That Sagging Feeling

HoboJoe

Registered
Gentlemen, Howdy. Well it seems that what might have fallen in to my lap has slipped through my fingers. Once again. That machine I posted photos of recently seems to be beyond my grasp. Thought for sure this would be the one and I could take this young man at his word. This process is not doing my already low faith in mankind any good at all. Nonetheless, we are moving on. The Lord works in mysterious ways. Have come across a stocker. Which I would have been quite happy with all along. My current question is regarding suspension sag. At about 5.8" and 225, they don't call me Tiny. So exactly how is it done and what is the process? Can I do it myself? If not who can? What might the cost be? Additionally, are there any recommendations or opinions on settings? Is there a middle ground and such. So many questions so little time. Additionally, please wish me well in this latest pursuit. At some point this exercise in futility must come to a merciful end. I truly hope it does on this machine. Sorry for the length of this post. Thanks as always

I've adjusted the front end myself, top and bottom but don't have a proper wrench for the rear. I go to a local Superbike shop and they adjust it. You sit on it geared up and they observe the sag, Then they adjust it and you get back on, repeat as needed until the height is right. Remember though, adjustments are limited even for a trick Ohlins shock and especially for a stock shock. I'm 6' and suited up, weigh 245 easy. At 60,000 miles with a couple adjustments over the years, it still works well enough for me.

Here is a step by step on everything you need to know about adjusting sag you will need friends !!

Does anyone know what the factory settings might be, say when you ride it off the Dealers floor and is there any way to know if they are still at those or if it has been adjusted post dealership ?

Does anyone know what the factory settings might be, say when you ride it off the Dealers floor and is there any way to know if they are still at those or if it has been adjusted post dealership ?

There is no such thing. No specific factory setting.
Sag is set by body weight, and at 225lbs, you would benefit from different fork springs.
Search here for "Jinkster attacks suspension", it'll answer all your questions.

I agree with Sixpack, but at your weight you can get the factory suspension set really close. I am a bit heavier than you and I managed to get mine set up. Not as nice as 4 grand worth of Ohlins but still handles good. Plus it only cast me a couple of beer and a few zip ties. Only had to have the wife come out and help with the rear. Everything else I done alone.

Man, you said a mouthful there Brother. The Jinkster is obviously the Go To guy round here when it comes to suspension. Difficult to wade thru it all. Perhaps I should try and contact him directly for guidance.

You could try that, but the last time he signed on here was October of 2014. Just read his write up and watch a coupleof videos. You can do it. Just keep track of every thing you go yhat way you can undo it if needed.

Read through and watch vids. Then ask questions here. There are a lot of us who have used his write up. There are e few here who have more knowledge than any dealership as well.

Which is one of the main reasons I am here.....Dealerships, PAAAALLLLEEEEZZZZEEEE!........have had my fill of um' with the truck Thank You

You drive a truck.
If you pass through south central Va picking up a bike, hit me up.
I'm right off rt29(runs through center of state). There's easy truck parking close by too.
I'll set your set your sag, it'll only take a few minutes. It adjusts quickly. I've done many. I'm no expert, but I can make it ride right.
The only time is in raising and lowering the bike.
Awesome curves for testing start about 3 miles from my house.

Last edited:
Back