Powdercoat prep

rpm9001

Donating Member
Registered
Just had a swingarm extended, now going to have a local company powder coat it. Does the clear have to be stripped to powder coat it? I have always stripped the parts before taking to them, but I would rather not have to strip the factory clear from the arm. going to powder it black to match my 03.

Thanks
Geo

I didn't strip mine and it came out great.
smile.gif

no stripping needed if its polished or chrome. I got pics to prove it.

See details below. (thanks ohms)
beerchug.gif

Using a transparent coat works excellent!  
super.gif

<!--EDIT|heavybusa
Reason for Edit: "omslaw is smart"|1149820390 -->

I think that the powdercoater will bead-blast it first, cuz I think they need to have bare metal to PC the part. Not sure, just going off what was told to me when I had some parts PC'd.

oms, thats only if the surface is painted.

I think I miss read the post here so let me clear things up.

If it is polished or chrome no stripping needed.

If it is painted or coated YES there needs to be bare metal.

The powder is electrically charged and needs a good ground connection to coat properly.

bead blasting is the method I use before powder coating.

Thanks guys,
It's just a stock arm I had extended. My 03 has a black arm, so I have to have it coated. I have always stripped my parts before sending them to pc, but I did not want to have to do the arm if I did not have to.

How harsh is blasting the arm on welds? I'm sure it's very fine.... just wondering.

Thanks!

Geo

Not harsh at all, I blasted my brake rotors, sproket, cush drive, and some wheels with no problem.

But that may depend on the person who is doing the work.

Polishing is definitely weakens the welds as you are removing the metal.

A light sand blast or glass bead will only remove the coating, and the technician doing the work should be able to gauge what he has done.

Back