Slow Starting

fast old guy

Registered
Need advice Guys! For the last 6 months or so, my 06 Busa with 17K miles has become slow to start. Battery is good and the engine turns over quickly, it just takes longer to fire off. Cold start with choke is the quickest, but it's slowed to the point that it takes about 3 seconds or more to fire off. After the bike gets hot it takes longer, twice as long. After starting it runs great as it always has. Been told that maybe the valves need adjusting and may have something to do with fuel delivery. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Fast Old Guy

17k is such a low mileage. I guess it COULD need the valves checked, but not likely at such a low mileage.

Didn't think so. The bike has been coddled as busa's go. Bought the bike new so I know the history. I do my own maintenance and have been meticulous in doing so.

Curious where this thread goes. My 2007 with less than 9000 miles is getting harder to start too. Engine is all stock, and I always let the fuel system fully pressurize before trying to start.

IMO, you only need to have the throttle bodies synced. It will make a huge difference. Past that maybe the plugs.

I can't imagine what valves or throttle bodies can have anything to do with his problem. Especially disturbing is the fact that it gets worse when the bike is hot.

There are only two choices here since the battery is fine and it cranks good - either spark is missing, or you got fuel delivery problems. I would rule out the absence of spark because at least some cylinders would fire, and the engine would start although having abrupt and unstable rpm for a few moments. If the engine sounds fine once it starts, then it doesn't look like you have a problem with the spark. There is a remote possibility that ECU doesn't send a signal to spark plugs because it is defective or because of some defective sensor.

That leaves the fuel issue. Partially clogged injectors can do that. If the bike runs fine at higher rpm (requiring lots of fuel), I would rule out clogged fuel line/fuel pump issues. So, I would put a quality fuel cleaner per their instructions - use only Sea Foam, or Red Line, or Techron. Most everything else is junk. Also, if you crank for a few seconds and it doesn't start - stop cranking and run to the exhause and smell it. If you don't smell any gas, this means the gas was not injected into the combustion chamber.

Are you getting any codes? Do you hear the fuel pump prime once you turn the key to ON? If it doesn't and only starts working when you are cranking, there is not enough fuel pressure in the lines to push the fuel through the injectors, and it takes a couple of seconds to build it up.

You could certainly pull the plugs and take a look if they look fine. You can also test that the fule pump moves enough fuel by disconnecting the line going to injectors, putting it in some sort of a container and trying to turn the key to ON. In a few seconds it should produce more than an ounce of fuel.

I personally had exactly the same problem with a car - would crank excessively before it starts - especially in the morning. Put the bottle of Techron in, and the issue is GONE! Starts pretty quick.

Pay attention where you are getting gas. If you are getting mostly in the same place, I would research their quality of gas. Also, try using Shell gas stations. Their gas is a bit more expensive, but they have cleaning additives and no junk in their gas - well worth the extra $$.

Please let us know what you discover. But be consistent - that's the only way to draw logical conclusions.

So, I would put a quality fuel cleaner per their instructions - use only Sea Foam, or Red Line, or Techron. Most everything else is junk. Also, if you crank for a few seconds and it doesn't start - stop cranking and run to the exhause and smell it.
I personally had exactly the same problem with a car - would crank excessively before it starts - especially in the morning. Put the bottle of Techron in, and the issue is GONE! Starts pretty quick.

I had the same problem and running Red Line in it definitely helped it out. I usually use BP or Shell gas but apparently it needed the Red Line also.

Please let us know what you discover. But be consistent - that's the only way to draw logical conclusions.[/QUOTE]

Well I took your advice. Everything checked out....fuel pump, valves all in spec, plugs good, no codes. Added Techron to a tank of gas and the slow starting is getting better. I think another dose will fix me up. Thanks for the responses.

techtron is my first step for anything that might be fuel related. I start futzing around after that. I have on many bike run a bottle through every 5 thousand miles or 6 months just to keep thing healthy. Half a bottle per tank till the bottle is gone.

Great to hear that things are getting better. Also, 1100 rpm is a bit too low. I'd say shoot for 1500 rpm - this is better from practical perspective.

I'd run some cleaner additive like seafoam and take it from there. Also that lever isn't a choke. It's a fast idle. It raises your idle to help the bike warm up and not stall while its cold.

Back