Road crack patches / slippery stuff!

BentValve

Alive & enjoying it!
Donating Member
Registered
Damn, I hit a long stretch of repaired road cracks after just making a right hand turn coming off the freeway, I was on the throttle pretty hard when I hit it and my front tire slid around on it until I was over the repaired crack...had my heart a thumpin'!

Beware of those tared up cracks in the road, they can bite!

The proper name is "tar snakes".
smile.gif

I'll never forget my first experience last year with those damn things. Had only a few hundred miles on the Busa, went around a corner and the whole bike felt like it was going out from under me. I assumed I blew a tire and pulled over. Everything was fine. Rode a few miles real slow and no problems, even debated on whether I should take it back to the dealer. I suspected those strips of tar but wasn't sure they could cause that kind of movement.
Next day I went through that same area with my car and I felt the whole car get squirly. Stopped off to get gas and walked out to the street and stepped on one...it was like chewing gum, I could stretch that crap 6" to 8" and it would snap right back. Definitely enough to cause a motorcycle to go down or even panic a driver in a car.

The process is somewhat new around here and I have hit them in other areas but for some reason they really laid those tar snakes on thick in that one section of road. This year they've flattened out enough to the point they are no longer noticeable.

Yep , that would be the ones. Honestly I dont ever remember find a patch that was as slippery as the set I ran into today. Must be a newer material like you are talking about. The stuff is like ice.

Hate em tar snakes... they are worse then potholes!! Makes the bike really un-stable
mad.gif

Back