Sport Touring rubber

@jellyrug
R: shown
F: Road 5 (non-GT)
DateCode: 4219

c10 did a vid a few yrs back about tire combos to optimize even wear F/R. Pretty sure that's where I got the idea to run the Road 5 GT rear and the Road 5 front but I also did a ton of hallucinogenics in the '70s so maybe it's not where I got the idea.

IMG_9857.JPEG

IMG_9861.JPEG

:eek:
Yep, time for a new set

@jellyrug
R: shown
F: Road 5 (non-GT)
DateCode: 4219

c10 did a vid a few yrs back about tire combos to optimize even wear F/R. Pretty sure that's where I got the idea to run the Road 5 GT rear and the Road 5 front but I also did a ton of hallucinogenics in the '70s so maybe it's not where I got the idea.

View attachment 1679891

View attachment 1679892

:eek:
Yep, time for a new set
I've heard of that on VFRs too for Angel GT and these too.

They just opened a new cycle gear in my town that i went to check out today. I thought it was crazy that the PR6 profile for the front tire was steeper than my Pilot Power 5 since they had both there.

Hmm I have the p 6 on my busa and I love them perfect for wieght of bike and my type of riding,canyon non aggressive but sporty and touring I do havre the coninetiel road 4 on my RC8 street legal and that's my aggressive ride and thier incredible! I thought about the continued foru busa bit I think they will wear to qiuck and not handle the wieght of the busa being mu RC8 is 396 as far as millage I usually get about 7 to 10 k on both bikes so alot depends on WHAT you're doing on the bike

Long time Metzeler guy here. Roadtec 01's currently, but they have a new Roadtec 02 out now, which I know nothing about, but it sounds promising.

Hmm I have the p 6 on my busa and I love them perfect for wieght of bike and my type of riding,canyon non aggressive but sporty and touring I do havre the coninetiel road 4 on my RC8 street legal and that's my aggressive ride and thier incredible! I thought about the continued foru busa bit I think they will wear to qiuck and not handle the wieght of the busa being mu RC8 is 396 as far as millage I usually get about 7 to 10 k on both bikes so alot depends on WHAT you're doing on the bike

Long time Metzeler guy here. Roadtec 01's currently, but they have a new Roadtec 02 out now, which I know nothing about, but it sounds promising.

Interestingly, (to me anyway), the S21, 22 and 23 are all in production as they offer different levels and one isn’t entirely a replacement for the previous one.

I ran S21’s for a while and liked them, not sure I’d use them on my A bike if I was pushing it hard but there’s a significant difference in price. I think a pair of 21’s in a 50 rear was only a few beers more than a single S23 rear in a 55.

I’d certainly consider them, I have bikes I don’t push hard and don’t get as much use but I’d still like something half decent.

On my Gen 3, ran stock tires for 6500km, could have got another 2000km maybe but because I was doing a long road trip last year I changed them early so I didn't get caught looking for tires on my trip. Went with Michelin Road 6 and been very happy. I do ride spirted from time to time but not real hard and lots of highway mileage so really liking my choice for new tires. Next time only change I will make is switch to a 55 profile on the rear.

Yeah I am not an aggressive rider I just bought a Hayabusa because ergo wise it fits me well. Also I was able to mod it well for 2 up riding with my son. I enjoy the power, the handling, and the stability of the bike even in heavy winds out here in Az. The up right riding position of the cruiser I had hurt my back which I know some would think is unsual. But, I am 5'10 with long arms and wide shoulders, the bar angle and width just work for me. Plus I have the front at normal height and left the rear lowered 2" from what the previous owner had. It helps with my son sliding into me and is more comfortable with him. Plus I added the hyperpro suspension and rear shock with remote preload adjuster.

I am curious about bridgestone tires and metzler because I have not run them yet. I have run mostly michelin and continental.

I don't have too much experience with hypersport tyres, but the factory fitted S22s are decent in my opinion. So far they did what I asked from them. (to be fair I didn't ask too much as I am still breaking in the bike and the tyres) Today in 55°F air temp they were decent warm, when I had checked.

Screenshot_2024-03-12-18-49-03-047.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't have too much experience with hypersport tyres, but the factory fitted S22s are decent in my opinion. So far they did what I asked from them. (to be fair I didn't ask too much as I am still breaking in the bike and the tyres) Today in 55°F air temp they were decent warm, when I had checked.

View attachment 1680044
Factory S22’s aren’t bad, but I prefer the aftermarket ones a little more.
There’s normally a difference. It’s not unusual.

The factory B-King tyres were awful, the “ same” tyre aftermarket version was fine.
Same name, same size, same pattern, at a glance the same tyre.
Looking closer one was made in Japan, one in the USA,
One 3 ply, One 4 ply, definitely different compounds.

I’d be happy to bet factory S22’s (although good) aren’t identical to aftermarket.

Factory S22’s aren’t bad, but I prefer the aftermarket ones a little more.
There’s normally a difference. It’s not unusual.

The factory B-King tyres were awful, the “ same” tyre aftermarket version was fine.
Same name, same size, same pattern, at a glance the same tyre.
Looking closer one was made in Japan, one in the USA,
One 3 ply, One 4 ply, definitely different compounds.

I’d be happy to bet factory S22’s (although good) aren’t identical to aftermarket.
I have heard the same and from manufacturer point of view it makes perfect sense. Regulations, cost savings, etc.
What is not so nice, they are not making customers aware, so usually they just get away with it.

I have heard the same and from manufacturer point of view it makes perfect sense. Regulations, cost savings, etc.
What is not so nice, they are not making customers aware, so usually they just get away with it.
…. and in some circumstances it doesn’t do the tyre manufacturers any favours.

More than a couple of B-King owners didn’t like the factory tyres and changed brands where in reality the aftermarket version was quite good.

Back