Rant: Jet Hot Coatings

LightCycle

Donating Member
Registered
Back in 02 I bought a set of Edelbrock headers for my 97 Trans Am and sent them off to Jet Hot [ http://www.jet-hot.com/ ] to get the stealing silver coating. For anyone not familiar with their products - they provide a heat shield coating for headers and other exhaust parts. Quality work and very quick turn around time. The headers were perfect and they took great pains to ensure that inside the O2 return ports were not coated as well as the bolt-hole threads.

Fast forward 4 years.

I sent a brand new set of Yoshimura 4-1 headers to be coated by Jet Hot. These headers were brand new out of the box and assembled.

When my headers arrived to Jet Hot, I got a call from them and was told that the headers would be disassembled so they could ensure the coating would get into all the nooks and crannies. I said okay, but insisted they be reassembled before they were shipped back, because I was worried that the coating on the joints would increase the fitting tolerance and they wouldn't go back together. She said that had never been a problem in the past and they would put them back together.

Fast forward 1 month

My headers arrive, and they are in pieces. Every part is disassembled. The coating looks like crap with visible bubbles inside and outside the tubes, and to be what looks like a thumb print on the inside of each tube where is looks like it had been grabbed.

Expletives withheld

I attempt to reassemble the headers and immediately notice that the ends of some of the tubes are out-of-round, like they had been put in a vice or something.

I call Jet Hot and spoke with a manager, and after some phone wrangling which really changed my perception of the company, he agreed to have Fed-Ex pick them up and have his repair guy look at them.

I complained about the headers being taken apart in the first place, and his reply was that he was surprised I didn't want them back in pieces.

Fast forward 3 weeks

Headers are back from repair, and still in pieces. The tubes are now round, but the joints are still too thick with coating to fit properly.

So I'm trying to figure out my options. I'm done dealing with those fools, and will never recommend nor use them again.

A. I can try and perform the finish work myself, but have never done anything like this before, therefore can't draw any reference of experience.

B. I can take them to the stealership and get them done properly, but get butt rapped in the process.

Does anyone have any idea what a job like that would cost? Finishing the header joints so they fit back together within tolerance and no leaks?

If I do it myself, anyone have any idea what sort of material I can use to start sanding that coating off? Should I get a rubber mallet and give it a whack here and there to make they fit?

Any help would be great.

If it is a matter of the coating itself being too thick, try starting with a fine then go to ultra fine (wet)grit, 300-500-1000-1500-2000, wrapping around just enough of the tube ends to scuff/sand the coating down. A smooth transition (using light pressure near the coated end and heavier pressure on the sanding end) will aid in keeping the material from chipping off later. On the inside tube joints, do the same thing and just keep test fitting. It is a PITA for sure, but you can get it to fit right, I had to do the same thing a few years ago to get some tubes to fit together, took a hour or so of finishing by hand, but didnt have any issues later.. GL.

Charlie

That sux.....
I would try using some 400 or finer grit sandpaper and only do where you cannot see.
If you can find some sort of tapered plug,this may help round the ends up.

I would send them back and make them send them back to you assembled. It is their problem, you spent good money and should not have to screw with it. You should have gotten them back the way they received them (assembled) and until they can accomplish that they have not finished the job.
mad.gif

bs.gif

keep on complaining to them. if they do not want to repair them, contact there state attonery generals office, and the bbb. if nothing then contact your credit card company.
i have had good luck out of ceramic coating, i allways used a company out of knoxville tennessee.

+1 dont give up, take pictures document everything and fight your way up until they either give you a completly finished product or a new set.

Let us know how we can help.

I'd like to see pics of what you have right now.

Thanks all,

I posted some before and after pics within a new thread here

I plan on sanding the coating down as everyone suggested.... thanks.
beerchug.gif

Just closing the loop on this thread, in the event anyone searches for JET HOT or JET HOTT or JET-HOT or JET-HOTT

Cheers
race.gif

dude your an idiot if you start sanding on them or if you take a mallet to them their problem automatically becomes your problem. they will wash their hands of you if you touch them at this point. id go ahead and do the leg work and make sure this gets taken care of. in anextreme case they will wind up buying you a new system and in a normal situation they will undo their f@#k up and do what you told them to do the first time.

Don't touch them, and don't loose your cool... Find someone else at Jet Hot to talk too. I've sent several folks here at the shops to them and all of them have had nothing but great thigns to say within the last year or two.

They are a stand up organization, they should get you squared away... Be patient, explain carefully to them what your problem is and what you want them to do...

It should be put right no worries.

(Revlis @ Oct. 05 2006,13:28) Don't touch them, and don't loose your cool... Find someone else at Jet Hot to talk too. I've sent several folks here at the shops to them and all of them have had nothing but great thigns to say within the last year or two.

They are a stand up organization, they should get you squared away... Be patient, explain carefully to them what your problem is and what you want them to do...

Exactly what Rev said, be nice but be firm.

If the coating looks like shite,send them back....
If it is more of a fit issue,send them to me and I'll make them fit perfect.
It's not a big deal to fix.

I have had many headers sent to them for coating, but they were 1 piece. I have had great luck with them. Keep calling them and talk to as many people you can. A company with their reputation and size should do some thing for you. good luck!

see if there is a place that does the same thing locally...

I had mine HPC treated.....I couldn't have asked for anything better.
I was able to inspect them prior to getting them home.

You need to send the manager a link to this post. If they see they're getting a bad rep on the internet, it has a lot more pull. At this point they think your just one dissatisfied customer.

(nitrousjunkie @ Oct. 05 2006,01:53)
(Revlis @ Oct. 05 2006,13:28) Don't touch them, and don't loose your cool...  Find someone else at Jet Hot to talk too.  I've sent several folks here at the shops to them and all of them have had nothing but great thigns to say within the last year or two.  

They are a stand up organization, they should get you squared away...  Be patient, explain carefully to them what your problem is and what you want them to do...

Exactly what Rev said, be nice but be firm.
+ 2
wink.gif

Back