rear wheel problem

black diamond busa

Team Jacob
Registered
2001 hayabusa 19,000 miles.

im new to working on bikes but not trucks so i will best explain this the best i can. on my rear wheel where the gear is bolted to the wheel i would think to call the "HUB". when shut off and in gear i have slack in the "HUB" front to back, which i dont know if thats normal but i also have slack side to side. i made sure the gear is tight and all the play is coming from the "HUB". any ideas would help because im lost and dont know if thats normal. trying to get everything ready for a 1000 mile plus ride on july 4th weekend.

Sounds like cush drive berrings. They are the little back 1/2 moon looking things in the Hub behind the sprocket....Gen II anyways, I don't know what the Gen I looks like but I know they have them too.

2001 hayabusa 19,000 miles.

im new to working on bikes but not trucks so i will best explain this the best i can. on my rear wheel where the gear is bolted to the wheel i would think to call the "HUB". when shut off and in gear i have slack in the "HUB" front to back, which i dont know if thats normal but i also have slack side to side. i made sure the gear is tight and all the play is coming from the "HUB". any ideas would help because im lost and dont know if thats normal. trying to get everything ready for a 1000 mile plus ride on july 4th weekend.

I'm not sure from your description if you have too much slack there, but it's possible. The hub just pushes in to the wheel where it's supported by 5 rubber spacers called cush drives, they wear out and get sloppy. They're also a cheap, easy replacement.

Local dealer, also somebody may want to post the torque spec for the axle nut. I think it was like 66 or 76 but I'm probably wrong, it's been a while.

BlackDB, just to put your mind at ease, this is pretty normal for any Japanese bike with chain drive and it is rarely a cause for concern. They are there to absorb rapid shock forces from beating your chain to death. You can replace the cush drives, but they will get loose again in a few thousand miles, at least the stock ones.

The high performance ones posted by SixPack are probable better (and hardly more expensive!), but I will bet your stock ones are fine.

Also, take the hub out and see if cush drive pieces are completely seated inside the wheel. Each of them has an alignment piece which goes in the wheel tightly. If you get a stubborn one, just apply some grease, and it will go right in. You can also apply some grease to the cush pieces themselves - where the hub goes in.

Also, make sure you don't miss a spacer.

Back