Tail Mod Mistake

manatrader

Donating Member
Registered
With doing the tail mod shown I found out something I did wrong.  Dumb mistake but wanted you all to learn too from it.
I moved my license plate location under the tail section, no problems when riding solo, but last night I went for a ride with my son. He’s heavier than my wife and when coming around a corner with a nice bump in it, wham, the license plate got taken out big time, the rear spring compressed enough about 4 inches so that the rear tire hit the plate. It pulled it right off the bike and pulled the screws right out the plastic.
I have now fixed the plate by remounting it and put a 45 degree angle on the mount so that the rear tire can never hit it. I had to install a metal plate inside the trunk compartment to prevent water from entering and to hold the license plate, and I had to go get a new plate.

<!--EDIT|manatrader
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120273040 -->

DSC00253.JPG

Noise was pretty loud when it hit, I checked the tire first thing thought it was it, but it was okay, brand new Pilot Power and that would have sucked since I leave in a couple days for Laguna.

Back