Sprint Air Filter

busafan08

Registered
Any one here using one of these air filters what I really like about them is there is virtually no maintenance just blow it clean with an air compressor all done I cleaned and lubed my DNA air filter recently and it takes a while to clean then waiting to dry ect :thumbsup:

I bought one last year from Brock after I sent them an email about it. I wanted to make sure it was good for street use not just track. They confirmed it was good to go. I love it.

Thanks for the tip jch364! They just sold me one today and I had never heard of them. I came here to see if anyone had and what they had to say about it.

I love mine knightryder. I wasnt sure like I said till I sent an email to Brock since he was selling them at the time. Since he said it was good to go thats all I needed to hear. Better I think than all the k&n, bmc etc that use oil. At least to me. I know there are folks that swear by those filters.

funny thing is that i had just bought a bmc filter probably 6 months prior to finding out about the sprint filters. i hadnt even put 5k miles on the bmc filter yet...lol. oh well

funny thing is that i had just bought a bmc filter probably 6 months prior to finding out about the sprint filters. i hadnt even put 5k miles on the bmc filter yet...lol. oh well
Yeah I know what you mean as my DNA filter is relatively new also :thumbsup:

ok so im gonna kinda eat some crow on what i said earlier. I thought that the sprint filter would be a great idea. Figured since brock said its good to go for street then its good to go... well..... today i was prepping the bike for my dragon trip on sunday. i decided to pull the filter off to get a look at it. its had about 4k miles on it. when i pulled it out i discovered a small ... no a rather large collection of dead bugs that were lodged either under or just inside the rear of the filter. could not see them until i pulled the filter out of course. Now i am going to assume that none of the bugs got through to get into the engine but I realized that with the design of the filter, there is no place for them to go at the bottom of the filter. They just keep churning around in the wind I guess. There is a little bit of a lip with the stock filter at the bottom is what im getting at i guess. I had to use a vacuum to suck out all the bugs. I suppose that the filter worked but seems that its not really trapping anything. so they just bounce around and keep flying around in the chamber. Seems to me that eventually the bugs would break apart to the point where they would get through though. plus on the bottom of the filter is a foam seal like all the rest. the difference here is that the foam seal is not one piece. its cut at an angle when placed on the filter. Plus it was loose. the glue at that part was coming loose. I dont know if anyone else uses this or not or even if its as much of an issue as i am making it out to be but i dont feel comfortable at all with it so i went back to stock..... busafan if you bought one on what i said in the thread earlier I apologize greatly. I didnt know this was going to be the result. Of course I may be making too much out of it.

Thanks jch364 for a good honest report No I have not purchased one yet thinking about your comments it make sense in that the stock filters from what I have read have some kind of tacky special glue ? to trap the bugs hence I am thinking the same applies to most aftermarket filters which needs oil to trap the bugs ? What do you think ? :thumbsup:

ive had a bmc stock and sprint. everyone has a favorite .. for me its gonna have to be stock. I thought the sprint would be great since you just blow it out with an air hose but as I posted. It does not seem to be what I had hoped. Initially I read that it was for best fro drag racing. I think this is more likely the best use for it. Especially considering some dont even use a filter. So for that application I would say its great. Just not for street use. Sorry Brock. I cant go with you guys on this one. I had a bmc and like the k&n you have to oil it. I dont know if I started to over think this or not but with filters you have to oil there seems to me to be no precise way to assure you get it right. too little and bugs get through... thats obviously bad.... too much and oil gets sucked down..... also bad. Also the same goes with the air flow.so how can you possibly get it exactly right? Again I may be way over thinking that part of it. Maybe you would have to seriously over oil it to matter. I dont know. From everything I have found and read about this subject I seem to always come back to the stock filter as being the best at catching what it should and breathing the best. I know this much. I only had my bmc in for about 1k miles when I bought the sprint. I had about 5k miles on the sprint and when I pulled it out it freaked me out a little. Piece of mind is worth a LOT in my book and once again I learned that often times, for me anyway, stock will always work the way it should and fit the way it should. for what its worth anyway.

plus I have never needed to get my freaking shop vac out and suck out the bugs from the air box before.

stacks.jpg
I run a BMC Race and for the time it takes to wash and oil it's not a big deal IMHO . On a side note I run open stacks on my Vmax for over 10 years now , live in NY so no sand or dust storms to worry about

Back