Shorty Exhaust And Back Pressure

Jenny Busa

Registered
I have been reading some articles about the dilemma between it's a myth and others say it is necessary.
I have a 4 into 1 with a shorty moto GP style that has a Sanderson baffle in it on my 2007 Hayabusa. I love the sound but I am being told by different people I may need more back pressure. If I have lost a little power that is ok right now since the bike is new to me, I am NOT looking to be the fastest one out there but I am concerned about hurting the motor or fuel system. What do you think?
Any input would be appreciated

When it comes to using a GP or short meg style canister, it is definitely all in the header for best performance. Stepped primary pipes and length is why. A stock header will show less performance with one of those stubbys or short cans.

Are you really using a true 4-1 header? You will lose low to mid power compared to the 4-2-1 systems.

With a 4 to 1 on the Gen I, it would be best to get it tuned if you want the most you can get from the exhaust as it relates to performance. Otherwise, ride and enjoy.

Thanks for your input. It is a 4 to 1 but I do not know the brand, it was on the bike when I bought it.
If I run this exhaust will I hurt her? I am ok with a little loss of power still getting comfortable with her.

I think you need to get her on a dyno Jenny to make sure she's not running weak or rich due to the exhaust changes. You don't need a power commander because the stock ecu is programmable. My supercharged Busa still runs the stock ecu :D:race:

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all your input. Looks like I will get her tuned in the future, she is going to be a work in process
Hi Jenny And thanks I have the white busa . It will have over 700 hp when done. ON your bike a little rich is ok its safe for the motor but not to rich or you can foul plugs or way to rich gas wash the motor hurt the rings. To lean you can melt a piston so get it tuned A S A P If you are near L I N Y frank at powerhouse is the best. IF you need his number call me at 774 328 2265.

Jenny if you have not messed with the intake side of the bike a header with that pipe will not hurt anything. That being said when you do change, and you will :) , i would suggest a tune. As it sits though you have no worries, may just be a little down on power. I bet you wont really notice.

The back pressure debate has been going on forever;

https://vpexhaust.com/exhaust-back-pressure-a-myth/

I'm OK~ with my shorty muffler ~ works with my Yoshimura header . . .

600_457382509-jpe.1570782.jpg

Feel FREE to follow along @ www.Instagram.com/RocketRedC . . .

Jenny if you have not messed with the intake side of the bike a header with that pipe will not hurt anything. That being said when you do change, and you will :) , i would suggest a tune. As it sits though you have no worries, may just be a little down on power. I bet you wont really notice.
Viper I am not saying you are wrong. I have fixed a stock bike with a hole in number 2 or 3 piston from running lean from factory with less than 1000 miles on it. It can happen. like he said get it tuned!

Viper I am not saying you are wrong. I have fixed a stock bike with a hole in number 2 or 3 piston from running lean from factory with less than 1000 miles on it. It can happen. like he said get it tuned!

A 4 into 1 header will have enough back pressure. A 4-2-1 may be a little light, but not enough to run lean enough to cause problems. The rule of thumb has pretty much always been exhaust only no problem. Exhaust and intake tune.

Tune for fixing choppiness in the low to mid range when snapping the throttle to WFO so in general tune for better rideability and for max power under WFO. Otherwise it will not hurt your engine if you have no tune at all, it just will not be optimal and rideability may suck. In my experience, I have yet to see someone blow a stock engine from just exhaust and intake enhancements so it surprises me when someone mentions that........

Tune for fixing choppiness in the low to mid range when snapping the throttle to WFO so in general tune for better rideability and for max power under WFO. Otherwise it will not hurt your engine if you have no tune at all, it just will not be optimal and rideability may suck. In my experience, I have yet to see someone blow a stock engine from just exhaust and intake enhancements so it surprises me when someone mentions that........
Thanks Busashot:bounce:

Back