Plasti-dipped Again - Hypershift Ztn

what brands of plastidip do you use? Do you think they would be good to use on a cabinet. I wonder how smooth it would be on wood

All the stuff I buy comes from dipyourcar.com. I believe it's just called Plasti-Dip according to the side, looks like it's made by Performix
IMG_2851.jpg

I should have posted these pictures in the OP.
IMG_20161112_155723.jpg

IMG_20161112_155931.jpg

Thanks for the comments! Yep it's a pipe off a GSXR1K (05-08 I believe) and connected to a Yoshimura 4-2-1 header. I love the look and the sound of it, with the header it's the perfect volume for me. I think it's about as loud as it was with the Yoshi pipe.

Thanks for bringing this back up, I've been meaning to update the thread and something I've learned with using the clear TopCoat. This is the 2nd time I've used TopCoat with the prior having pearl mixed it in, but didn't have this issue. This time I had the pearl mixed in it, then went back over with 3 more coats of just pure TopCoat. Where my riding pants rub against the tank, this happens. It's not really a big deal as I can spray a little DipCoat (I think it's basically a spray wax) over it and it goes away. It took about 10 daily rides for me to notice it, so all I really have to do is use it more often, which I should do anyways.... Keeps the dip feeling like real waxed paint too.

I don't remember if I mentioned it, but while DYC was offering 22% for Black Friday weekend I figured it was a good time to purchase my next 2 dips since both of these colors I've been thinking about for the past year. Won't reveal the colors, but they're opposite ends of the color spectrum and one will have a white basecoat and the other will have a black basecoat. The next dip will likely be the darker color since my past 3 dips have been bright/wild colors. It'll be around Spring time when I plan on dipping it again, but already can't wait...

IMG_20161130_153432.jpg

IMG_20161130_153440.jpg

IMG_20161130_153428.jpg

IMG_20161130_153442.jpg

Wow i thought is was more durable than that. Just riding scuffed it like that?

Wow i thought is was more durable than that. Just riding scuffed it like that?

Just riding scuffed it up between my riding pants and my jacket. The first 2 times when I didn't use TopCoat, I didn't have this issue. Even when I used TopCoat with pearl (blue) didn't have the issue. With clear TopCoat by itself, I this happens. Honestly it's not a real issue, just need to wipe my tank down when I put it up for the day and I'll never see the issue again. But I wanted to post pictures to make other people aware of it if they wanted to dip.

This may be hard to describe, but when you dip with just Plasti-Dip the stuff feels like it has a rubbery feeling on it. I can put DipCoat(spray wax) on top of it and it feels alot more like real paint

When you have TopCoat on it (like now), the stuff actually feels tacky all the time until you spray DipCoat(spray wax) on it, then it feels exactly like regular paint with wax on it. The think the reason it shows up on my tank now is because once the DipCoat is worn off, it goes back to being tacky feeling and that happens.

Have you tried the AutoDip products? Supposed to be more durable than PlastiDip.

Have you tried the AutoDip products? Supposed to be more durable than PlastiDip.

Thanks Big E, now you have me intrigued! I've never heard of it before, but after a few videos I'm definitely impressed. I like the self healing part if you knick it. The only 2 down sides is I only see it for sale in cans, tho in the videos they were spraying with a gun. The other is it's kind of pricey being 3x as much and appears you have to put more coats (according 1 video), but if going for a gloss finish you probably are around the same price using TopCoat or AutoFlex clear over plasti-dipping.

I'll be doing some more reading on it, I'm interested in this stuff for sure.

So is this just a hobby or are you testing products to paint other stuff?

It started as more/less a fun project but now it's kind of an addiction. Its kind of like having a new bike every time I change the colors. From Feb 2010 to August 2015 I put barely 3k miles due to neck issues and at one point I was selling it.... somehow I lost interest in riding. But ever since I dipping the bike electric lime green last August I've put almost 8k more miles on it. Now I can't ride enough, every chance I get I'm on it, hot or cold.

Never thought about it, dipping saved me from ever, ever consider selling it again.... Unless it's for a Gen 3, lol

Well you are better than Suzuki rocking the bold new colors Lol! Yeah, I get there too. As you get older it seems spending time running around in the street doing silly things gets tough to justify with the demands of life & work. I'm hoping to increase my miles next year, only did 3,500 this year, been doing 5K+ a year. It's fun watching to see what you'll come up with next though, thanks for posting. Going to be funny if the Gen 3 is basically your bike (silver version) with the Gixxer can and some electronic goodies........

Well you are better than Suzuki rocking the bold new colors Lol! Yeah, I get there too. As you get older it seems spending time running around in the street doing silly things gets tough to justify with the demands of life & work. I'm hoping to increase my miles next year, only did 3,500 this year, been doing 5K+ a year. It's fun watching to see what you'll come up with next though, thanks for posting. Going to be funny if the Gen 3 is basically your bike (silver version) with the Gixxer can and some electronic goodies........

You nailed that on the head. I'm content with just riding to work, as sad as that sounds. But makes me happy to go to work and get off knowing I'll be on the busa. Had a break in the weather today so drove it. 55 degrees and humidity down here in Louisiana sucks, lol. I wished I'd had my over pants on too.

I appreciate it, i enjoy being different. :) I'd love to see Suzuki come out with a gen 3 in same colors with similar can. I may never change it out, as long as it's a single can anyways, lol. I'm 2 for 2 on the charcoal/silver color scheme with Gen 1 and Gen 2, I'd like to make it 3 when the time comes. :)

You nailed that on the head. I'm content with just riding to work, as sad as that sounds. But makes me happy to go to work and get off knowing I'll be on the busa. Had a break in the weather today so drove it. 55 degrees and humidity down here in Louisiana sucks, lol. I wished I'd had my over pants on too.

I appreciate it, i enjoy being different. :) I'd love to see Suzuki come out with a gen 3 in same colors with similar can. I may never change it out, as long as it's a single can anyways, lol. I'm 2 for 2 on the charcoal/silver color scheme with Gen 1 and Gen 2, I'd like to make it 3 when the time comes. :)

Where are you in in louisiana? I stay near houma and rose last night (40°) for about 35 min and thought I had froze lol. I really need to get some legit cold weather gear cuz my gear ain't cutting it anymore. For awhile now I've been going back and fourth to work but that's about it. She can really use some tmd at the moment so I don't ride her much on the weekends anymore.

I hope the "secret" next color that requires black base is the copper they sell. It looks awesome! Now that I think about it, I should trade plastics with you. After all, you never ride showing your bike's stock color anyways. Lol! I bought my bike and signed the papers on it thinking I was buying the exact same color you have. Everything on the website and papers said it was silver, but when they went to pull it out of the warehouse, it was white. That silver is still one of my favorite colors.

I live in Vinton, about 10 miles from Sulphur. Weather down here does suck, last night it was 44 deg as a low, tonight is 64 degrees! I wear duck hunting jacket to keep me warm, least when I'm not on the bike. I have a leather jacket I wear which is awesome compared to my summer jacket.

I love the copper color too! Really like it, but that's the not the color. I agree silver is the best color, but I like white just as well. I only got silver because that's what my 03 was, lol. The next color will either require a black or white base, depending on if I want bright or dark. If it's the bright one, I'll have to look at some pearls for it. The darker ones will be just flat and be perfect I think. :)

Back