possible starter issue???

AZIROC

Registered
The past week or so, ive had some starting issues. nothen major, but i am sure there is a way to fix it, or its gonna cost me $$ in the long run.

anywho, last week ive tried starting it and its made a few loud metal on metal CLANG sounds before it fires up. usually 1-2 of these noises, then it starts. did it twice in the last week. 2 days ago, and today before i left for work, started the bike up like normal, but when i hit the start switch, you hear a motor *which i will safely guess is the starter itself* just spinning. no metal noise, just like an electric motor noise. so i let go of the starter button, and try again, fires right up.

Back ground on the bike; its an '01. got it in '05 with 29xx miles. it now has 60xxx miles on it. its had a battery tender since i got it and this battery is only 2 years old. never had any issues with it, but i wonder if this is the start issue they are known for. i think i remember this issue happening a few times last year, but only in the winter. *but im in AZ and at night its 70*.

even if the battery is only 2 years old, start by having it tested at your loacl auto parts store.

I had this happen to my gs500. On mine, the the starter somehow spun backwards and unsrewed the starter gear and the sound you hear is the gear spinnin freely, i got stuck at school and after 10 min or so of continuously tryin, it kicked in and started. Look into the starter gear. May be your problem too

well, i took the cover off. and nothen seems out fo the ordenary. some of the teeth are alittle "shiny" but nothen cracked/broken. I am not sure if it matters any *didnt think of it till yesterday* but the only time ive had this issue is when the bike is cold and i have the choke opened all the way up. if i start the bike, then open the choke, it never does it.

*p.s. the battery checked out good.

in automotive i would say your bendix may be on the way out, but the busa uses a starter clutch/ torque limiter.

starter clutch.png

according to the owners manual, you are supposed to start the bike first and then use the choke to warm up the bike, never start the engine with the choke open, always wait for the fuel pump to fully prime and never use the choke while in motion. per the manual

well the issue started up again *even with the new starter* but when i took the cover off this weekend, i saw the teeth on the gear/sproket were wore pretty bad. (nothing how it looked when i took it off 2 months ago). So I got the new sprocket ordered. thankfully everything else looked good.

ok, so I ordered a new (well, used) starter gear. i finally got it in, but im thinking i got the wrong part. can anyone confirm or deny it for me? also, will the pin from my '01 fit this "newer" one if it is the correct "upgraded" part.
this 1 is suppose to be the "upgraded" one for '03+

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to get an '03 to '07 starter (green tab), starter iddle gear (yu already have, looks like the right one), and the pin for it P/N 12615-24F00, the old one would not fit, that's it you should be good, I switched mine after my 3rd starter...

how do i know its a new starter. whats the green tab? i did get anew starter from the dealer. but this was the only option i was given. and of course i need a pin... wouldnt be as simple to just throw this 1 in. thanks!

Is the starter shaft longer than the old starter? on top of the starter, there is a tab, the 99-02 is blue and the 03-07 green.

Oh, this new starter has a green one. I dint realize I would need a new case cover and all that to do this. I can just get a low mileage "used" 99-02 gear and let it last another 50k miles and save $400.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back