SuperCharger vs Turbo

Well i've graduated from a super to a turbo - B-King was a BIGCC job with a thoroughly sorted motor to get the most out of the charger. Produced an easy 265rwbh and very reliable. The motor was put together to achieve well over 300, but i didn't see the point. It looks exactly the same as the Hayabusa unit they fit and personaly i reckon it's a more realistic package than the TTS kit - Looks, Sounds and goes like a MO FO!!

bbking 022.jpg

- Supercharged Hayabusa on Dyno[/url]

This fellow is famous for mono wheeling at ridiculous speeds - He's a professional and he uses the BIGCC KIT.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my latest scoot. Don't know what the power is as of yet, all i know is that it can lift the front wheel without any probs at over 100mph. It's booked in for Dyno time in Jan so i'll keep you posted.

the bike 011.jpg

For sure they'll spool slower...all the stage 2's are designed to make 400 RWHP, apples and oranges to a 280 RWHP centrifugal supercharger kit. That Rotrex supercharger is basically a turbocharger that what would normally be the turbine side, is belt driven.

supercharger.jpg

It is entirely rpm dependent as far as positive manifold pressure goes, not load dependent like a turbocharger. If the rider fans the clutch the slightest bit on that bike, it will be up in the rpm range and making exponentially more power...hence, wheelspin.

yep thats kinda what I was saying earlier....just a whole lot of wheelspin anytime you slip the clutch or build RPMS really fast. I can see the supercharger being very handy if your bike is not stretched much and you do alot of wheeling, riding curves ect....Personally it just wouldn't work for my riding style but I would like to try one out

Now correct me if I'm wrong; a turbo will not efficiently spool at part throttle due the wastegate and throttle bodies..and a sc building power according to rpm, that's what contributes to the sc being more reliable and predictable correct?

At "full throttle" my turbo will be at 7psi at 7k (13k redline). However that doesn't mean if I'm cruising around at 6k it's going open up right away when i roll past 7k rpm.

Now correct me if I'm wrong; a turbo will not efficiently spool at part throttle due the wastegate and throttle bodies..and a sc building power according to rpm, that's what contributes to the sc being more reliable and predictable correct?

At "full throttle" my turbo will be at 7psi at 7k (13k redline). However that doesn't mean if I'm cruising around at 6k it's going open up right away when i roll past 7k rpm.

nothing about a supercharger is more reliable or predictable. I turbo will spool at half throttle just not like it will at WOT. Turbo have been on busas and have been making big power alot longer than superchargers have been. No if your cruising at 6K and roll past 7 your boost will not just kick in. However if your rolling around at 6K and you WOT it the boost will pick up fairly quick depending on what RPM your turbo spools at...in my case it would be 7K....in a stage 1's case if your cruising at 6K and snap it WOT it will build boost very rapidly because its already in its efficient spool area....same concept if I roll my bike up to 8K and snap it WOT at 9K it will about throw you off the back....BECAUSE ME BIKE MAKES GOOD BOOST AT 7K....YOU WOULD ALREADY BE PAST 7K WHEN YOU WOT IT....hope that makes a little sense of what your trying to figure out

Right on, Destin! Now how about an on board video?

I dont' get to ride much lately so not going to purchase a camera....I do have plans to move my swingarm in all the way which should make it 5 over and go to some pulls tomr to see how it helps. I'm hope to have a friend do a little video shooting from the side of the road hopefully or from a car

I always get a good chuckle when I see a "supercharger vs. Turboo" debate.

What funny is that anyone even trying to compare the two has obviously never experience a turbo before

Turbo always wins hands down. Have had both on multiple cars from the past and pound for pound of boost the Turbo always wins.

Something you don't hear very often is that a Turbo will always make more CFM's of airflow. 15 psi of boost supercharger will always make less HP and TQ compared to 15psi on a Turbo. Sometimes not an easy thing to understand but anyone who has been there and done that will agree with me.

I always get a good chuckle when I see a "supercharger vs. Turboo" debate.

What funny is that anyone even trying to compare the two has obviously never experience a turbo before

where do you get off saying that? Personally I have never had the opportunity to drive a supercharged STREET BIKE, have you? I own a mean ass turbo-10r and am just trying to get a picture of how a SC's characteristics might be on these machines in contrast to my turbo.

where do you get off saying that? Personally I have never had the opportunity to drive a supercharged STREET BIKE, have you? I own a mean ass turbo-10r and am just trying to get a picture of how a SC's characteristics might be on these machines in contrast to my turbo.

Your right it's not all about peak
power or which one makes the most power per lb of boost. I will just say this if you are a serious drag racer a turbo is prob best in your interest.... If you street ride and do some hwy and interstate blast then a turbo will prob better suite you......if you ride turns, stop light riding and even sone hwy stuff I would think the supercharger would fit this very well but then of course you could do the mcxpress 16g setup and prob get the same. Turbos generally do have better characteristics than blowers and more options

I love turbos.I have almost no lag in my turbo bird but its sized right and setup to my liking.You can always spray to spool the turbo up off the line or use a 2-step.Do these setups use intercoolers or water/alky injection??

If I had the money I wouldn't mind trying to a compound boost set up on a car. 2 turbos into 1 supercharger just sounds like a lot of fun.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well boosting into a supercharger sounds counter productive.The impellar would slow down the turbo boost or the lobes whichever.Can it be done.

A lot of heavy application diesels have used the same set up. Firetrucks in particular. They call it twin charging. Amazing stuff if you dont mind the utter lack of MPGs lol.

Back