So you want to get your knee down, eh?

im gonna have to say the only thing i see wrong is your wearing a textile suit . are you nuts dragging knees in cloth no freaking way. are you nuts

While leather is the preferred material, Textile suits hold up pretty well. I video taped GregBob crashing (during his first year of track time) on the front straight at Pacific Raceway in Seattle when his rear Pilot Power blew out on his busa. 140 mph crash and he came out unscathed. His suit was totally lunched but he never got a scratch. I'm by no means recommending Textile but it does work, especially at street speeds.

Awesome post Tuf! I'm definitely going to read this over and over until it is stuck in my head.

I would have leather however I am vertically challenged and it is hard to buy such a high dollar item without being able to try it on 1st. I did get to install my GPR4 this weekend however the 4" of snow outside my door persuaded me not to try it out. Hopefully, it will allow me to have a little more confidence in getting my lean on.

What comes first? A chicken or an egg? Touching down knee is an external manifestation of your inner understanding of cornering. Trying to force the external expression without having proper inner understanding will cause harmful effects. J.M.H.O.

While leather is the preferred material, Textile suits hold up pretty well. I video taped GregBob crashing (during his first year of track time) on the front straight at Pacific Raceway in Seattle when his rear Pilot Power blew out on his busa. 140 mph crash and he came out unscathed. His suit was totally lunched but he never got a scratch. I'm by no means recommending Textile but it does work, especially at street speeds.

+1... My last crash I was wearing my body armor, which is literally linked with mesh, and no cuts no bruises and it took a good banging. Surely leathers are the deal, but if mesh can do it textile will be even better.

Thanks for the great info, SUBSCRIBED to this thread for reference. Always looking to improve my riding abilities.

What comes first? A chicken or an egg? Touching down knee is an external manifestation of your inner understanding of cornering. Trying to force the external expression without having proper inner understanding will cause harmful effects. J.M.H.O.

Depends on your goal? If your goal is SPEED, then this thread is by no means meant for you. Attend a Jason Pridmore Race School and he will teach you to go fast and forget your knee.

However, if your goal is to drag your knee at less than traffic speeds, this thread may indeed be benificial to you with no preference as to whether you are the chicken or the egg?

Good info, thanks for sharing. Can you see what I am doing wrong here?

Move your body over & lower so that you are looking at your mirror. Your inside elbow should point to the ground. I am on the tank & around to get my body in the correct position. It is much easier on a smaller wheelbase bike, but that takes the challenge out of it. I do enjoy my 600RR on the track much more than the Busa. Dragging your knee should be a result of speed, lean angle, & proper body position, not just a goal.

The first time your knee touches down it will scare the sh&* out of you, it is loud. :laugh:

9O4Y2987.jpg

Last edited:
I've had fun practicing getting off the seat even at low speed corners just for the experience and practice. I have to say the biggest hurdle for me was the fear of just sliding so far off the seat. You think that your gonna fall or loose control of the bike but once I did it it actually felt like I had more control and higher confidence with the corner. I think it might be the dif. view from having my helmet down by my mirror.

Great write up. I'm bookmarking this myself. I have to say the first time I tried it I think I did exactly what you described. It's what felt the most natural and comfortable to me.

I've had fun practicing getting off the seat even at low speed corners just for the experience and practice. I have to say the biggest hurdle for me was the fear of just sliding so far off the seat. You think that your gonna fall or loose control of the bike but once I did it it actually felt like I had more control and higher confidence with the corner. I think it might be the dif. view from having my helmet down by my mirror.

Great write up. I'm bookmarking this myself. I have to say the first time I tried it I think I did exactly what you described. It's what felt the most natural and comfortable to me.
you bike is lowered enough to drag a chicken wing in a straight line :laugh:

Good info, thanks for sharing. Can you see what I am doing wrong here?

Move your body over & lower so that you are looking at your mirror. Your inside elbow should point to the ground. I am on the tank & around to get my body in the correct position. It is much easier on a smaller wheelbase bike, but that takes the challenge out of it. I do enjoy my 600RR on the track much more than the Busa. Dragging your knee should be a result of speed, lean angle, & proper body position, not just a goal.

9O4Y2987.jpg

GregTH-4.jpg

Looks as if you could benifit from your own advise. :poke:
I don't understand the wheelbase statement. Maybe you could explain?

Notice the photo of GregBob with body position about as good as it gets for "Go Fast". Notice his eye level then notice yours, as well as the elbow position. While your body position is not terrible, it's not great for go fast either. I'd say it's typical for street riders.

This thread is not about "Go Fast", it's pointed at the average guy who would simply like to kiss the pavement with his puck without breaking the sound barrier.

Last edited:
How tall is GregBob? He looks like he is 5'. I am 6'6" and I can bet you have never seen Big Bird kissing that gas tank like he is! That is what I visualize when I think of myself in that position.:laugh:

How tall is GregBob? He looks like he is 5'. I am 6'6" and I can bet you have never seen Big Bird kissing that gas tank like he is! That is what I visualize when I think of myself in that position.:laugh:

Are you really 6'6"? Hell, at 6'6" you should be able to plant your puc on the deck without any lean! :rofl:

Yep, you can get into that same position as GregBob. Greg is about 6' tall. I am 6'4" and I can assume that position without difficulty and so can you! :thumbsup:

You'll feel a bit funny while working on that position but you'll get it with a little practice. You actually need someone to ride with you taking notice of your body position. You'll swear you are down so low you are about to fall off but in reality, you are not. Pictures are your friend. Get lots of photos of your riding along with video if possible. Photos don't lie and you can critique yourself.

9O4Y2987.jpg

GregTH-4.jpg

Looks as if you could benifit from your own advise. :poke:
I don't understand the wheelbase statement. Maybe you could explain?

Notice the photo of GregBob with body position about as good as it gets for "Go Fast". Notice his eye level then notice yours, as well as the elbow position. While your body position is not terrible, it's not great for go fast either. I'd say it's typical for street riders.

This thread is not about "Go Fast", it's pointed at the average guy who would simply like to kiss the pavement with his puck without breaking the sound barrier.

Shorter wheelbase seems to turn in easier. 100# lighter doesn't hurt either.

These are shots on the street, so definately not pushing it like I do on the track. On the track I am off the bike & substantially lower. He does have great body position.

you bike is lowered enough to drag a chicken wing in a straight line :laugh:

:laugh: actually I think it would be harder if not impossible. I get off the seat good and I feel like I have good posture but my exhaust would hit too soon. Yes I know it should come up for this. I'm just practicing for when I get a track bike:thumbsup: Next time your behind me I'll show you what I do and you can critique me:beerchug:

Back