So you want to get your knee down, eh?

:laugh: actually I think it would be harder if not impossible. I get off the seat good and I feel like I have good posture but my exhaust would hit too soon. Yes I know it should come up for this. I'm just practicing for when I get a track bike:thumbsup: Next time your behind me I'll show you what I do and you can critique me:beerchug:
I found an RC51 locally on a long deal myself... :whistle: Get the bike off the ground (you are -2" right?) and start chasing the fast guys.. works wonders for your style.. Monkey see, monkey do :)

Last edited:
Shorter wheelbase seems to turn in easier. 100# lighter doesn't hurt either.

These are shots on the street, so definately not pushing it like I do on the track. On the track I am off the bike & substantially lower. He does have great body position.

Post up some of your track photos! Pictures are always good!

you bike is lowered enough to drag a chicken wing in a straight line :laugh:

:laugh: actually I think it would be harder if not impossible. I get off the seat good and I feel like I have good posture but my exhaust would hit too soon. Yes I know it should come up for this. I'm just practicing for when I get a track bike:thumbsup: Next time your behind me I'll show you what I do and you can critique me:beerchug:

I was just munching on a few chips with salsa when I read this one and the salsa came out my nose, damit! :rofl:

Had the camera handy on this slick racer guy! :rofl:
S6301120resize1235428801.jpg

S6301121resize1235428822.jpg

Last edited:
I was just munching on a few chips with salsa when I read this one and the salsa came out my nose, damit! :rofl:
:rofl: his bike is down like 2-3" and max lean might be 30degrees.. and it would tear up that pristine Tsguki (SP) exhaust...

here is an idea how low you can go :) mine is at stock height.. the low look sure is pretty but kind of tough on parts.. :laugh:

DSC_0249.JPG

Last edited:
:rofl: his bike is down like 2-3" and max lean might be 30degrees.. and it would tear up that pristine Tsguki (SP) exhaust...

here is an idea how low you can go :) mine is at stock height.. the low look sure is pretty but kind of tough on parts.. :laugh:

DSC_0249.JPG

yes its 3 in the rear. Im thinking of bringing it up to the middle hole in the link. Sure cant hurt. I already bent exhaust spring hooks backwards at the bash.

Thanks for bringing up the subject Steven, great post! I agree with you that dragging a knee isn't a prerequesite to go fast but the fastest 5000 riders in the country all drag their knees. I also agree that puting a knee down is a skill unto itself....and it's absolutely reasonable to practice it without riding at "90% plus". BTW, I ck'd both the Ca Vehicle code and Nevada revised statutes and it's not illegal!(at least in those 2 states)...not that it should be done anywhere besides track/remote twisties. Doyle

MF1A1348.JPG

It should look something like this (shameless reposting of this pic). Between my back and my belly, getting low just doesn't happen.

zindex.jpg

Thanks again. I think I need to get my torso lower to the tank as well. When it warms up some more, I'm gonna have to hit that corner a few times. :thumbsup:

It's pretty crazy how much getting your torso down helps improve your lean angle. The lower your center of gravity is, the more comfortable you'll feel leaning farther. I am by no means as skilled as some of the other guys in this thread, but I have noticed that getting my torso lower helps my lean angle immensely! Now I just need some leather pants with sliders so I can actually get my knee out there. . . It's pretty nerve wrecking stickin your knee out a little bit wearing nothin but either jeans or some textile riding pants with no pucks. . .

EXECELLENT POST! A few things I might add. The #1 most important thing about moving around on the bike
BE SMOOOOOTH! Don't "Fall over" or "Throw the bike over" just concentrate on moving smoothly around on the bike. This makes much less work for the suspension and makes things alot less frightening.
MP3T8542.jpg

As said a few posts ago pick one particular turn and work on it repeatedly. And lastly look through the curve, DON'T Target fixate!
championship.jpg

Granted some styles look better or may be better ie lower C of G but the RIGHT way is what FEELS comfortable to get you moving forward inside and down.
Marie.jpg

Personally I found that placing my inside foot on the peg with my boot sole turned up an touching the frame at the attachment point helped me get my leg out further,
MP3T8643.jpg

a habit I had to change as lean angles got more extreme. In theory once the bike is set in the turn and your set on the bike you shouldn't be clinging on like a monkey you should be settled and relaxed. Maybe settled enough to wave for the camera man.
MP3T8652.jpg

On a final note here's a pic of SRAD dragging knee on a bone stock brand new (at the time) 250 ninja. He's 200+ 5'10" and still put a knee down with ease
Img_4250.jpg

slow smooth lots of practice and have someone take pics so you can see where you are leaning where you are on the bike and how much more to reach the ground. Oh and the first time you drag knee,, it's the same for everyone it will scare the poop out of you!
Marie
HeavyBusRacing.com

Last edited:
dang it... looks like I need an exercise routine to keep up with any of this.. was a lot easier when i was in my 20's :laugh:

hahahah yeah usually after a weekend at the track SRAD's knees almost won't let him walk! Sucks to be old!:laugh:
SRAD wringing out the SRAD
Carlclover.jpg

Looking through the turn
DSC_0513.jpg

You will also find that keeping your head level helps
Marielean2.jpg

Here's a few shots from the same turn same race same day. Notice the differences in body position , amount of lean, head tilt or lack of head tilt ie head level to horizon.
mh-lean.jpg

Marie
HeavyBusRacing.com

Good info and that vid was very helpful. I know I've been doing it totally wrong all these years. :whistle:

When you get that knee down it also acts like an outrigger and stabilizes you thru the turn and it makes sweet music.

The phrase "try to kiss your mirror" helped me a ton! I was to straight up and through my whole body off the bike coming into the corner.
Another key word is "smooth"; be smooth in everything! Braking, throttle control, body position, and Speed.

hahahah yeah usually after a weekend at the track SRAD's knees almost won't let him walk! Sucks to be old!:laugh:
SRAD wringing out the SRAD
Carlclover.jpg

Looking through the turn
DSC_0513.jpg

You will also find that keeping your head level helps
Marielean2.jpg

Here's a few shots from the same turn same race same day. Notice the differences in body position , amount of lean, head tilt or lack of head tilt ie head level to horizon.
mh-lean.jpg

Marie
HeavyBusRacing.com

Got to love those NSR's bring the busa out to Texas World Speedway and show us how to drag a knee :thumbsup:

What a fun thread! Thanks to all who have participated. Lots of good input with photos. It's great to get so many involved in a discussion which results in everyone learning something new or at least gathering new ideas.

Spring is just around the corner so let's all get out and enjoy that first taste of warm sunshine. Just be easy for a while since most of us have not seen much if any riding time since thanksgiving.

I am looking forward to yet another summer of two wheel fun. I hope you are too! :beerchug:

Back