R1 wheel conversion with pic's

Has any1 tried to use the R1 rear brake assembly? I read on some other forums that its possible and supposedly works better on account of the R1 rotors being 260 and the busa calipers vary from 220-240. Its supposed to eliminate the small gap in between the rotor and the caliper.

I'm going to have some 5 spoke Yamaha wheels for sale soon, pulling them off my wifes bike if anyone is needing a set. `06 FZ1 the wheel is the same as the R1 except for spacers and rotors, but I have the R1 rotors.

Yes most bikes come factory with a 530. Thats why you see the 520 "conversion" kits for sale. Primarily used for racing to drop a little bit of weight and gain some performance. Sacrifice longevity tho

Just finished up with my R1 wheel mod :thumbsup:

r1rims.jpg

r1rim2.jpg

Yeah they are known for thier alulminum sprockets but they also make steel 1's. Reason I bought it was because it was the only 1 i could find for a R1 in that size the color black. Only $50 brand new off ebay, so I went with a vortex steel front sprocket 16 tooth to go with it. Ive researched alot on this mod and they said each rim is roughly 3lbs lighter than the stock busa rims. So minus the 6lb weight reduction and the 16/42 gearing change It rides like a completely different bike! :thumbsup: Definitely 1 of the best mods ive ever done on my bike.

Been riding for a couple weeks now with the R1 wheels and Im still not used to how the bike is handling. I never had a problem with my busa in turns and maneuvering but it did take a conscious effort sometimes to really get it to lay into the turns. Like I said not a big deal, I eventually got used to it and adjusted my riding style. Now since I put these wheels on I find myself doing too much. I dont know how and I wanted to give it some time to make sure I wasnt caught up in the hype but there is a significant difference in how my busa handles now. It feels lighter and more nimble in and out of turns, I can make them with less effort. Also I put the 16/42 gearing combo on and I heard about how that makes a difference and it lived up to the hype too :thumbsup: My busa pulls so hard now throughout the entire gear, I am actually surprised at how a couple teeth can transform my busa into another bike. For all that is thinking of doing this mod I highly recommend going with the 16/42 set up

Back