Stock Speedo Healer correction?

roland5color

Registered
Anyone know off hand the correction factor for Speedo healer for stock gearing and stock size rear tire for a 06 Busa. Finally got a decent day here in IL so I can go for a ride. This is my first ride with the speedo healer but I still have stock gearing for now. I have it set at -05.0 is this a good starting point. Sorry for simple question but I dont have GPS.

Or are the stock gauges accurate enough and i should just leave the setting at 0 until I change gearing. Thanks.

Mine is currently set at 6.9% but I think it needs to be about 7.3%. I like it to read a little fast, that way I think I'm speeding when I'm really not. :D

thanks for reply I finally found my speedo calibration software from my old one. I got the numbers now.

Last edited:
mine with 16/42 setup is set at -9% i think
Posted via Mobile Device

Easy way to check your speedo is by using the mile markers on the freeway. Pick a ten mile section and check your mileage odometer to the mile markers. If they match your speedo is correct. If they don't, adjust your speedohealer until the mileage matches exactly.

Keep in mind your speedo will change with tire ware. A new tire is bigger in circumference than a worn out tire thus the speedo change. :beerchug:

Anyone know off hand the correction factor for Speedo healer for stock gearing and stock size rear tire for a 06 Busa.

Just went through this for an '06 :

Two useful sites:

Assuming you have the 17/40 sprockets and average tire wear (5), the calculator shows: -6.2%

New tires reduce this to and -5.2% and bald tires increase to -7.1%

If you changed sprockets, try the calculator yourself. I've set mine to -6%, but haven't done a gps or time/distance check yet.

And not understanding so much about the speedo inherent problems , do they indicate that we are traveling faster or slower than the actual speed? ???

Speedometer Calibration - Pvdwiki

Two excerpts:

Stock speedometers read fast
All vehicles come with speedometers that read a faster speed than actual. Since they can never be exact, Speedometer systems are designed to err on the side of higher speed readings than actual. Two good reasons exist for this; the lawyers are happy since no on can claim that their bike was going faster than they thought and that's why they got hurt, and because a slow bike can seem like a real fast bike if the display says so.

Why a speedometer is rarely perfect
In the event that a speedometer is perfectly calibrated, that calibration will not last long:
  • The tire diameter grows as speed increases, so a speedo can only be "corrected" to one speed.
  • Tire wear will change the wheels diameter, causing errors.
  • Chain wear will increase the effective chain pitch, causing errors.
  • Rounding of data values within the electronics for display.

so if you have a spedo-healer does that happen anymore?

Yes, if I understand your question. It is a fixed setting that will change with any change to the drive line including tire wear. I don't think you would see a lot of change from new to thread tire.

At a relatively parallel rate? In that, are they all +5,7,10 etc over or is there a variable (substantial) from bike to bike?

In my experience it wasn't linear but close. The faster you go the larger the delta. Between 35 and 55 maybe 1 MPH

Back