Potential New Owner - Talk to Me!

OB_CJack

Registered
Hi ya Busas!!!
I'd like so feedback, if anyone is inclined. Currently I ride a Valkyrie - I love it and find that for a compromise bike it works for me. But I am thinking I'd like to own a sport bike - never had one.

I sat on a Hayabusa at the dealer's Saturday and I must say it felt pretty good. In fact, I swear the bike was whispering to me... "let's go." I l-u-v that way the bike looks, contrary to what others say about "ugly bulbousness," the thing looks sleek and very cool to me.

As I am 46 and 6' 3", I realize a rad sportbibke posture is not happening. And as I like to go out for 3 - 6 hr. day rides, I wonder if I could last in the Busa's seating format? Can you sport tour to any degree on the Hayabusa?

I WILL own a sport bike by midsummer 2001 at the latest, sooner if I can't stop obsessing. I've been riding 25 yrs. and want to get a sporty while I am still in decent shape.

Currently I am thinking Hayabusa, XX, new ZX-9R, or maybe the CBR929R (but that is probably too rad). I'v also considered a ZRX100 and hopping it up but... not quite sporty enough. My practical side says the XX is the ticket (and I can probably save a few bucks getting one...) but my soul says go for the Busa and take longer rides on the Valk.

I just love torque and tech! I am not a speed freak per se, though the Valk feels pretty much like a couch at 110. I really don't need to go fast. Is the Busa fun just knocking around? How far have you gone in a day? Insurance? What is the worst downfall of the bike in your mind?

Thanks!

Jack

The Busa is a great bike, however for guys our size its not the most comfortable. It places alot of weight on your wrists and really places your knees high. I'm planning on raising the bars and lowering the pegs if I can figure out how. On the plus side however, its ungodly powerful and handles like a bike half its size. The weight really seems to disapppear when your riding. I wouldn't trade the bike for the world, but its no tourer without mods. I'm probably gonna get s**t for saying this, but I think you'll appreciate the honesty: If youre not really into the speed, I'd go with the XX. It's fast and much more comfy.

Hello Jack,
I'm a new BUSA owner. In fact the guys welcomed me aboard just yesterday. I bought a red/grey BUSA and love it so far. I wish this were a do it all bike, but at 5-10 I don't think I could do a string of long days on the wonderful beast. It took some real work to get the wife to sign on for two bikes but I did it. I have an R1100RT for the real long haul. So it would seem your VALK and the BUSA would be a nice marriage.
Well ah, if you can get the lil lady to think so! NOW Cjack really run!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by V1 VR V2 (edited 08 March 2000).]

i would be willing to bet i am the largest 'bus' driver around, not in a good way, anyhow, helibars and the zero gravity sport touring screen was all i needed to get comfy. blu/silver is the most comfortable.

Get the 'Busa
I'm 6'4 220 & have ridden it 4 hrs straight a couple times. Its very comfortable for a sport bike. I could only ride my FZR1000 for 45 minutes at a pop. You can further improve the comfort by getting Genmar handlebar risers and a zero gravity double bubble windscreen. search the site, there is very positive feedback on those mods.

I am 6'3" and one reason I picked the Bus is because it is much more roomy than my last bike which was a ZX-7. The guy who wrote that you have a lot of weight on your wrists needs to ride a 7. It is much worse than the Bus. Being tall I ordered a ZG Sport Touring screen and plan on doing the footpeg mod or getting TL pegs. It is still a little tight in the knees but once again not near as bad as my old 7. I plan on doing a few 150+ mile trips and don't think it will be a big problem. Besides you have to stop for gas every 180 miles or so which will allow you to stretch your legs.

I'm a little different from the rest of the 1300 owners on here in that I just traded a 2000 XX on a 2000 busa. I have read your post and I know what bike you would be happiest with. Here's what you need to do: get the XX, then purchase an erion brothers 4 into 1 system and a 16 tooth front sprocket. I would install these the day of delivery if it were me, others here might tell you to break it in first. Then remove the centerstand and all its bracketry as well as the toolkit. That will give you a dry weight of around 450lbs and right at 150hp at the tire. Set up that way, no busa will pull away from you till 150 or so assuming you know how to massage it correctly. It remains one of the most stable yet agile handlers I've ever ridden and will provide you with bulletproof honda reliability that the busa cant match. You can also add helibars for further comfort if desired. Follow these instructions and you'll have the bike that best suits you while still having VERY impressive speed and power. Its also much more pleasing to the eye than the 1300 although that can ignite some debate. Now you have the knowledge you sought, what you do with it is up to you.

CJACK, I've owened a 98XX and I thought it was the sh*t. I rode a GSXR 750 and loved the way it handled. But I still wanted more power. Thats when I saw the first pictures of the BUSA, and I knew I would have one. Besides a few problems it encountered it has been a great bike. There is more suspension adjustments and the bike rides smoother than than xx. If you ride both of them, i'm sure you will like the busa more.

OK, thanks one and all. Ideally I will find a way to ride both the XX and the Busa before picking one. Not sure where I'll find a 1300 in Cincinnati but who knows. Sounds like with a few mods, the 1300 can be made just a bit more comfy.

I appreciate the feedback and the honesty. Perhaps by the time I am ready to buy prices will drop, thanks to the ZX-12R! Gotta love the competition.

Ride safe,
Jack

I went from a R6 to the Hayabusa and let me tell you I do not even notice any wieght on my wrists after the R6. I am 6'2" and weigh 235 lbs. The hayabusa is very comfortable, get it you will not be disappointed. However, it could use a little lower foot pegs and to do that all you need to do is cut off about an inch of rubber off of the top of them.

"Comfy" and "Busa" in the same sentence? I nearly burst into tears when I read that.

This bike is not a considered decision. You just buy it because it's a horrible creature, and you need it.

You either love horrible bikes or you don't. The Busa should NEVER be owned by anyone who doesn't love horrible bikes.

Sorry man, but I gotta draw the line somewhere.

"comfy........."

NOT!!!!!!!!!!

I am old and portly. Without any comfort mods such as handlebar risers or bigger windscreens I can do comfortable 400 mile days on the busa. I think that 1000 mile days are possible with the comfort mods.

That said if you really want the sportbike experience I'd recommend getting a used R1, ZX9, GSXR750, CBR900 or a 600 sportbike and see if its something you like.

She was awful comfy at 190 tonight, provided I stayed behind the DB.

CJack, I am 20 years older than you, and do 300-400 mile days all the time, plus have done a couple of 1200 mile 3 day trips. At 5'11" and 200lb. I am not as large,so I can't judge how the Busa would fit you.

I have both the GenMar risers and Heli bars, along with the cut down pegs and a Corbin seat, ZG Sport Tour screen. Those mods have given me all day comfort, much better than stock.

I have never been very impressed with Suzukis in general, so buying one was unusual for me.

I wanted a Honda XX, but every time I rode one those #@$%#** linked brakes turned me off. There was a thread on here a few days ago about a crash caused by them. Some people like them, but I think they are a huge mistake on a sport bike. The XX is definitely smoother than a Busa, but what little vibration,etc. the Busa has is not a problem.

The XX is well sorted, typical Honda, whereas the Busa still has an occasional glitch.

There is no comparison between the two bikes in feel. The XX feels peaky when compared to the Busa. It's not really that much slower, but the Busa has mongo power from just off idle and the XX just doesn't fire my rockets until it gets the revs up.

Find a way to ride them both, then decide.

hayabusa, I am 6'2" 280 and I have rode all the current sport bikes and my last was a 98'cbr 900rr which had more leg room then the busa due to seat height and foot peg position....but a bit heavy on the rists but I don't mind either and have taken trips up to 300+ miles no problem,,,you have to suck it up...I have rode r1's, r6's, gsxrs, zx9, duc 996 and a 748, triumph 955, they all are a little different in comfort level. the r1 by far has the most butt room of any bar none....you can move all around on that thing but very much weight on the wrists but a blast. The busa is a fine bike and is comfortable enough + the torque and pwr. I have a 2000 red and grey with about 2000 some miles already on it and love it!!!No problems as of yet.....and did I mention power.......hope to see you get the busa.... for now hayabusa on...

Back