Reno Air Races

PaceMaster

Donating Member
Registered
Not a good day for air race buffs....This race happens only one hour from where i live...Iv'e been to quite a few of them over the years.
My thoughts go out to the victim's and survivors... RIP :please:

I saw the footage and some of the pics Ralph.. Unbelievable how fragile life is..

Our community has been rocked, last night, ambulances flying around, rescue choppers flying low and fast to the location. I live near the airport and every year it's so fun to look out at the tarmac and see amazing vintage airplanes that have flown in from all over the world to see the air races. They line the private planes up like cars showing up for a MotoGP race or rock concert....the stay for a week then, after the races, fly away home. Just yesterday I pulled over and stared at matching privately owned 1950's, Saberjets, just flown in(freeking military jets, fully restored and privately owned, parked like a Gold Wing or BMW fresh off the interstate!) . As I looked up at the sky the Thunderbirds flew across the horizon to the north. Lear and Citations taxied around the runway. I'm not a pilot but, geeze, the energy in Reno during these races is amazing and similar to Daytona Bike Week, Superbowl, etc. Some of my neighbors have planes of their own and they literally live at the races this week. It's part of the Reno culture, Fallon Naval Air Station is nearby and it's home to some "top gunners" so that helps too.
Having said all that, flying monster modified race planes at a few hundred feet off the deck at 4-500 mph in front of a crowd has risks equal to the thrills. It's so tragic and we all mourn the losses. The somber adult in me asks, "should we continue this type of competition?" The tire smoking, track riding, brakee, wheelie motorcyclist in me says, "hey, they all choose to play in those waters, knowing the risks, it's their right to continue, do we want to die in a bed or doing what we love?" Doyle

R.I.P. to all involved.

It is not tragic to die doing what you love!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Yes, incredibly tragic and sad. No one goes to an air show saying I want to die."C'est la vie", prayers to the victim's and their family's.

what about in a bed doing who you love? it's aviation, the risks that are taken, though mitigated as much as possible, cannot be eliminated completely. my prayers go to their families in dealing with this tragedy. and i hope they won't stop racing either.

Back