running hot when stopped, but cools real fast once i move

killertiller

Registered
So finally some hot weather n i notice the bike at a stop will get rite up to a hair below red. N soon as i start moving it cools rite down to bout middle of gauge just a lil above. So to me its telling me the electric fan aint workn good enuff. It comes on just wont cool bike. I pretty sure if i am dead stopped in traffic for extended time it will get to the red. I only stoppn for red lights n it gets rite there fast.

All kinds of things could be wrong. Air in the system, old fluid, bad fan or wiring/relay. Theres a fan mod some people do to the gen I's to fix that (adding second fan). Do a search for fan mod or second fan.

My 2003 tiller always heated upat lights....change the therm to a 150 or 170 stock i think was 190...that helps a lot. also put a switch on the fan so you can kick it on automatically.

Thanks guys imma get thermostat n do fan switch mod. I seen they have a fan switch that kicks fan on sooner. Is that gud idea or just better to run manual switch

run a switch...ps i think it is switched on the ground side brother. i could be wrong i cant remember for sure. in the summer i just ran my fan all the time. its stays hot enough anyway.

Start it up and let the temp go up and see where the fan kicks on. If it does not kick on early enough then you know its not the fan. Check the switch kicking it on. Instead of rigging things, I have never had a problem in the heat, city driving I would just fix the problem. The thermostat could be stuck but I would think it would be stuck shut or partially not letting coolant flow through like normal. Just my 2 cents..

Hi all I had a very similar problem with my 03 and couldnt figure it out I took it to the dealer figure let the trained pros handle the problem what I got was a bill for changing the coolant and a clean bill of health. Onely thing is it still happens or should I say happened just a little later(since she was crashed somewhat since then) especially on hot days standing in traffic. These are some good ideas thanks once I tackle my electrical problem I will jump on this

Back