zero Gravity Double Bubble Windscreen and the peg lowering kit from the guy on the forums, I hadn't put much thought into further modifications.

If you had this opportunity present itself with the boon of a free/cheap aftermarket exhaust for a Gen II Hayabusa (I imagine they'll take the cost of a new Suzuki exhaust and subtract that from an aftermarket exhaust) - would you go slip-ons, or a full kit (and pay a little more, which I could easily cover as some of the cost is mitigated), what's your favorite brand, and why you would pick that one?

I know - it's an opinion fest I'm asking for, but I've watched some you tube videos on exhausts, they all sound really good, but then, the stock exhaust sounds great to my ears too. What do you guys and gals think?

Blrry

PS - could somebody point me to the "how to post pictures" thread? Sorry /blush

Welcome to the oRg. Sounds like they dropped it, but glad they are making it right. :welcome:

To post pictures, click the "Go Advanced" button in the lower right, the "manage attachments", then "Browse". Find your picture, the site will resize as needed, the click "Upload". Then close the attachement window and click "submit" to post.

Welcome! Congrats on your purchase. Stay away from Two Brothers VALE Carbon Fiber Black series full system. I put that on my busa last year and it's already rusting. Complete junk. Sounds great though.

Depends on what you are looking for. You want loud? You want to squeeze some more horses out of her? How much are you willing to spend? I personally love the look and sound of Yoshi R-77's. I went with Chrome with Carbon Fiber tips because I thought it accented the bike. I just did slip ons thinking I would add a Vance and Hines header down the road as the two are compatible. I am not going to get the extra horses but I go the look and the sound that I like.

Is the primary benefit of a 4-2-1 exhaust the accessibility to the rear tire? I'm looking at full systems, like you recommend Dadofthree, but there are many styles and options, it's easy to get lost.

As far as what I want out of it, the bike already has a surfeit of power, and most kits seem to get only an extra 3-4 hp anyway, so sound would be good, but then YouTube is only as good as the sound and software of the person recording, so that's hard to judge too. I checked on bikebandit and a single canister for the 'busa is $1100! Wow. No wonder they offered to give an aftermarket exhaust!

Weight, performance, and sound in a quality system. My system weighs 7 lbs. It gave me a 37 lb savings.

What system do you have, Dadofthree? Have you had yours dyno'd - or is it what you've seen posted on others bikes? I tried to click your name and see if I could find it on your profile, but no luck. **edit** I just googled something else and you had replied that you have a brocks that saved you 37 lbs, yeah google!

The Growlers are, from what I can tell, only 825 grams, and I could add a V&H header to save another 8lbs later on. I think I'll keep the stock mufflers in the Garage, in case I go on a long trip - I think the Racefit could get rather droning on a very long ride.

Just for info. The aftermarket slip ons cost around the price of one OEM muffler. Last time I looked the stockers were over a grand for each one. They are designed to last forever and never need repacking. They also weigh a ton!

Don't have any pics of the damaged side that are online - but here's the bike up by Hatchers Pass, AK, earlier this month!

That is not what you want to see when you get down to clean your brand new bike. Glad they are taking care of it. Must have made you sick to you stomach when you saw that.

Use a black sharpie on the stator cover and muffler. It'll make the scratches much less noticeable.

Back