Rear wheel knock

solo_md

Registered
I took off the rear wheel (my first time doing this) in order to have the tire replaced and i also changed the rear sprocket. When i reassembled the rear wheel and spin the tire while on the rear stand i get a knocking sound as i rotate the tire. i checked to ensure nothing was rubbing, moved the tire left and right to ensure everything is tight and can't seem to find the problem. I also removed the wheel again and rotated the parts individually to figure the problem out. by the way i never removed the bearings but i can't rule them out. i have greased every moving part. any suggestions?

If you had the chain back one after you put it back together, then this is most likely the problem. I lube my chain all the time and sometimes I get this knocking noise you talk about when I lube my chain and spin the tire.

If you had the chain back one after you put it back together, then this is most likely the problem.  I lube my chain all the time and sometimes I get this knocking noise you talk about when I lube my chain and spin the tire.
sorry i don't understand your reference to the chain. to add when i attenpted to ride slowly on my street the knocking increased due to the tire obviously rotating faster. but somthing seems wrong.

hmmm, totally interesting... Sunday if it's nice, I'd like to take a look at it...although, somehting like that sounds pretty serious...try not to ride to much. I had a similar problem, but it was my chain..old and dirty...some of the links would seize and then snap when the bike power would force it to straighten after leaving the sprocket. it would also snap down on the sprocket when entering(for lack of a better word)...needless to say I got 20,000 miles off of it. Anyhow, shoot me a PM, unless you fix it by Sunday.

hmmm, totally interesting... Sunday if it's nice, I'd like to take a look at it...although, somehting like that sounds pretty serious...try not to ride to much. I had a similar problem, but it was my chain..old and dirty...some of the links would seize and then snap when the bike power would force it to straighten after leaving the sprocket. it would also snap down on the sprocket when entering(for lack of a better word)...needless to say I got 20,000 miles off of it.  Anyhow, shoot me a PM, unless you fix it by Sunday.
thanks for the offer, i'd hate to ask u to travel to Bowie, MD to look at it. i have a friend who is suppose to look at it just hasn't gotten around to it yet.

I took off the rear wheel (my first time doing this) in order to have the tire replaced and i also changed the rear sprocket.  When i reassembled the rear wheel and spin the tire while on the rear stand i get a knocking sound as i rotate the tire.  i checked to ensure nothing was rubbing, moved the tire left and right to ensure everything is tight and can't seem to find the problem.  I also removed the wheel again and rotated the parts individually to figure the problem out.  by the way i never removed the bearings but i can't rule them out.  i have greased every moving part. any suggestions?
Are you sure you put in the correct sprocket, I mean a 530 sprocket?

I took off the rear wheel (my first time doing this) in order to have the tire replaced and i also changed the rear sprocket.  When i reassembled the rear wheel and spin the tire while on the rear stand i get a knocking sound as i rotate the tire.  i checked to ensure nothing was rubbing, moved the tire left and right to ensure everything is tight and can't seem to find the problem.  I also removed the wheel again and rotated the parts individually to figure the problem out.  by the way i never removed the bearings but i can't rule them out.  i have greased every moving part. any suggestions?
Are you sure you put in the correct sprocket, I mean a 530 sprocket?
yes i'm sure it's a 530 sprocket.

Pull the wheel and check the bearings. Are the cush drive rubbrs all in correctly? Is the sprocket tight and not kinked?

Pull the wheel and check the bearings. Are the cush drive rubbrs all in correctly? Is the sprocket tight and not kinked?
i've pulled the wheel this weekend and i can turn the bearings ok.. they seem in tact. the rubbers pretty much only go in one way but i did check them. they are tight in the hole now when i place the hub back on the wheel with the sprocket the there seems to be some play in the hub. i checked to ensure the rubbers are in tight and even but there is some play with the hub. i don't know if that is normal or why there is play if it is not normal.

ok...i feel like an idiot but found the problem....i replaced the rear sprocket which came with self locking bolts. I still used the washers from the OEM sprocket bolts which aren't 1mm but apparently enough to cause the new bolts to hit the swing arm. talk about tolerances!!! I removed the washers and the rear wheel works like a charm. Lessions learned!

Back