Raised the rear over the weekend, feels like...

Here are some pics I took, hopefully someone can notice what is being used, and can be adjusted so the ride dosn't feel so wierd

DSCN0702.jpg

DSCN0699.jpg

DSCN0700.jpg

DSCN0698.jpg

DSCN0697.jpg

thumb_up.gif

You need at minimum a 1.1kg/mm spring rate in the front (Race Tech #FRSP S3825110, though I'd recommend 1.2kg/mm #FRSP S3825120) and a 900lb/in spring in the rear (Eibach).
I read through this thread and was not convinced I really knew where your bike was compared to stock.  If you're 250 and doing some two-up riding, you definately need more spring front and rear. I agree with what's quoted here, with 1.1 kg/mm front springs and the Eibach in the rear.  I had this set-up on my gen 1 and after setting sag properly it handled beautifully.  I'm 280.  I did try 1.2 springs in front once and it was too stiff for me. I actually kept the shock/spring off my gen 1 that I sold in April.  Only 1400 miles on it.  I thought it might fit my gen II.  If I don't need it, I'll post it here.

You posted pics while I was typing the last. Your front looks dropped 1/2" (fork tubes raised) and you're not using your preload. With stock springs in the front you need all the preload you can add and you should slide those tubes back down to stock position. I think your rear dogleg is stock (not a +1"), so the shop must have simply increased the preload on your rear spring. Do the adjustments to the front for now and you'll be much happier!

Your front end is lowered. The very top of your forks should be flush with the top of your tripple clamp (the black one under your risers). That is why you have the dip in feeling. Those are not stock dog bones under your shock (4th picture down 1st one after forks) they are adjustable lowering dogbones that most likely your shop cut the adjustability out of to put it back to resemble stock height. Most cheap "adjustable" dogbones are not really adjustable to the stock height unless you cut them like this. The are only adjustable to the down position. So the answer to your question is you need to put this bike back into stock configuration. It is easy to do if you have stands, all you need is a couple sockets and a couple alen wrenchs< I will be more then happy to walk you through it if you need help. But regardless if you do it or some one else does it you need to get your hands on some stock dogbones, and it would help if you could borrow someones stock bar clamp for readjusting your front end. Let me know if you are doing this yourself and can not get your hands on the top clamp. I Have one I could let you borrow or I might know someone who would trade you for yours. Just PM if you want the help and I will start taking pictures.
beerchug.gif

Some pictures would be great bro. I would love to do the work myself, and dont mind buying the tools I might need to do it. Ill get some new adjustable dog bones and a stock bar clamp. Thanks for all the great info, I cant wait to get the bike feeling good again!
bowdown.gif

YOU DON'T WANT ADJUSTABLE DOGBONES!!! That is a little bit of the problem. Get Stock dogbones and we can go from there. I will start taking pictures tonight, let me know if you have an interest in trading your skeleton (silver) triple clamp for a stock one I got someone who would be interested. talk to you soon

The dogbones you have were Brock's (Brock Davidson Enterprises, hence the BDE on them) adjustable lowering links. They are now in the stock height position (highest). The other (lowering) positions have been cut off. Loosen the triple clamp pinch bolts with a pin-type front stand (like a Pit Bull) in the steering stem from underneath to keep the bike from slamming to the ground. Adjust the fork tubes so that the major diameter is flush with the top of the black clamp. If you don't have that type of front stand, you can get away with a block of wood and a floor jack underneath the oil pan. Like In10SS said, crank up the front preload by turning the preload adjusters (brass nut) in. If you want to raise the rear, I have some +1" links left, $25TYD.

Don't trade your skeletonized top clamp for a stocker. It is worth more money than a stocker to someone who wants to lower their bike since the stock top clamp will not allow it. If you really decide you want a stock top clamp cover, sell the one you have, buy a stocker, and use the money just you made to buy beer.
beerchug.gif

+1 links are nice but I think they would put you right back into that forward lean position that you said you didn't like. I have +1 links and love them but I don't ride 2 up either. You don't need a stock clamp to put back to stock config it just makes it easier. But I did want to tell you if you are going to ditch the bar risers then you need to get the shorter bolts to put the bike back togther. I will try and get some pictures togther this week to start you on your way. It really is easy should only take you a hour to do it. Do you have a stem stand? if not your going to want to track one down or start thinking which way you are going to support the front end. Also do you have the front axle removal tool? Shoot me a pm with your email since the board is going down for a week so I can get you this info. Good luck
beerchug.gif

Back