Suspension Setup

OB_Booker

Registered
I'm know that this has been discussed, but I still will ask the question anyway.

1. How do you adjust the rear sag/preload on the BUSA? In the owners manual it says that adjusting the sag/preload is best left to a qualified mechanic. I can already see that they don't provide you with the tool to do it, so can anyone give me some advice?

2. What is a good street/sport touring suspension setup for the sag/preload at both ends. I'm 5'7" and I weigh about 200lbs w/riding gear. I don't want anything too harsh, but the stock settings have got to go (too mushy) and I'm just looking for a little help with setting up the sag/preload. The rebound and dampening I'll have to fool with myself until I get it right.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

I have mine at 5 millimeters of sag front and back, in other words she dont budge when I sit down.
I weigh 250.

OMEGA, 250? You ain't ridin hard enuff dude... :) :) I lost 5 lbs. in 2 weeks after I got blue, and eatin like a HOG.

Chuck Norris can keep his workout machines, mine's more fun.

250 is my summer "six pack" weight. Usually its 260. No, not the budweiser six pack!

well you outweigh me 25 lbs., so my input sux. I found it too stiff in back and softened it up, in front I cranked preload all the way in, was dippy as hell. Seems you need to be patient and muck with the back rebound and see where it takes ya.

good luck

geez i hate my damm job!!!

sorry

Sag is adjusted by altering the rear coil spring available travel (or perhaps distance between top and bottom.)

On the rear shock absorber you will see a spring. One ehd has 2 knarled nuts on. One is a locknut the other the adjusting nut. Using a C-spanner, either tighten to reduce sag (increase preload) or undo to increase sag (reduce preload)

Sag is the distance measured that the bike sits on the suspension when lifted to its fully extended state to where it sits normally PLUS RIDER IN NORMAL RIDING POSITION.

To check you need 2 people one to lift back of bike and mark, while you sit on machine

Changing this is a bit of a black science, but I have been told (and read) numerous times that experiment is best.

Perhaps Pooh or DangerMouse could comment. I think one of them was talking about suspension set up from a WSB helper the other week and was going to post the click numbers of compresion and rebound, but I aint seen nothing yet boys!!!

Hope this helps

SS

Nuts

Back