Public schools are ruining our world

TruWrecks

Banned
If some of you are wondering what's wrong with the young adults these days.  Lazy, no attention to detail, general appathy, lack of responsability, etc...  I have two  words for you... "Public Education"

Advanced Lazy:
When ever Josh has homework that he doen't feel like handing in he says "it's okay because I have a Late Pass for that class".  His teachers have given him several late passes each semester, and expect that they'll be used.  A "Late Pass"?
rock.gif
 You have got to be kidding!  This is the 8th grade we're talking about!  I had late passes in the 8th grade, but they called it and "F", and summer school!

Dumbing up the generations:
By the 5th grade my boys are being allowed, and expected, to use calculators in class for basic math!  Many times my boys can't do simple math without grabbing the calculator to get the answer!  They resist if I suggest paper and pencil.  When Josh does Algerbra, he depends heavily on the calculator.  It's a real struggle to get him to show his work, because his teachers don't require them to show their work, just the answers.  Let's see...No work, but the correct answer.  My teachers called they "cheating"!  Automatic "F"!

Lack of responsibility 101:
The schools have rules for the students, but they don't have any real consequences for not following them.  If a student gets out of line, the school calls the parents to deal with it later.  I remember a smack on the hand with a ruler!  That usually did the trick!

Willful disreguard for others:
If a student commits and act of violence against another student or teacher, they get suspended for a few days.  Then everything rolls on like it never happened.  If a student is a repeat offender, the school labels them as a "Troubled Child", and says that the student can't be punished because they need help!
rock.gif

Appathy:
Josh has a 2.51 GPA for the year, and the school says he'll be okay because "He's passing".  Passing?  What is he passing, the "Learning to Fail through Life" course?  They'll push him to high school even if he gets all failing grades for this years finals!  Hold him back, and he might get the idea?

Find the loophole 101:
If Josh forgets to have a progress report signed, or his teacher wants him to call us to tell us something, they have him call home.  NEWS FLASH!  I don't get home until about 2 hours after the kids leave school, and my wife gets home even later on her work days.  The kids could simply call the house, leave the message, and delete it when they get home.  So I wouldn't know about it?  The school allows him to call home, even though I have my cell phone listed with the school, and I have told the school NOT to call the house for anything!  They let Josh dial, and they don't check to see if the parents actually got the messages!  Try this: Dial for the student!  Novel idea!  As a parent I'll do what I can, but some things will be better if dealt with by the school.  I.E.  Fix it when it happens, not wait for 2 to 3 hours to see if someone else will fix it!

Did you know that there are groups that are trying to ban the Pledge of Alegeance from public schools, because it might offend someone from a different country?

And the list goes on!

Did you ever wonder why we currently have a 30% drop out rate nationally?  Our public schools are helping to destroy this nation!

Foriegn countries don't have to invade the U.S.  They just need to hold out for a few generations, and let the current Public Education system do what it's doing!  Then they can walk in and take it, while the masses hide like scarred sheep that are unable to think for themselves!

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not blaming the teachers. They're underpaid and over-worked! I'm pinning it on the system! When you have a broken process it won't matter who's doing the job. It will still turn out sub-standard, or un-usable products!

soapbox.gif

<!--EDIT|TruWrecks
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147712784 -->

rock.gif

I have three boys, 2nd grade through 8th grade..

What I have learned is that the problem is not so much with the public system as it is with parents.

Teachers cannot smack a students hand, they will get in trouble.

Most teachers have learned that contacting "MOST" parents about any issues with kids are usually met with either apathy from the parents, or chastising from the parents.

Teachers are not allowed to discipline students anymore, parents have made sure if that. everyone is just waiting for a teacher to cross a line so they can file a law suit and hit the legal jackpot.

Also what I have learned as a parent, if you get involved with the school, get to know each teacher personally, make sure they have cell phone numbers and work numbers and email address, after time you will get to be known as a parent that does care, will get involved and you will find teachers and the school authority in general will be more apt to help you with your kids.

I have been at work and received an email or a phone call about issues with my kids, and I have left work and dealt with it.

I received an email last year to my home computer from the school, all emails from the school are forwarded by a rule to my work.

From the time the teacher sent the email and until I was on the phone with the vice principal was about 5 minutes, another 20 minutes until I was sitting in front of the VP wth my son pulled out of class..

This is not what the school requested, this is what I did. I called and talked to the VP, told him I would be there in 20 minutes and I wanted my son pulled out of class and in his office with us.

He agreed. We had a discussion with my son and have not have the same problem since..

The teachers have learned all they need to do is call me and any problems will be handled immediately so now if there are any issues, all the teacher has to do is say “want me to call your dad?†my sons know now the teacher isn’t bluffing, the teacher knows they can count on me to have their backs.

And as far as study habits go, if you feel it is important for them to show their work. Make them. I usually always make my kids go above and beyond what the teachers ask.

And again, it goes back to “MOST†parents.. Teachers very rarely get ANY support from parents, most parents just whine to the teachers about WHY their kids have so much homework. And most of the time it is because the more homework a kid has, the more the parents have to get involved. just back to bad parenting

So teachers have learned they will not get any support from most parents, so why assign homework that isn’t going to get done?

The problem is not so much with schools as it is with lack of parental involvement with their kids and lack of parental support for teachers.

As I said.. I don’t have any problems with the school systems (yet, knock on wood) and I strongly feel it has to do with the amount my wife and I are involved with our kids and how available we have made ourselves to the school and the teachers..

Too many people look at schools as a day care provider. Which is not the case.. and teachers can only teach what the kids are willing to learn. And kids will only learn what they minimally have to most of the time..

So they key in all of this is the parents. Make the kids do what you think is right. Go to the schools and let the facility know you care, you are involved and you have their backs, write letters and make suggestions if you see problems with what a school is doing…

If a teacher isn’t doing what they are supposed to do. Bring it to someone’s attention. If a teacher is doing everything they can, show them you appreciate them so they have the mental strength to continue.

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147717780 -->

I have to agree with Thrasher...I don't blame schools as much as I blame the parents...parents have gotten far too lazy when it comes to their own children and they jump at the chance to blame anyone but themselves for problems their children are having...

I'm only just beginning this road with my kids...Sam will be out of Kindergarten in just a month...but, I have already witnessed far too many things that are more "parental driven" than "school driven" that have created issues for kids...overzealous Mom's that find it okay to let the schools know how "they expect things to be done"...teachers upset that their hands are tied when it comes to things like dicipline and placing children in more suitable environments, just needing help with the overcrowded classrooms...tools available to teachers nowadays are not up to par; think the school board is going to vote to give them better supplies and equipment? Think they'll give 'em that payraise they deserve?

I think the public school system can only be as good as those that created it's design, those responsible for maintaining it's integrity and structure...politics usually ruins a lot. In small town, like where I live, it's more about "what a board member's constituants would approve of", not "what's best for the children"...

And in "sue happy" America, believe me, there's always a parent out there just waiting for the public school system to "do their child wrong" so they can point and blame, maybe make a buck...

Let's not forget, in "our day" (I graduated in 1988), I knew many students that simply floated through school...graduating without being able to read or write...not much has changed except that we lay blame on the schools...parents need to wake up...

I do agree though, it would be nice if we'd get kids back to basics, maybe teach them math without the calculator, though how many of us can do it now anyway? Isn't technology great?
smile.gif

For all the bad, there's also good...kids are learning far more at an early age than we ever did...my son can use a computer, knows how to read and write, understands money and telling time, and can do beginning math...all before his 6th birthday...my version of Kindergarten was just about play, nap time and when do we get our snack? And it was all done in 1/2 of a day, not the full day my son puts in...

I certainly don't teach my kids to be lazy or apathetic! I have been dealing with the schools in Everett for several years now. The teachers know my very well, and will call me if a very serious event occurs. The school office knows my by name and face. I have been to almost every school function (job permitting) and parent-teacher conference. I volenteered at the middle school my boys are at for 2 years, in addition to my job and business! I offer help on homework. I used to practice trumpet with my 8th grader, until he quit bringing it home.

I have seen many parents that do consider school "A break from the kids", but I most certainly do not! I try to teach my boys by example. I work hard, and smart, to get what I want! I go the extra mile for other people, without expecting it in return.

If I conducted my work with the same method my boys are learning at school, I'd be changing jobs every other week! I might last 2 weeks with a forgiving boss. I have worked for the same company for 6 years, and have gained considerable respect from my peers. I have worked my way up to a decent wage, and I continue to strive for better accuracy in my work. I have achieved over 95% error free work over the last 6 years, while working to improve to a better rate every year.

I take responsibility for my mistakes. I don't let other people take the heat for me. I'd rather loose my job, than loose the respect of my friends and peers. If I make a mistake at work, I let my manager know what happened, and how I'm going to correct it.

Am I missing something here? We have enough well-fair addicts in Everett for an entire state. My taxes pays for a lot of people that don't care to take care of themselves. I'm pretty sure I'm not the example they're following.

As for everything else in my life...If I don't like the result, I'd better change the actions to got me there. I guess I'll be paying for private school next year!

Doug, I wasn't saying that you're one of those parents (and I know Ron wasn't saying that either)...surely you are seeing far more of a school-based problem than I've seen, and you've had your kids in school far longer than I've even had kids, so it's apples and oranges.

I'm certain you do your best as a parent, but as a whole, so much of society (lazy parents) just point a finger and blame the schools instead of doing what you're doing, being active with their kids, pushing them when they need it, making them responsible human beings...it's everything I hope I can do with my own kids, and I hope I don't feel down the road that public schools are ruining that for me, but I may...time will tell...

We considered private school, but opted for public because we were impressed with the new schools we have here, with the teacher I knew Sam would get this year...all of that could change next year when I'm suddenly faced with the unknown...my experience with "private school" kids when I was younger was that they were on such a strick schedule and had so many rules, they were actually the ones in way more trouble outside of school than their public school counterparts...my point is that I think you can find fault in nearly every aspect of education...don't know that there's one single GOOD answer to your situation...
sad.gif

To provide the life I do for my family, I have to work (at least until I get my business going well). Short of quiting my jobs to sit in the school to baby-sit Joshua, I don't know any other options.

I think it would help if the school helped teach students NOT to fail. Teach them that it's good to suceed at life, like I try to do at home. Simple things, like being proud of an accomplishment. Example from home: For Mothers Day I had myself and my boys fully detail Moms car. We washed, polished out scratches, waxed, vacummed and removed any clutter. We took metel polish and cleaned the engine compartment and door jams. The car looked better than new when we finished. The wife said it was "WAY TOO SHINEY!" She threatened to throw some dirt on it this morning! The only thing Joshua said was "I'm not going to do that for a job". That's fine if he wants to do something else, but he doesn't take pride in anything he does anymore.

He's read the entire Lord of the Rings series (the big books), and every Harry Potter book to date, but he's got an F in reading?
rock.gif
rock.gif
rock.gif
The teacher doesn't challenge him, and the school doesn't allow him to read books (for a grade) that they don't carry there.

When the school does see a problem, they just label the child as a "Problem child", and pretend that they don't exists.
mad.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

TFox and VA,

If your children are in a good school, congradulations to you and your district.  I'd stay there if I were you. I respect and encourage parents to lookout for their kids. I recently got my youngest sons teacher to call me on my cell phone. The last time she called I told here to put my son on the phone. She said "he didn't want to". I asked her to tell him if he didn't get on the phone I'd be dropping by his class to talk with him. He got on the phone, and the problem was resolved.

I can understand teaching them to embrace technology, but can we at least teach them to use their brain first!  I can find several High School graduates almost anywhere I go that can't do simple math in their head, or even tell me about actual history that wasn't covered by a block buster movie!  I've heard young adults making references to Lord of the Rings as factual events.

Truly Sad!

I guess I can say with confidence that my progress in life has very little to do with Public Education. If I had followed that teaching, I'd be as broke as most of my follow class mates. Unlike most people I know around my age, mid 30's, I have a Net Worth. For those who aren't familiar with that word...If I take all of my posessions, and sell them for cash, and take all of my cash to pay off my debts, I still have money left over. I fact, enough to keep the Corvette and buy a decent house. Most of my other friends are trying to "Just get by". I really want to help them, but they've been brainwashed so badly by the system that they don't think they need help!

I guess the bottom line is that, I know it's not all the teachers. The system needs to 'Enable' teachers to be more effective, and to have more authority in the classroom!

<!--EDIT|TruWrecks
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147721196 -->

We home schooled ours.
smile.gif

Their teacher taught them exactly what we wanted taught, God stayed in school, there was no political correctness, and corporal punishment was permitted. The last of my kids graduates high school this Thursday and my wife can retire from teaching.

We the parents have the responsibility to raise and teach our kids, if the public schools aren't doing it, maybe it's time to sacrafice some income, make a change of lifestyle like we did and teach them yourselves.

This is not a jab at anyone here, just my point of view of the responsibility of parents.

Now you guys really think I'm a freak huh?

<!--EDIT|Relsek
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147731797 -->

tWrecks-man i feel what you're saying about apathetic kids, cuz i used to be one...i hated doing homework from 1st grade on, and although i did very well in reading (was @ 3rd grade level in 1st, 4th grade in 2nd, and stayed 2 grades ahead till middleschool when thay no longer had the course) i bombed at everything else-usually cuz i was hiding in a corner sumwhere reading! Read so much cuz i was pretty anti-social....in 3rd grade folks took me to a shrink to see what was up-he said I never felt challenged by course work or saw any reward from completing school tasks- which was true, but also just liked fk'ing off and playing games n reading books i liked...had a library in walking distance which I used weekly.

when i started highschool dad enrolled me in ROTC-Air Force. had to wear full dress every thursday, and had a class daily, not to mention afterschool drills once a week, weather permitn, otherwise in the gym. I hated it, and really didnt like school at all by this point. My dad got fed up by end of freshman year-he had to drive 20 min across town to hear teachers ##### about how I was smart, but just didn't do anything with my 'talent'. My dad has been a highschool administrator for 25+ years, (mebbe 15 back then) so he knew most of these teachers and faculty from inservice meetings and i was embarrassing him, so he sent me to the highschool 3 miles from our house so he could get home faster after the complaints (exactly his words).

He also told me that if i failed and dropped out, i'd be out of the house; if i cleaned up and got a 3.0 or better (freshman cum. GPA was a woppin 1.769) he would pay for Driver's Ed class.....well, I hit the books so hard the y exploded-had a 3.3 all sophmore year, 3.15 or better all junior year, and all 3.0s senior year exc. last period-2.75 cuz i did skip out a few days, and missed sum tests in Adv. Math (fuggn hated it)

My point here is, you gotta find out what really drives your kids-if i ever screwed up even a lil, my dad brought the hammer down. Don't have that progress report signed by every teacher?-guess you don't want to watch t.v. this weekend (would put me in my room while the rest of the fam. watched movies friday nite and sat. just to rub it in, and no friends until I got it signed) Normally did my homework at school (theres enuf time to do everything but the week-long projects if they really want to..teachers ramble at least 15 min. in each course) but if i had to bring stuff home and didnt finish by end of week-once videogames were out-got to listen to my lil brother playing my games all weekend while i sat in my room reading!)

dunno what your kids are into, but when pops took away my prized posessions and denied me from my favorite pasttimes, I had to step my game up, otherwise by my own inaction i caused my suffering to continue!

hope sum of this helps man, with you n any parents struggling to get their kids off their proverbial butts.
smile.gif

We home schooled ours.
smile.gif

Their teacher taught them exactly what we wanted taught, God stayed in school, there was no political correctness, and corporal punishment was permitted. The last of my kids graduates high school this Thursday and my wife can retire from teaching.

We the parents have the responsibility to raise and teach our kids, if the public schools aren't doing it, maybe it's time to sacrafice some income, make a change of lifestyle like we did and teach them yourselves.

This is not a jab at anyone here, just my point of view of the responsibility of parents.

Now you guys really think I'm a freak huh?
Totally agree with you Kevin.

Fortunately (probably by the grace of God) we have been able to keep our kids in public schools AND have been able to accomplish everything else we wanted accomplished.

We had the ability to send out kids to public schools and at first I was going to do it… but then after a lot of praying about it, for me. I felt God leading me to keep my kids in public school.

The outcome?

We have had teachers work with us, my kids are now in a charter school in Junior high,, one of the best schools in the area, and my boys have been able to witness to other students and even teachers… which has been pretty cool.

If the public thing didn’t work out, then I would have opted for private, I don’t feel my wife nor I have the proper background for home schooling. But thankfully for us it never had to come to that point..

But I totally agree, kids come first. I had a really good paying job (the one I have now is good) but at one time I walked away from a pretty good salary because I was leaving home at 5:30am and not getting home until 7pm

The job I have now is very flexible and totally accommodating to my family… I gave up the other job for this one because I knew this one would work out the way it did.

I left the other job and took this one at about a $30,000.00 per year pay cut. We managed and my family is better off for it..

I know what you mean tfox. I moved and took a $25,000+ per year pay cut to be closer to the family. It's been almost 7 years, and I've recently gotten to the recovery point. If I had stayed single, I'd be making well over $100K and have 1/3 the bills, or less. I'm certainly not putting myself first. Once every 4 to 5 weeks I have an oncall shift that goes for one week. I usually get home about 5:30 to 6PM. The wife works 4 10hr days, so she's home all day 3 days a week. Either my wife, or I would have to quit a job to get more time at home. I can't because we can't pay the bills on her pay. She won't quite her job. So I guess I'm just screwed! It must be all my fault because it's happening in my household.

I've tried using rewards, goals, love, punishment, and loss of priviledges. Now I'll have to be a Drill Instructor, and an a$$ kicker!

The boys don't usually get to watch TV or play computer games during the weekends. Tonight I ended the weekends too. No priviledges until I see improvement.

Thanks for the guidence guys.

Well, here we go i'm a school teacher in an urban school system. I have been teaching for 18 years.

It is true that their are some teachers that don't hold up to the standard. Many times it's because of past experiences. I'm not your typical teacher and my methods would probably get me in trouble in other school systems. But i have been abel to motivate kids who have no support from home.

Education begins way before a child comes into a school system. Studies have shown that a child learns the most about life in their first five years. In those five years we mostly, were raised by our parents. Now these children are being raised by day care centers that my hav up to twenty kids in them. The people raising them in these years are not their parent and don't have the same love that a parent would.

By the time these kids get to me in high school you would not believe how parents are. They want us to teach values (what they value) which is hard to do when you have your own set of values and their are 30 kids in your class and each parent want you to teach their values.

Let me give you an example of what is wrong with our society and parents.

I'm called into the pincipal office. When i get there a parent is sitting in the office with their child. I sit down and the prinicpal ask me about the child's grad I tell them he's making an A or B. I get accused of giving this child a grade because he is making f's in all his other classes.

I tell the parent why don't you ask your son why he's making good grades in my class. She ask him and this is what he told her.

He loves me he tell us everyday
and secondly he don't play that if i don't do his work then he will get me. if i don't come to class he will come and find me.

Here i am in the office not because a child is doing bad but because he's doing good. And his parent had no expectation from him.

come to find out that none of his other teachers was called in.

you go figure.
rock.gif

OK here is my $.02.  I have no children, so I may see things from a different prespective.  Keep in mind that this is pointed at the ones who deserve it, not at everyone.  Parents have taken away the authority of teachers.  No authority, no respect, no way to dicipline students.  We have placed 35 students in a class, where there should be less than 20.  Children have taken away the authority of the parents.  "If you hit me, I'm calling child welfare."  Yes I have heard this coming out of the mouth of a 6 year old.  I heard one father say "No one knows us here, I can beat your ass and no one will care."  This is what it took to make the kid listen.  I'm just guessing, but, that probably would not have happened in their home town or at home.  

Parente use the 1, 2, 3 or No, No or time out techniques to dicipline their kids.  There is no consequences for their actions.  I had nothing to take away except baseball, basketball and football. (No organized sports, just back yard fun.)  A slap on the butt or shoulder blade and sit in the chair for 20 minutes.  That and the threat of a beating.  That's all it took.  I'm not condoning beating your children, but corpral punishment worked.  If you don't think so, look at the violence in society.  It has been heavily on the rise since they outlawed it.  Parents do not want to take an active role in their kids lives.  Either that or they want them to live the ideal life (pro sports athelete, computer genius, what ever you want.)  from their point of view.  School is a babysitter.  Parents wine when their kids do well, but complain if their kids are made to sit down and shut up.  "You are here to teach my kid, not raise him."  

Most often I hear/see a handfull of children ruining it for the rest.  If they were to go in and clean house, remove the problem children, and give the kids that want to learn a chance, we might be able to get somewhere.  The problem children should be put into their own class.  If they have to be put in cubicles and tought through computer monitors then so be it.  Sorry but we need ditch diggers also.  

We never brought guns to school.  I could have taken one at any time, but never did.  Mainly because I knew if I did, I'd be beat.  No questions asked.  We also lived with some of the most violent cartoons ever made.  I never tried to drop a safe, anvil or anything else on some one's head.  Parents didn't blame the TV or teachers for my actions.  Just me. (or themselves)

Let's pay teachere $25K-$35K a year and expect them to care.  They have some of the most thankless jobs there are.  In some areas they put their lives on the line just showing up in class.  

I graduated in 1985, with honors.  I slept through most of my classes, did little to no homework, and still ended up with a 3.6 or so GPA.  I was smarter than most of my teachers.  I was never challenged for more than a couple of weeks.  That was usualy at the beginning of the year, before the osmossis kicked in.  I never applied myself.  One school would not have let that happen.  I moved at the end of my 8th grade year, and that ended any thoughts of a good education or having fun in high school.  My new school was using the books that we had discontinued 4 years earlier, and 3 grades ago.  Moved from PA to CA.  California has the worst education programs money can buy.  Moved back to PA the next year and was all ready a year behind.  70% of my classes did not transfer, credit wise.  I made it up in 2 years and only basicaly had a half day schedule for my senior year.  Went into the Army after that.  (At 27 I put myself through school.  I was tired of $5 an hour.)

If I ever have a child, they will be able to read, print and do basic math before they ever enter school.  They would be my kids, hence my responsibility.  If I have to go back to college and take the chemistry and biology to help them get through high school, then so be it.  

I got off on a tangent, sorry.  If you are concerned with their education, you have to take an active role in their learning.  Wheather that means teaching them yourself, or paying some one else to do it.

Tru,

It's better to dicipline them and have their respect than to be their friend.  Maybe push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups and a couple of mile run won't hurt either.  Just lead by example and you will be good to go.

later,

Steve

Truwreck, I understand you totally, living in Washington it seems no one here want to take responsibility for anything. This goes for adults more so than children the children only learn from us for the most part, then from who the hang around with too. My sons are both in the public schools here and our state really restricts what teachers can and can not do. I keep finding out about new laws and new regulations and wonder what on earth where the law makers or citizens thinking. A lot of power is given to 13 year olds in our state more than most know, choices which I would only give to a 20 or 21 year old. In our state a 13 year old can make all the decisions on medical and mental. They pretty much can do what they want and by law you must care for them too and your responsible for them, trying to stop them could get you in jail. No locking in a room or the house, unlawful detention, no yelling verbal abuse, no spanking, child abuse, just talking and hopping they have enough respect to listen too you. I’m not one for any type of child abuse but police and law makers need to take a step back and really look at things better. I have never been arrested or do I plan on it, but know of others who have. If a child calls the police and tells them they are getting abused by you in our state there is a mandatory arrest law for this type of violence guilty or not someone is going to jail when the officer shows up. The more I learn about our laws here the more I think I need to move.

Truwreck, I understand you totally, living in Washington it seems no one here want to take responsibility for anything. This goes for adults more so than children the children only learn from us for the most part, then from who the hang around with too.  My sons are both in the public schools here and our state really restricts what teachers can and can not do. I keep finding out about new laws and new regulations and wonder what on earth where the law makers or citizens thinking. A lot of power is given to 13 year olds in our state more than most know, choices which I would only give to a 20 or 21 year old. In our state a 13 year old can make all the decisions on medical and mental. They pretty much can do what they want and by law you must care for them too and your responsible for them, trying to stop them could get you in jail. No locking in a room or the house, unlawful detention, no yelling verbal abuse, no spanking, child abuse, just talking and hopping they have enough respect to listen too you.  I’m not one for any type of child abuse but police and law makers need to take a step back and really look at things better. I have never been arrested or do I plan on it, but know of others who have. If a child calls the police and tells them they are getting abused by you in our state there is a mandatory arrest law for this type of violence guilty or not someone is going to jail when the officer shows up. The more I learn about our laws here the more I think I need to move.
I would move out of state...

my 12 year old, when he was.. hmmmm I think 9 came home form school one day and said

"you cant spank me any more!! I can call child protective services"

He apparently heard this from his friends at school..

I promptly told him to go to my room..

he had this shocked look on his face and stammered out "why?"

I said "because you are getting spanking for threatening me and trying to tell me what I can and cannot do"

So I took him upstairs and gave him a spanking...

Have never had that type of attitude from any of the boys since..

Well, here we go i'm a school teacher in an urban school system.  I have been teaching for 18 years.  

It is true that their are some teachers that don't hold up to the standard.  Many times it's because of past experiences.  I'm not your typical teacher and my methods would probably get me in trouble in other school systems.  But i have been abel to motivate kids who have no support from home.

Education begins way before a child comes into a school system.  Studies have shown that a child learns the most about life in their first five years.  In those five years we mostly, were raised by our parents.  Now these children are being raised by day care centers that my hav up to twenty kids in them.  The people raising them in these years are not their parent and don't have the same love that a parent would.

By the time these kids get to me in high school you would not believe how parents are.  They want us to teach values (what they value) which is hard to do when you have your own set of values and their are 30 kids in your class and each parent want you to teach their values.

Let me give you an example of what is wrong with our society and parents.

I'm called into the pincipal office.  When i get there a parent is sitting in the office with their child.  I sit down and the prinicpal ask me about the child's grad I tell them he's making an A or B.  I get accused of giving this child a grade because  he is making f's in all his other classes.  

I tell the parent why don't you ask your son why he's making good grades in my class.  She ask him and this is what he told her.

He loves me he tell us everyday
and secondly he don't play that if i don't do his work then he will get me.  if i don't come to class he will come and find me.

Here i am in the office not because a child is doing bad but because he's doing good. And his parent had no expectation from him.

come to find out that none of his other teachers was called in.

you go figure.    
rock.gif
I respect your point. Thank you for being a teacher. You can make a world of difference.

As far as the "First Five Years", my wife stayed home with both boys until they were 10, and 8, respectively. We don't, and never will use Day care!

I totally understand the "Thankless Job" market. I do Network Security for a rather large customer base. Firewall are the bane of most users! Most users don't even realize how much they do to benefit the users (Protection, service stability, enabling of a secure channel to work). Sound familiar?
rock.gif

I never request a meeting if there isn't a severe problem. I start with the child. If I check on his grades online (I do that about once a week), and I see good grades, I praise and thank him for the hard work in those classes. If I see bad grades, we go over the list of what's missing, and I make him write down everything that he needs to do. He is then responsible for getting those tasks completed. It's his grades. He should be held responsible for his success and failures.

I'll be the first person to say that I'm not perfect, but I don't think I've been going down the wrong path on this. It just might need a bit of refining to get it right.

I don't let children tell me what to do, or how to do it.

rock.gif

Back