Piston Installation

sjg34

Registered
Has anyone ever temporarily bolted the block to the case and tried installing the pistons using a tapered ring compressor?

My thought is trying to assemble the motor like a car, from the top, slide the piton into the cylinder then attach the rod to the crank

Well not so sure that is the best idea . I found its best to have a couple of old head bolts . Cut the head off them then thread I to case. They make for a nice guide without worrying of dropping the block. Then using large air conditioner vent tie straps ( new ) I compress the piston rings on all 4 pistons. I slide the block down over them till all rings are in the block . Slip tie straps down to rod area to cut off with a hot knife ( melt through so as not to slip or get something in motor from using side cutters )

That is not a bad idea. Thanks for the suggestion. It was a PIA last time trying to get the rings compressed to slide the jug down so I was trying to think of another way

The bottom of Busa cylinders are tapered, to help with the installation

Bored Block I start with four bolts to help hold the block in the corners
Two middle pistons up
Let my fingernails grow a few weeks before I know I have to do one, and DO IT MYSELF VERY SLOWLY BY HAND
have not had a ring problem since the 1998 FZR1040 incident

Back