R1 wheel conversion with pic's

Well that depends on what your definition of "high speeds" is .........:laugh: Been up over 100+mph with no problems, with the new gearing setup and throttle mod it seems to get there a whole lot faster. It feels so much lighter and responds more to my body positioning so i'm still getting used to that but it holds true and fast in a straight line.

Have ya noticed the bumps are bit harsher now? I put a set of CZ's on last spring and noticed the suspension felt a bit to harsh with less wheel weight to deal with. I softened it up, which helped, think it needs more tho.

Definitely agree with it feeling like a new bike and over dueing it in turns, its just takes less effort to get it do what ya want :thumbsup:

No havent really noticed it feeling harsher, perhaps? It feels more responsive so I guess if you look at it that way. Im not gonna take any chances regardless. Just finished up with a couple Black Friday deals online and got everything I need to redo my suspension front and rear. Cant wait to see how the racetech parts compliment my bike with these lighter rims. Also gonna raise the rear an inch and go with a 190/55 rear tire, that should help my busa float like a butterfly and sting like a bee :laugh:

Thanks for the info. I did the 42 rear sprocket change months ago and it does accelerate quicker. I'm thinking about the wheel swap. I wonder if there are other wheels that will work just as well short of buying carbon fiber wheels, of course.

From all the threads on different forums that I read you can also swap out the Gsxr 1000 rims. I went with the R1's because I think they look better and they weigh slightly less. Next step from there you are talking OZ, Marchesni, or Carrozeria (excuse me if I didnt spell them right but im sure most get the idea) Those rims run $1,800 to $2,500 for a set. I got the R1 rims, rotors, bearings, spacers, and special front axle installed for less than a grand. Im happy with the results and the way I see it the money that I saved will go to other areas of my bike :thumbsup:

From all the threads on different forums that I read you can also swap out the Gsxr 1000 rims. I went with the R1's because I think they look better and they weigh slightly less. Next step from there you are talking OZ, Marchesni, or Carrozeria (excuse me if I didnt spell them right but im sure most get the idea) Those rims run $1,800 to $2,500 for a set. I got the R1 rims, rotors, bearings, spacers, and special front axle installed for less than a grand. Im happy with the results and the way I see it the money that I saved will go to other areas of my bike :thumbsup:

I've been looking at different threads on the Internet about this mod for my gen2 and I really like the fact that you can get everything done like you said for less than a grand! I can't see myself spending that kind of cash for brand name motorcycle wheels. A lot o the guys that do it are drag races but you just confirmed how good they are in curves too. :thumbsup:

Yeah its like I said for the price of a pair of those aftermarket rims your gonna spend well over 2k and if your real serious and get a pair of BST's your spending twice that amount. The money I saved going this route Im able to get my suspension redone and start working on my engine. I also didnt want to dump a whole bunch of money on a pair of pricey rims and not really know what to expect. Now that I see and feel the difference from just dropping a couple pounds with these R1 rims I know down the road it might be worth it :thumbsup:

ive installed the r1 wheels on my drag bikes as well love the look but has anyone had any issues with them performance wise>?

Yeah go on Psychobike and PM him. If his mailbox is full just post up a thread on there lookig for the axle. He should hit you back or somebody should be able to give you an email addy

Here are some pic's with my R1 wheels...it was pretty easy...just bought a front axle from chopleg and spaced the calipers with some washers...and bam...looks and weight savings:cheerleader:

Hi. I'm new to the forum and saw your bike during researches. Have to ask you what seat did you use on your bike? I have the same set up. 04 Busa with 08 GSXR-1000 tail. But yours looks better. Also, what bracket did you use? Stock gsxr rear subframe or customed? Thanks. By the way, nice ride!! I'll be doing the R1 wheel swap soon.

Chopaleg is awesome to deal with. Very helpful guy. Drove up there today. Met him, got the front axle shaft and a few other parts. Just finished the front wheel. Will be doin the rear tomorrow. Gonna use the sae outlaws rear rotor so I can use my busa caliper and hanger. That way it gets full contact and still uses the larger rotor.

20150117_200826.jpg

The wheels I used are from a 2005 R1. IMO, best way to do the rear brake on the gen 1 is use the stock hanger and caliper with the custom rotor from sae outlaws.

hey guys will the busa rear axle work on this mod or do u need the r1 rear axle

All u need for the swap On a Gen 1 is the r1 wheels with rotors , bushings and bearings. The custom front axle from chopaleg. Hardened washers for use as spacers on the brake calipers. (I used 2 per bolt to move calipers in) Total of 12 washers for whole swap. On the rear use a TL brake hanger or buy the custom rotor.

Oh and buy a new rear sprocket. The R1 is 45 tooth. I went 44t

Back