Speeds Are Really Increasing!

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
I watched the MotoGP races and NHRA today and it struck me that speeds are increasing in a big way. In just 1,000' the fuel cars are exceeding 300mph in less than four seconds. The GP riders, with bikes that have well over 200 hp and weigh less than 300 pounds were exceeding 200 mph (every lap) and then braking hard enough at the end of the straight to manage a 55 mph corner. Manoman, are these riders superhuman? 60 degree lean angles! I've always liked speed. Always had fast bikes and cars but these speeds...wow, just wow!

On the Motogp broadcast today they said the Ducatis are making ~280hp now and almost 350kph at Mugello. Impressive stuff.

I agree but 'impressive' doesn't quite cover it. I've ridden my Busa very fast and on occasion, on it and any other bike I happened to have at the time, ridden as fast and as best as I could on a vacant two lane, until I really got the tires and brakes hot, and my arms were sore and my legs were weak....and it took all of just a few minutes! I can't imagine riding from say 50 mph (after the start) to over 200 mph and scrubbing off 150 mph before cornering again e v e r y s i n g l e l a p for twenty laps or more! Concentration, talent and agility must go w/o saying. Physical endurance and having the ability to maintain the level of concentration required to run at those speeds is why there's only a handful good enough to call them selves MotoGP pilots.

That huge wobble Dovi had at full noise at Mugello was terrifying that took super human strength to hang on especially
with a his crook guts.

I agree but 'impressive' doesn't quite cover it.

I've ridden my Hayabusa very fast and on occasion,
on it and any other bike I happened to have at the time,
ridden as fast and as best as I could on a vacant two lane,
until I really got the tires and brakes hot,
and my arms were sore and my legs were weak . . . .

And it took all of just a few minutes !

I can't imagine riding from say 50 mph (after the start)
to over 200 mph and scrubbing off 150 mph before cornering again
e v e r y s i n g l e l a p for twenty laps or more !

Concentration, talent and agility must go w/o saying.

Physical endurance and having the ability
to maintain the level of concentration
required to run at those speeds
is why there's only a handful
good enough to call them selves
MotoGP pilots .

Sunday PirateDiverJeff & I went for a brisk morning back street blast ~ not only does going fast take talent, you have to stay tucked in behind the fairing . . .

southern100.jpg

Yep, the old pirate is out in front again.
That pic is from his go-pro.
Red is lost in the pack somewhere.

What is really amazing is how few really serious accidents there are. These guys obviously know how to crash and they have air bags but still pretty amazing. Really makes you think: if these guys can crash at 120+ on track, get up and actually be mad about it. I know guys who went down at 40 mph on the street and they got a ride in the meat wagon.

What is really amazing is how few really serious accidents there are. These guys obviously know how to crash and they have air bags but still pretty amazing. Really makes you think: if these guys can crash at 120+ on track, get up and actually be mad about it. I know guys who went down at 40 mph on the street and they got a ride in the meat wagon.

Lol, in all seriousness, there really is some skill in crashing!
After 22 years of street riding, I've yet to go down (but many close calls).
I have however perfected the art of dirt bike crashing!
And skills transfer!
But really, if you are always prepared for anything, and ready to jump on the tank or seat (to help to be thrown clear), or off the back or side...or even ride the engine as the bike slides down the road, then your walk away odds greatly improve.
Not everything can be avoided, but if you just freeze, and/or lock up the brakes, then your odds go way down.

The increase in power at the MotoGP level has to do with them switching over to pneumatic valves so they can spin the engines to the moon.

Air spring valves are also lighter than the mechanical version. They have been around for a long time though - came from F-1 auto racing. I think Suzuki is using the finger followers though on their new street GSXR and the MotoGP engine. Apparently the rocker type can allow the valves to float. They also run much lighter engine internals.

Air spring valves are also lighter than the mechanical version .

They have been around for a long time though - came from F-1 auto racing .

I think Suzuki is using the finger followers though on their new street GSXR and the MotoGP engine .

Apparently the rocker type can allow the valves to float .

They also run much lighter engine internals .

Wonder if those Ducatis are using N02 in their pneumatic valves, wink wink! Seemed awful fast down the straight.......

Back