Plasti-dipped Again, This Time It's Bright

With summer right around the corner (even tho it feels like it already here), figured it was time to dip the bike again. I bought a couple of gallons on Black Friday with this one being the brightest. Wasn't my best dip job, as I ended up having crap in my gun that kept spitting out when spraying it, but oh well. I used a gallon of white as the base coat, then a gallon of Blaze Orange for the top coat. I considered using TopCoat for a shine, but with the crap in my gun I couldn't get out, figured it wasn't worth it. I ended up kinda digging the matte for this color. Pictures don't do this color justice, it's stupid bright and orange in person. Like brighter than the safety orange deer hunters have to wear. I love this color alot more than I expected once it was back together.

Short video of the bike when playing with the P4:

View attachment 1571915
View attachment 1571916
View attachment 1571917
View attachment 1571918
View attachment 1571919
View attachment 1571920
View attachment 1571921
View attachment 1571922
View attachment 1571923
View attachment 1571924
View attachment 1571925
View attachment 1571926
View attachment 1571927
View attachment 1571928
You do such a good job on your bike and make it look SO easy. I scratched my plastic pretty bad last year. If I could do this I wouldn't even sweat it. My hats off to you bud great looking bike... again !

You do such a good job on your bike and make it look SO easy. I scratched my plastic pretty bad last year. If I could do this I wouldn't even sweat it. My hats off to you bud great looking bike... again !

The stuff makes me look good, it's extremely user friendly. If you sanded yours down it'd be ideal in your case and should do it... Plus you get a Wagner type of sprayer out of it. I had some China fairings and laid it over on those shortly after and would be using those for dipping if it wasn't missing pieces of them.

Attached a picture of the front after 150 miles for redbusarider. :). I was kinda surprised how few bugs were on the front considering I had to clean my face shield off every other day.

IMG_20170323_153257.jpg

I forgot to post this the other day. I went to go put the busa up in my shop after work and before I rolled up the door I noticed the orange is so bright it reflects thru the holes on the rail of the door against my bathroom's exterior wall, lol.

Attach22702_20170324_065523.jpg

Attached a picture of the front after 150 miles for redbusarider. :). I was kinda surprised how few bugs were on the front considering I had to clean my face shield off every other day.

Thanks. It's only March yet so maybe that's why so few bugs. I assume in LA you never get rid of all of them - but I also assume that there must be less of them.

Here in MI there are basically NO bugs outside during the Winter. However they come back in full force once the weather breaks. :banghead:
I found 4-5 flies inside my MH the other day - so they are starting to wake up / or hatch or what ever they do to come back - as the Winter never really kills
them. We had a light Winter this year so I'm not sure - but we might have a bumper crop of them this year - time will tell.

Also one more thing about bugs. From my experience they are out in force the most, on a calm night ride and least in force on a windy daytime ride.

Please repeat that test in July on a calm nighttime ride and post those results. :D:D:D

Thanks. It's only March yet so maybe that's why so few bugs. I assume in LA you never get rid of all of them - but I also assume that there must be less of them.

Here in MI there are basically NO bugs outside during the Winter. However they come back in full force once the weather breaks. :banghead:
I found 4-5 flies inside my MH the other day - so they are starting to wake up / or hatch or what ever they do to come back - as the Winter never really kills
them. We had a light Winter this year so I'm not sure - but we might have a bumper crop of them this year - time will tell.

Also one more thing about bugs. From my experience they are out in force the most, on a calm night ride and least in force on a windy daytime ride.

Please repeat that test in July on a calm nighttime ride and post those results. :D:D:D

You got it, will definitely do. I live right outside of the city limits of a small town and normally take the back way to/from work... but if I take the bike I take the interstate to avoid the bugs and especially in the early morning time. I also worry about people getting off work or on way home from a bar and falling asleep on the back 2-lane roads at 4:30am.

With summer right around the corner (even tho it feels like it already here), figured it was time to dip the bike again. I bought a couple of gallons on Black Friday with this one being the brightest. Wasn't my best dip job, as I ended up having crap in my gun that kept spitting out when spraying it, but oh well. I used a gallon of white as the base coat, then a gallon of Blaze Orange for the top coat. I considered using TopCoat for a shine, but with the crap in my gun I couldn't get out, figured it wasn't worth it. I ended up kinda digging the matte for this color. Pictures don't do this color justice, it's stupid bright and orange in person. Like brighter than the safety orange deer hunters have to wear. I love this color alot more than I expected once it was back together.

Short video of the bike when playing with the P4:

View attachment 1571915
View attachment 1571916
View attachment 1571917
View attachment 1571918
View attachment 1571919
View attachment 1571920
View attachment 1571921
View attachment 1571922
View attachment 1571923
View attachment 1571924
View attachment 1571925
View attachment 1571926
View attachment 1571927
View attachment 1571928

Dude! Your bike is insane! Few questions, how are you doing the graphics? Also how did you do the exhaust? I assume its just a 4-1 yosh or something there about but did the GSXR TI muffler bolt up to it or did it have to be fabbed? Thanks

Dude! Your bike is insane! Few questions, how are you doing the graphics? Also how did you do the exhaust? I assume its just a 4-1 yosh or something there about but did the GSXR TI muffler bolt up to it or did it have to be fabbed? Thanks

Thanks! I spent some time on the graphics, but with dipping the bike 5 times now it's paid off. I traced them on paper, scanned them in, drew/traced them in AutoCAD so I could put them into the vinyl cutting program and cut them out in whatever color. I use my wife's Silhoutte Cameo, it's been BY FAR the best gift I've ever given her. So much so I moved it and all the vinyl into my shop's office to have easier access to it, lol.

Yep Yoshi 4-2-1 full exhaust. Removed the Yoshi for the 1K pipe and had a muffler shop weld a small extension to it and open up the end so it slips on just like the Yoshi did. I'm not sure if it shows up much in pictures, but may can see where I use gray header wrap and SS zip ties to cover the galvanized pipe since it didn't match the Ti or SS, lol.

I don't have any pictures to share yet, but just wanted to update the thread. I can't say I'd recommend ever using the blaze colors or Firebelly color, at least on a bike. I've rode the bike for 2 weeks straight and while at work it sat outside of course. The Firebelly orange is fading and QUICK. It's really obvious that the color difference from the top of the bike to the sides. Granted I knew it faded compared to other colors, just not this quick. Sad to say, but not sure how much longer this color will be on there. I stock up when they run their 20% off special which they recently did and I have 3 future dips in my possession, will be hard to decide which one to go with next. Once I get a date my Superlite SLC will be delivered, I'll pull this color off and dip it another color to last me till the fall.

Some pics of the fading after almost a month if being in the sun. Kinda depressing I'll be removing soon, but then again it'll be a new color too

IMG_20170413_181651.jpg

Few more examples of how much this dip faded. I forgot I dipped the mirrors but ended up swapping them out before ever mounting them. I'm still disappointed, but can only blame myself since I knew this particular color would fade. I hope to remember to get some pictures of it in front of the shop before I peel it.

Within the next month I'll pull it apart and dip it again. I'm looking forward to this new color, will be trying something new out this time around and it won't be a color shade I've dipped before. :)

IMG_20170422_215715.jpg

IMG_20170422_215733.jpg

IMG_20170422_215736.jpg

I'm looking forward already to the next color as well, especially because of colors I'm going with.. The main color is my favorite OEM paint color. I really don't feel like tearing the bike apart again, but oh well may as well do it while i can because it won't be dipped for a while once my SLC arrives!

95% of the colors they sell are UV stable. All the blaze (neon) colors aren't UV stable, not sure if orange is worse than others but stuff I've read it seems like it'd last longer than a month. Here's the handful of colors that will fade.
https://www.dipyourcar.com/collections/blaze-and-fluorescent

The other 60 or so colors won't fade. Plus all the speciality colors and such should be good.
https://www.dipyourcar.com/collections/plasti-dip-colors

Woooooo
What the hell is a plasti dip and where can I get one????
Take my money please!
Sick color btw...bike looks great!

lol I YouTubed the whole procedure right after I posted
Seams pretty cool and inexpensive
For bikes I've seen guys use spray cans comes out pretty decent .

DYC has tons if videos, they definitely do a great job on them too. Yep very inexpensive and best part is that it's not permanent. 1 gallon does a busa so I can get off as cheap as $55 for a color change, but lately I've been using TopCoat and pearls or neon colors that require a white basecoat so I end up spending a little more. I don't see me stopping this anytime soon so I upgraded my 4yr old DYC sprayer to the newer model.

Cans can come our decent, especially if they're a lighter color or a small area like wheels. Darker colors tend to want to tiger stripes due to the nozzle on the cans.

Labor of love for sure, although when I did it originally I did it for the challenge and being cheap once I tried to see if the vinyl would even stick well to the rubber dip and it did... I had no clue I'd be dipping the bike this much so actually paid off in the long run.

I was fortunate that I bought my wife a Silhouette Cameo (vinyl cutter) for her birthday several years ago. What I did was trace my original graphics on paper and scanned it in and imported it into CAD. In CAD I traced it again so I had scaled templates of them to which I could import into my wife's vinyl cutter program and cut them out to scale. Since I have them saved now, just a matter of cutting them out every time I dip in whatever color I prefer (so far always has been gloss or satin black). I usually cut out the Hayabusa lettering in a similar color as the bike or contrasting color to the black. I've since figured out an easier and faster way to copy my OEM graphics for the vinyl cutter, but oh well.

They're not perfect and still need some work to them like extending the edges so they meet up in the plastic surrounds. I never think about fixing it until I'm fixing to cut them out and at that point I'm impatient to see bike finished and tell myself I'll fix it next time, lol.

To answer your question, yes you could definitely buy a set of solid color replica graphics off ebay if you wanted. They should work out good if you decide to dip, I can attest that they do stick to the dip and won't come off. They're easy to line up over the OEM graphics after it's dipped.

Back