Small air box mod

Hi Folks i'm new here so HI :thumbsup: I did the Mod, Cut the stack where the flap is as shown, i left the CEG valve in just unhooked the hose and pluged it up,I also pluged ALL the other holes in the airbox except the middle one that goes to the engine,took it for a small boot and WOW more responsive and no more backfire :laugh: I have the CARBON DEVILS on her, B 4 it would backfire and be sluggish at low RPM.

So tks to all of ur posts :bowdown:

Hi Folks i'm new here so HI :thumbsup: I did the Mod, Cut the stack where the flap is as shown, i left the CEG valve in just unhooked the hose and pluged it up,I also pluged ALL the other holes in the airbox except the middle one that goes to the engine,took it for a small boot and WOW more responsive and no more backfire :laugh: I have the CARBON DEVILS on her, B 4 it would backfire and be sluggish at low RPM.

So tks to all of ur posts :bowdown:
Now you should do the AIR Pump removal... That got rid of all my backfiring.

AIR Pump removal..where is that?
It's a pump where the silver tubes by your header flanges run to. You remove the tubes and pump assembly, put block off plates that you buy or make. Remove and cap off a part of your leftside throttlebody and airbox. There's an entire how-to write up on this forum about it.

The reason Suzuki put it there was to feed fresh air into the exhaust system and breakup emissions. This pump is useless w/ an aftermarket system.

3 reasons why you should do this MOD:

1)Free's up room behind your radiator to work.
2)Gives you more accurate A/F readings when tuning your bike.
3)Eliminates backfiring.

Last edited:
Or do the marble mod, so if you ever have to have the bike emissions tested, just remove the marble and the pair system works again.

Now you need to fill the hole from the vaccumm valve, i use some ABS plastic , which you can find at most Car audio stores! Cut the abs into a circle so it will cover the hole. You can attach it with JB weld epoxy!

Instead of finding ABS plastic, would it be possible to just use the flapper plastic and butcher it up to cover that hole?

Just did the mod and left the valve in but capped both sides. Seemed to run smoother on revs while sitting haven't had chance to ride yet cause of rain. Going to need to get it dyno tuned anyway I got PC5 and did this mod.

I want to add one thing to this all.When at PCC bike shop, they have the adapters for the ram air scoops that block out the hotair that is sucked thru the foam seal.A nice addition to this mod.Hot air bad for perfomance.

For all you tech geeks.

Is it really necessary to remove the vacuum operated actuator? as long as the flapper is removed and the area inside the air filter wall is cut out, aren't you achieving the same result? even with the vacuum hose plugged into the actuator?

Hello, I was wanting to do this to my bike. But before I do I was wanting to know if anyones had a chance to run the bike at top end. Someone on here mentioned that low and mid range was better but top end was worst. Anyone have any info about that, or any other negitive effects by doing this? Thanks

Hello, I was wanting to do this to my bike. But before I do I was wanting to know if anyones had a chance to run the bike at top end. Someone on here mentioned that low and mid range was better but top end was worst. Anyone have any info about that, or any other negitive effects by doing this? Thanks

Never heard of that unless it leaned out bad.....get it tuned and you will have a few more HP on top and more in the middle.

alright cool thanks. I've got to look into finding someone around here that can tune it. I live in the Fla. Keys so that might be a challenge.

Well I tested the sensor and it does seem to be bad so I have one on the way. Does anyone know if I will have to bleed the system when I replace it?

Next you need to remove the vaccum vale from the bottom of the box, this is done by turning it clockwise! Then angling the valve so it will release from the flap!

Is it absolutely necessary to remove the vacuum valve from the airbox? I just left mine in, plugged into the vacuum hose. I just removed the flapper and did the cut out.

The main thing that I want to know like alot of other people who want to do this mod is do you need to remove the vaccum valve and if you do what do you need to plug the vaccum line with????

You can leave it in if you want, and just use a small bolt to plug the line !
The main thing that I want to know like alot of other people who want to do this mod is do you need to remove the vaccum valve and if you do what do you need to plug the vaccum line with????

Back