Smoker Penalty in Obama Care

I get what you are trying to say but preservatives in food is not even in the same building as far as unhealthy choices. Most people cant afford organic food and depending on where you live there isnt even a retail store to provide the option. On top of that most people in this country cant afford organic prices when it comes to feeding a family. The bottom line is people have to eat and drink water or we will die, people do not have to smoke :whistle: The motorcycle issue isnt relevant either because once again its a choice and not everybody is doing it. Sportbike, cruiser, dirtbike, to moped are all dangerous...... more wrecks occur under 50mph than over so using the fast busa example isnt relevant either.

You are correct in in alot of what you say. Never used any motorcycle as an example, just said motorcycle.

But more people could eat better, (obesity), grow their own food. Dont have to drink water from a plastic bottle.

You are correct again, "Not everybody is doing it".

Once again every body picks their own poison one way or another, and then trhey want to justify theirs as "ok".

Not trying to justify my poison, if their is going to be a penalty it should be equal across the board.

Not trying to justify my poison, if their is going to be a penalty it should be equal across the board.

Just keep telling yourself this isn't a tax lol.

Penalizing people for living within the confines of the law by government mandate is pretty crazy anyone would agree with this. How can I be forced into a program and then penalized for my lifestyle. The word hypocritical comes to mind when I see people for government healthcare, then saying those that dont live the same lifestyle should penalized

Just keep telling yourself this isn't a tax lol.

Penalizing people for living within the confines of the law by government mandate is pretty crazy anyone would agree with this. How can I be forced into a program and then penalized for my lifestyle. The word hypocritical comes to mind when I see people for government healthcare, then saying those that dont live the same lifestyle should penalized

Correct, governement is way to big and sticks its nose where it does not belong. Government healthcare will bite us all in the "u know what".

No doubt that smoking is bad for a person. But so is all the preservatives that they put in all the food you buy at the stores, the shots that they give the beef, pork we eat. Look at the growth junk that they feed the chickens that you buy at the grocery store.

Once again we pick our own poisons.
smoking is bad for ANYONE that is around you including ur children if u have any. u could eat all the Big Macs on earth and it would have ZERO impact on me. ur poison affects others around you. unhealthy food only affects the person eating it.

smoking is bad for ANYONE that is around you including ur children if u have any. u could eat all the Big Macs on earth and it would have ZERO impact on me. ur poison affects others around you. unhealthy food only affects the person eating it.

Agreed, but so is cranking your car first thing in the morning. (I dont believe the whole gloabal warming thing as they put it, another thread another time) But, they aint blaming global warming on cigarettes.

My point is why should a smoker pay a higher insurance premium than (lets say) an obese person, a crack head, or air plane pilots (supposedly a safe way to travel, but if you crash what are your odds).

If you are going to charge a premium for one poison, do it for all poisons.

So what good aspects towards a person's heath is there?

Not trying to make a point about what is good for you or bad for you, just that everyone picks there own poison in there own way. And the government wants to penalize the smokers for smoking. Even too much of a good thing is bad for you.

Now days, alot of jobs are bad for you, but people choose to do that kind of work.

According to scientist too much sun is bad for you, it causes cancer.

Everyday life consists of so many choices, and its not the governments place to make those decisions for you. If they are going to penalize something that is bad for you, they should penalize all that is bad for you on an equal basis. But they shouldn't be allowed so deep in your lives.

Look at the helmet issue that floats around here, IMO it should be a choice, not a law. Those that choose to (or don't ride at all) shouldn't tell those that don't want to wear a helmet they have to wear a helmet.

It all goes around to choice, and the government should not be involved in so many of them.

I don't think the government is making a decision, Just going off statistics just like any other insurance company would. Smokers cost more(statistically) money then the other things in life. Like I said "What good aspects towards a person's health is there?". All factors of our everyday life is taking into consideration on the average cost. Just a smoker who willfully(addiction aside) chooses to put toxins into their body is considered a higher risk/cost because that's what statistics show them. So yeah it sux for smokers,but good that non-smokers don't have to foot the bill either. Oh and BTW I'm sure the average smoker is partaking into those other "Choices" you mentioned on top of smoking.

My point is why should a smoker pay a higher insurance premium than (lets say) an obese person, a crack head, or air plane pilots (supposedly a safe way to travel, but if you crash what are your odds).

If you are going to charge a premium for one poison, do it for all poisons.
I really dont see the nexus between food, illegal drugs, flying and cigarettes.

obese people often have other medical issues that contribute to their overweight light thyroid problems, metabolism, genitics, etc.... granted MANY are overweight cause they simply eat like chit and fail to exercise but I eat like chit and am very fit but I also train every day.

an insurance company would have a difficult time deciphering someone who is obese due to poor eating habits and lack of exercise vs. medical conditions that contribute to their obesity. ever go to the mall and see a very heavy woman walking with her child? more often then not the child is heavy as well. sure, it could be poor eating habits but more then likely its genitics.

most who smoke crack on a regular basis have no full time job and therefore would not have health insurance so that really doesnt apply and flying an airplane is still much safer then traveling in ones car.

many people have to fly due to business travel and unless one plans on taking a boat accross the Atlantic ocean how would one get to other countries? and if ur taking a vacation to Cali from NY it would take you a week to get out there and a week to get back so I think ur reaching a little too far when trying to justify the poison you put in ur body that does nothing but HARM to ur body.

Back