Removing the Shim under bucket

1slowbusa

Registered
I am new to the forum and really learning alot about the Hayabusa. I have a 2003 that i just bought and it has 14750 miles on it. I read Jinksters how to check valve clearance and it was great. I am going to try and do this myself. Then i read on about changing the shims if i have to. Is there a special tool to remove the shim or did i miss that part? Also I am about to do a complete tune up= radiator fluid/hoses, oil/filter, spark plugs, brake lines/fluid, clutch lines/fluid is there anything else you would recommend or or change while i am in during surgery?

Thanks

What about Preventative Maintenace? Wouldnt it be good to check them anyways?

Last edited:
What about Preventative Maintenace? Wouldnt it be good to check the anyways?

I have two busa's , one with 56,000 and one with 43,000 , both have had their valve clearance checked and neither one have need adjustment.

Ok thanks. Do you recommend a milage that they should be checked? Or if i start hearing them or if it is hard to start?

To answer your question, the shims will either be "stuck" to the tappet (bucket) with oil or you can use a little magnet to remove them from the center of the valve.

Now that said, just check the clearance...you're probably OK.

To answer your question, the shims will either be "stuck" to the tappet (bucket) with oil or you can use a little magnet to remove them from the center of the valve.

Now that said, just check the clearance...you're probably OK.

Thanks

Back