PDA question...

ks-waterbug

Group Buy Guy
Donating Member
Registered
So, the bug is looking at going wireless via T-Mobile. I want a phone and access to the internet. What in your humble opinions would be the route to take?

A lot of the answer will depend on what ya wanna do with the phone.

*Do you just want phone capabilities?
*Do you want Internet via the phone or do you want to cable the phone to your PC and use the Net via the phone?
*Do you want to be able to sync your Outlook email/calendar/tasks/contacts, etc. with your phone?

Personally, I carry a Blackberry 7290...love it! Real-time access to my Outlook items, can browse the net...can even cable to PC and use as a modem. (yeah, it's slow, but it works).

I've used Palm-based phones and Windows Mobile-based phones. IMO, can't beat the size and ease-of-use of the Blackberry.

BTW, there's a new Blackberry due to come out in about 30 days...will be much faster on the data-side of life...

rock.gif
cool.gif

Can you get a Treo 360 (I think that's the model number) on TMobile? Those are really great little PDA/Phones, and honestly, not that much bigger than a standard cell phone either. I'm looking at getting one with Cingular.

Yes, I looked really hard at the Blackberry. Want to make sure I'm not missing something. Would like to access the web, e-mail, IM, etc... Plus, must be able to double as a phone! Being able to link to a computer is a nice feature but it's not the deal breaker.

I use a BlackBerry.. aka CrackBerry
tounge.gif
and love it.
Ya gotta phone, email, and the internet in the palm of your hand.
I personnally like the SMS and PIN features of the BB.

So what can the speeds be like accessing the net/e-mail on any of these? I'm starting to lean very heavily towards a Blackberry....

So what can the speeds be like accessing the net/e-mail on any of these? I'm starting to lean very heavily towards a Blackberry....
I don't know the actual throughput rates for the browser but IMO it's relatively quick, compared to a dialup. As for email, again it's relatively quick however, I tend to send SMS or PIN message cause it's slightly quicker.

Here is a quick low down on email transfer from the BB to an SMTP address... BB to wirless network to BES server to Exchange Server/POP Server to the recipient...

Here is a quick low down on PIN/SMS transfer from the BB to another BB or SMS enable device... BB to wireless network to BB or SMS enable device.. so it's alittle quicker and if the Exchange/POP server is down you can still send messages.

I'm sure you have already checked this out but if you haven't give it a look.. CrackBerry Info

Blackberry speeds will get even faster when the 8700 is released (next few weeks)

The GSM/GPRS version (Cingular, TMobile) will get EDGE speeds.

The CDMA version (Sprint, Verizon) will get 1x EV-DO speeds.

(yeah, I'm a Crackberry, too!
tounge.gif
)

<!--EDIT|omslaw
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128693111 -->

Here you go.

If I were in the market for wanting wireless internet this is what I would sign up for

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/broadband/index.jsp

Verizon is getting hot on Wireless Broadband. PCMCIA card slides into your laptop and I think it connects to the same cell towers the phones ues, but you get broadband inernet access speeds.

Anyway, if I were not allready speding $80.00 a month for special internet access into my home AND if I had a real need for wireless internet access, I would without a doubt pay the $59.00 per month for this service

Also keep in mind, and it drives me nuts. But to the best of my knowledge blackberry emails route through Canada.

While Canada is our friend, there are still not the United States and it blows me away on the amount of government officials who use blackberry devices for sending and receiving government emails.

Granted ALL emails of the such SHOULD contain NO classified information. But any of you gov IT's out there know how that goes.

AND most people that have blackberry's I dont even think they know it is Canadian based (unless things have changed which I am not aware of)

I'm up and running! Got a Blackberry 7100t......... So far I love it! Still learning about all the features.

Just so you know, Treo is coming out with the model 700 in Jan. Thing is - it's a joint venture with Microsoft using a Palm/Windows hybrid. Might want to check in to that as well.

I own the Treo 650 - love it. But my bro, loves his blackberry more. Dunno if the new iPod phone thingy is any good or not.

My 2c.

Just so you know, Treo is coming out with the model 700 in Jan.  Thing is - it's a joint venture with Microsoft using a Palm/Windows hybrid.  Might want to check in to that as well.

I own the Treo 650 - love it.  But my bro, loves his blackberry more.  Dunno if the new iPod phone thingy is any good or not.

My 2c.
This is exactly why it was so difficult for me to make a decision.... To many choices! I'm sure as we get closer to the holidays I'm going to second guess my first choice.

Back