Tail of the Dragon!!

BusaBaker

Registered
well guys, my dad just called me and said were headed to the dragon this weekend. I've always wanted to go and experience the curves!

Any info about curves or any other thing that's "dangerous" that I should look out for? It's about a 7 hour drive with the bikes on the trailer. I will be in my armored jacket and helmet obviously because the helmet law.

1. First is if you get stuck behind something big and slow be patient, passing on blind mountain roads is very dangerous.
2. Stay well within your comfort zone. You can ride fast and have fun but the margin for error is very small
3. If I'm being honest, the best riding is the skyway - be sure to get out and about.
4. Look out for stupid riders and car clubs. For some reason cars think they are entitled to both lanes in the curves....
5. Learn where the camera guys are and don't crash there!

Here is a preview for you, actually has a run down the dragon for bike view:
Down the Dragon - YouTube.wmv - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
It's fun.

beware of oncoming traffic, especially big campers. Alot of blind corners. just ride at your own level and you should be fine, don't try to keep up with anyone.

Don't eat the food there....

only 7 hours? why not ride there?

IF you live in IN you should know that frost is here.
I would ride in the afternoon, at this time of year.
But that's just me. Like everyone said ride your own ride.
Don't feel the need to keep up with someone else as it's only 11 miles or so and you will meet up.

Check tire pressures before you ride if you can.

Post pictures when you can. :thumbsup:

Don't go!!!

On a weekend! Too much traffic and PoPo...much better
riding it during the week. Go slow, be safe and come back
on a weekday if you want to ride fast. Check out the Skyway
while you're there.

Just got back. Third time this year. The Skyway is amazing. Also Hwy 28 is a great ride. Dragon is fun for a run or two but it is to busy. Went with my son and a few other guys. Here are a few pics.
DSC02268_zps9ad788ba.jpg
DSC02277_zpsfeb3dc88.jpg
DSC02279_zps36541ffd.jpg
DSC02316_zps61051fea.jpg
DSC02321_zpsca35bcee.jpg

relax and have fun. like everyone has already said. ride your own ride. dont make the mistake of trying to keep up with the guy in front of you. learn the road. you wont even get close to getting in tune with it in one weekend but you can have so much fun.

Weekends on the Dragon aren't as fun as weekdays. Everyone comes in for the weekends and the police arrive on Friday in full force. Leafs are falling and can become an issue in the corners. I would really take my time the first pass or two.

Skyway is a great ride but in some respects is even more dangerous than the Dragon. decreasing radius curves. If you see big white blocks painted in the corner you need to really knock some speed off.

Enjoy be safe and take some pix. Trailer is a good idea for several reasons. If something breaks take it to Wheelers.

Thanks for all the replys guys, It is myself and my parents going, he's on an 06 HD Ultra so he'll be the one keeping up! lol

I'm heading out tonight, just threw the bikes on the trailer. GoPro is locked on my helmet as well! So I'll get some good footage for you guys!

I have a lot of gopro video and its a hoot. cant figure out how to load it on here though. tecktarded

Bunch of us will be coming across the skyway to at least have lunch at the CROT at the foot of the dragon. If you spot a Yellow TL000R, wave!!

My son learned an important lesson at the Dragon on his second year there. This was the first trip on his own bike, a 2001 R-1. His mistake, being fearless because he had on his full leathers. A group went up to the top at night and he ended up crashing. I've rode the Dragon at night in the rain and it's no fun so I wasn't interested in going. My other son was riding my ZX-12r and I heard that pull back up to our room alone so I knew something was up. Sure enough, there's my R-1 son but he's on my bike. His older brother told him that he was going to ride back down the mountain and tell me that his brother crashed. All and all my son was ok. As anyone who's been there, you have two ways to crash, you either go off a cliff or into the face of the mountain. Luckily he hit the face, did a job on the bike. So what did he learn? Leave the full leathers at home. He wears a good jacket, gloves and helmet but he keeps things a little more real, a little bit more sane. I'm not saying that full leathers are a bad idea, at safe speeds, they aren't needed. Deal's Gap is a real rush but it is so easy to get in over your head. Take it easy and have a good ride.

Dragon Slayer - YouTube[/url]

This is how the big boys ride the dragon! :bowdown:

Exceptional skills but lacking in good judgment and common sense! :dunno:

Last edited by a moderator:
My son learned an important lesson at the Dragon on his second year there. This was the first trip on his own bike, a 2001 R-1. His mistake, being fearless because he had on his full leathers. A group went up to the top at night and he ended up crashing. I've rode the Dragon at night in the rain and it's no fun so I wasn't interested in going. My other son was riding my ZX-12r and I heard that pull back up to our room alone so I knew something was up. Sure enough, there's my R-1 son but he's on my bike. His older brother told him that he was going to ride back down the mountain and tell me that his brother crashed. All and all my son was ok. As anyone who's been there, you have two ways to crash, you either go off a cliff or into the face of the mountain. Luckily he hit the face, did a job on the bike. So what did he learn? Leave the full leathers at home. He wears a good jacket, gloves and helmet but he keeps things a little more real, a little bit more sane. I'm not saying that full leathers are a bad idea, at safe speeds, they aren't needed. Deal's Gap is a real rush but it is so easy to get in over your head. Take it easy and have a good ride.

"Leave the full leathers at home"....:rofl:
That is the worst advice ever!
Your son was very fortunate to not have been injured.
Apparently you have never seen a "safe speed" motorcycle crash where the rider sustainted major injuries...that could have been prevented by wearing full leathers.
I wear full leathers, or a helmet, t-shirt, shorts and shoes. I am well aware of the risks.
I'm 37, and I do agree that in my early 20's full leathers made me feel invincible(aka stupidity).
To wear a helmet, jacket, and gloves is good, but it also seems that you feel that nothing below your waist is in danger or of value.
Do the speed limit and obey the law, then let some idiot cut you off and put you down hard.
Ever seen someone slide down the road without gear? Even at 60mph or less, you turn into hamburger meat.
It's a personal choice to wear or not wear whatever type of gear; but full leathers will allow you to walk away from a low impact slide, even at very high speeds. Just ask Matt Mladin, he walked away from a 164mph lowside at VIR about 10 years ago. He did bruise his elbow though:laugh:
Go stand in the road, and drop hard to your knees. Aside from the pain, most of us middle aged, well used guys would get some sort of injury we didn't want. Now try it in full leathers. The knee padding and pucks will greatly reduce or eliminate any injury. Now, fast forward to 35, or 55 mph, and try again. Make sense?
Wear what you like, but advising against full leathers...:rofl:

Back