Server 2012

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Is it just me or is Microsoft really starting to look like Linux?

• Powershell 3 is the suggested tool (All command line)
  • Core Install is the default with no GUI
  • Remote Management is suggested

Did I mention that Microsoft now has the new Metro look that goes from their tablet all the way to Datacenter 2012... Nothing is the same as it has been.. Be prepared to learn Microsoft all over again from Windows 8 all the way up....

All I got out of that was:

"Blah, blah, blah, Microsoft, blah, blah, blah, Microsoft"

So, in other words, I am not the Droid you are looking for.... :whistle:

• Core Install is the default with no GUI
Maybe I have different expectations, but when I'm setting up a server that's in a 1U case, I don't expect a GUI. I was actually surprised to learn Windows server had a GUI, the one time I tried it back in 2003. ???

Anyway, why are you wasting your money on Microsoft products (or why is the company you work for doing so?) Give up and embrace the penguin, as the majority of the Internet does. :laugh:

I think not having a GUI is a plus and minus. The plus being quicker boots and less overhead from not running a GUI. The minus is that managing the server will be tougher for some people and a bigger learning curve.

I personally love CLIs and Powershell. I'm actually working on rebuilding Alaska Railroad's 7 server Exchange 2010 SP2 environment and I've been able to script 90% of the work thanks to Powershell and things will only get better with Server 2012 in my opinion. :beerchug:

Ok, I'm fascinated but completely and totally over my head...

Maybe I have different expectations, but when I'm setting up a server that's in a 1U case, I don't expect a GUI. I was actually surprised to learn Windows server had a GUI, the one time I tried it back in 2003. ???

Anyway, why are you wasting your money on Microsoft products (or why is the company you work for doing so?) Give up and embrace the penguin, as the majority of the Internet does. :laugh:

Umm I've been on Linux for at least 12 years... My point is more towards the fact that Microsoft that once touted that they had a GUI and you didn't need to know CLI Is now pushing CLI and trying to move away from GUI.. For a guy that has been using Linux, as I do at work and just like this site runs on it's just interesting to see the transition. Let's just say I use Linux, Windows, VMware, and a lot of hardware in my job.... :)

Umm I've been on Linux for at least 12 years... My point is more towards the fact that Microsoft that once touted that they had a GUI and you didn't need to know CLI Is now pushing CLI and trying to move away from GUI.. For a guy that has been using Linux, as I do at work and just like this site runs on it's just interesting to see the transition. Let's just say I use Linux, Windows, VMware, and a lot of hardware in my job.... :)
Ahh, wasn't aware of that. :whistle:

But maybe this is a good thing. Not for Microsoft, but for me. :laugh:

All I got out of that was:

"Blah, blah, blah, Microsoft, blah, blah, blah, Microsoft"

So, in other words, I am not the Droid you are looking for.... :whistle:
Sorry Capt but this was seriously funny.... had to clean the coffee off my keyboard :p

Back