tender busa oil pan

OB_mslater

Registered
Beware your busa's oil pan. I change my oil every 1,000 miles. The time before the last time I changed it, apparently I must have over-tightened the plug or mis-threaded it (it seemed ok when it went in). Long story short, the next time I changed the oil I couldn't get rid of a slow leak that was shedding a few drops a day. This was irritating me so I added some thin wire mesh to the plug and loc-tited the whole thing.

This solved my problem, oil stayed in fine. This last time I changed my oil though, I wanted to find a permanet solution w/o using the rigged up plug, so I tried a slightly bigger washer and same result...slow leak. So I tried one turn tighter on the plug, and wham! Cracked the oil pan. Not a huge crack, barely visible...I ran my finger along the bottom of the pan next to the plug to confirm what I though I heard. I could feel the crack, and though its small, its big enough to be a huge hassle to try and salvage.

Called local suzuki shop and they want 110 for a new oil pan and $11 for the gasket. I'm just hoping I can get the pan out without having to take my exhaust back off.

Were it not for others posting the same problem with the leaking plug i'd chalk this up to my wrenching incompetence. I've heard that cracking the oil pan is a common rookie error. But i don't think thats quite it on this one. The plug wasn't that tight, as I didn't have to strain to turn the plug that one final,fatal time...bottom line - be careful with your plugs, your pan may not be as sturdy as it should...

Back