Piston Replacement On Stock Bore?

GXR1147

Registered
How much of a concern is there when replacing pistons from factory to aftermarket? Motor has about 12k miles and has had a RCC stage 1 on it for the last 3k miles or so. I have chance to get pick up some new pistons already coated for a good deal. They are stock bore. My concern is out of round and needing either to bore the cylinders or replace the bores all together to keep stock bore. Just wondering what everyone's experience with this kind of situation is. In the automotive world we never put new pistons in a used bore. I would think it's the same in motorcycles but never really hear/read anything about it.

These pistons I'm looking have had the skirts coated. Does that application change the diameter enough in any aspect to require bore work?

Wossner turbo pistons are cam ground, balanced, moly coated and gas ported with tool steel wrist pins right out of the box. Hayabusa cylinders are chrome bore, and unless there is some damage, normally a light hone and the Wossner piston at stock bore is a drop-in . . .

How much of a concern is there when replacing pistons from factory to aftermarket? Motor has about 12k miles and has had a RCC stage 1 on it for the last 3k miles or so. I have chance to get pick up some new pistons already coated for a good deal. They are stock bore. My concern is out of round and needing either to bore the cylinders or replace the bores all together to keep stock bore. Just wondering what everyone's experience with this kind of situation is. In the automotive world we never put new pistons in a used bore. I would think it's the same in motorcycles but never really hear/read anything about it.
Size the rings and drop them in!

Frank, these are CP pistons with the skirts coated for $650 with pins, locks and rings. Couldn't pass it up and bought them last night at like 3:30am cause I couldn't sleep and the seller was awake as well for some reason. Seeing as you did my tune (this is the bike that had the bolt in the turbo drain line and smoked like a champ) I will most likely bring you the motor to do the work on once I collect all the other parts. Most likely next winter as I'm not allowing myself to go into debt again and put picking up one part at a time as money allows

Opps sorry , forgot to mention the light hone ! 100% correct

Back