Power Mode A, B, C

I think the owners manual states (or somewhere I read it) that you should be careful switching modes while riding, as it could effect a change in speed and cause wheel slippage. I rode home in "C", put the first 100 miles on the tires in "C" and have ridden in "A" (or actually just not messed with it, which is "A" by default) since. "C" mode feels about as powerful as my DR 650 does... "A" is why I bought this bike!

OK, so I added 14 more riding miles on my return trip home from work. 114 total.
I stopped and topped off the tank and filled it to the brim as I did this morning.
So, after riding 114 miles in Mode 'C' and taking it very easy on the throttle to accelerate easily to the speed limits which ranged from 45/55 to 65/70,
it took 2.34 gallons
48.71 mpg

I'll do this same route in the future in Power Mode 'A' to see what that does.

I'm pretty happy to see what it did today.

temps were low 70's this morning and low 90's this afternoon....and yea, it hauled my 250 lbs just fine. LOL

If I get caught out in the rain ill change over to C mode just to help make sure I don't get to throttle happy. Other than that I never bother with the modes button...Fire it up and GO!!!!!!!![/QUOTE same here... other then that i dont really use it

I leave it in A even in the rain and have never ran into a single problem. However, I am curious to hear if C mode yields higher miles per gallon, my guess is that atcruising speeds it would be a very small difference.

OK, so I added 14 more riding miles on my return trip home from work. 114 total.
I stopped and topped off the tank and filled it to the brim as I did this morning.
So, after riding 114 miles in Mode 'C' and taking it very easy on the throttle to accelerate easily to the speed limits which ranged from 45/55 to 65/70,
it took 2.34 gallons
48.71 mpg
I'll do this same route in the future in Power Mode 'A' to see what that does.

I'm pretty happy to see what it did today.

temps were low 70's this morning and low 90's this afternoon....and yea, it hauled my 250 lbs just fine. LOL

What kind of mileage do you get in "A" mode? I rode to Hope, AK yesterday and got 47mpg in "A" mode. Bone stock 2014 Hayabusa (as far as engine/performance).

I tried "B" and "C" modes when I first got mine in 2008 and have never tried it since. I never ran it long enough in "B" or "C" modes to check milage. It gets mid to upper 40's in "A" mode and that is plenty good for me. The last map I loaded in, I have the mode locked in "A" through ECU editor.

Doing the test is pointless!

You will get bored in C mode and switch over. If you try it in A mode, you will get bored and open the beast up. :)
I can get 75 miles on a tank or 180miles on a tank just by using the throttle correctly in A mode.
Mostly get 100miles though :p

How this bike rides in rain?
. I hope I will never have to try it, but just curious.
My old Honda Cbr 1000rr with the stock tires, bridgestones was really bad in rain.
When I change the tires I went with Michelin pilot power and it was much much better.
But that bike was only 410 lbs and modded and geared with 205 hp on the crank.
it was scary to ride in on dry weather even.

Doing the test is pointless!

You will get bored in C mode and switch over. If you try it in A mode, you will get bored and open the beast up. :)
I can get 75 miles on a tank or 180miles on a tank just by using the throttle correctly in A mode.
Mostly get 100miles though :p

I'm wishing to understand more about the bike, and what to expect when doing a very long ride... i.e. 1500 miles in < 24 hours. I like to plan the gas stops and set time/distance goals along the route. So yes, there is a reason I'm doing this. Thanks.

I read somewhere that mode C reduces the power band by 50 horse power....so with not having to feed those horses, I'm assuming a difference in MPG's.
Reason asking is I'm planning another Iron Butt Ride, and having to make fewer gas stops would be a boost to making the goal.

Here is my bike dynoed with A B and C mode.
2bryat.jpg

As for fuel mileage I get about 47mpg on the highway at about 75mph in A mode.
I can't see it getting any better in C mode.

Thanks Karl... I'd like to think there won't be much of a difference... just want to know for sure. Especially when just cruising mindlessly on the super slab for long distances.

I noticed too, before I got my speedometer corrected (it was about 5% optimistic) that I was getting much better gas mileage. If your speedometer/odometer isn't correct you may be thinking your mpg is a lot better than it really is. My 170 mph was actually only about 161.

I locked out B and C mode through ECU Editor.. But when I did have it on I did not notice any difference in fuel economy. Our bikes have map for everything-- Map for fueling (after 10% throttle),, a map for ignition timing,,, and a map for secondary throttle bodies.

I think that the duty cycle (map) for the injectors and in ignition timing is the same no matter what mode you have it in.( Once again "I Think") Therefore all you are doing is starving the bike for air when switching to a lower mode and thus lowering horsepower and (hopefully) Lowering your chances of screwing up. I say all of this because if you look at the stock maps for the bike (I have an "08) it stays the same, but you can change the map for the secondary's all you want.

If anybody has more knowledge let me know.

Thanks Deon...your comments make sense... while I now do not expect to see any noticeable MPG change in Mode A, I and others are learning about our 'Busa's.

I didn't know that there was so much science to our Gen2. You all have really been doing some good research. My mentality has only been to enjoy the bike and don't worry about fuel. Good stuff going on here.

thanks for the informative answers... my question ref mpg's remains unanswered...
some of you guys didn't help.... but that's understandable for keyboard warriors.
Busa's Rock!

I'll just have to go 'test' mode 'C' for a few gallons and see what it does.

thanks.

With all the modifications we do to our hayabusa i don't think anyone knows what kind of gas milage they are getting or even how many actual miles they have on there bike for sure.....

I could never tell any difference in A, B or C mode...I have no idea why they even put a mode selector on the bike....
Maybe they should have put a tinker bell on there instead...

How this bike rides in rain?
. I hope I will never have to try it, but just curious.
My old Honda Cbr 1000rr with the stock tires, bridgestones was really bad in rain.
When I change the tires I went with Michelin pilot power and it was much much better.
But that bike was only 410 lbs and modded and geared with 205 hp on the crank.
it was scary to ride in on dry weather even.

I have been 155mph in the rain on my gen2(with a Speedohealer) with no problems, and obviously a straight line.
And 100 to 120mph+ many, many times. Always A mode too.
I like riding in the rain, it's different. I definitely slow down through curves.
Tires make a big difference also.
Overall, the Busa is fine in the rain, but as always, it's in the rider.
I'm also making no claims of being some great rider either by going fast in the rain. But simply that rain is nothing to fear, just different. Stay within your own comfort zone, and be prepared for anything...just like on dry roads.
On the flipside, if you never ride outside of what is comfortable too you, your skills will never improve.

With all the modifications we do to our hayabusa i don't think anyone knows what kind of gas milage they are getting or even how many actual miles they have on there bike for sure.....

I could never tell any difference in A, B or C mode...I have no idea why they even put a mode selector on the bike....
Maybe they should have put a tinker bell on there instead...

If you can't tell any difference in A, B, and C mode, then you just cruise everywhere. Which is fine, to each their own.
Grip it and rip it in C, then do the same in A. From a low speed, low rpm, in 1st or 2nd, open the throttle as fast as you can and hold it that way through a couple gears.
You'll notice it then.:beerchug:

Back