Painted Inner Fairings

Thinker62

Donating Member
Registered
This is where this board comes in handy. There are two recent threads on these, and the information isn't clear. There are two sources for getting painted Inner Fairings, Nick (Gixx1300r) and Race Ready. We all know Nick, and know that his work is beyond reproach. However, he is extremely busy and my experience has been that it is difficult to get his attention and get things done. And at this time of year, I don't want my bike down. Also, Nick charges $300 compared to ~$100 from Race Ready.

Now Race Ready is a new name around here. All he does are these Inner Fairings. RCcola and BACharles purchased his fairings. BA thoght the color mathched good, but indicated that the guy doesn't clearcoat the Inner Fairings. Yesterday, I talked to William (Race Ready) at length about his Inners. He was very vocal about the fact that he does clear coat the crap out of his inners. He did not understand what BA was talking about. Something is weird here.

The other difference is that the Race Ready Inners are still textured, whereas Nick's come smooth. Most of us thought that Nick sands down his Inners, but according to William (Race Ready), what Nick does is spray some material over the Inners, thick enough to create a smooth surface, then he paints and clears over that. But who really cares how he does it. We all know that Nick does awesome work, and if you can get on his schedule, you won't be unhappy. RC, please tell us how long you have had your Race Ready Inners. Were they clearcoated, and how have they stood up?

I ordered the inners from Race Ready and will report when I receive them. I also trust BA, so I will not be surprised if I am not satisfied with the amount of clear coat on them. I will also ask William to comment on the care and maintenance of is Inners.

Thinker

Best said Cheeseman. Support the brothaz here first!

Sounds to me like this is probably a perfect example of "getting what you pay for", hmmm?

$300 = work "beyond reproach"
~$100 = work that has been questioned

Put it this way... If you had a full race 7 second busa and didn't know how to drive it yourself would you...

a) ...hire an experienced and proven rider that costs $300 per race but knows how to handle your machine to give you the most out of your investment by putting it in the winner's circle consistently?

b) or, just show up at the track with bike in tow and pick a guy with unknown abilities and a questionable performance history out of the crowd just because he'd pilot your machine for $100 a race?

I know which way I'd go... It's a no brainer. Looks to me like the only difference here is that you're paying someone to paint instead of drive...

My comments are based solely on your stated knowledge regarding the two painters in question since I have never seen the work of either in person...

Can u say reputation?  You can get good refferals from this site  on other Playaz like myself and other who "frequently" deal here .  I cant say that everyone has been satisfied but I try to please all my brothaz here.  Nuff said!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys dont be too hard on Thinker62. I am admittingly busy when it comes to painting and I do sometimes take longer than expected but you will get back a job that you will be satisfied with. I dont rush on my paint jobs (quality before quantity). I have done more Inner fairings(and other stuff)for members on the Hayabusa boards than I can count. If you are in a rush I will send your business elsewhere.

Thinker62-I do sand down my Inner fairings before I prime them. I dont use a regular primer since it will not stick to plastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job Playa! By the way I never seen any negative feedback (post)on any hayabusa site dealing with your paint jobs. Keep up the good work (Bravo Zulu).

Guys dont be too hard on Thinker62. I am admittingly busy when it comes to painting and I do sometimes take longer than expected but you will get back a job that you will be satisfied with. I dont rush on my paint jobs (quality before quantity). I have done more Inner fairings(and other stuff)for members on the Hayabusa boards than I can count. If you are in a rush I will send your business elsewhere.

Thinker62-I do sand down my Inner fairings before I prime them. I dont use a regular primer since it will not stick to plastic.

Thanks Gixx, but nobody has given me a hard time. People here know that I speak the truth, good or bad. In this case, its all good, no hard feelings. I stand behind my comments that you (Gixx) do the best work around. I also believe in supporting board members. But I must also stand behind my comments that it was extremely difficult to get questions answered, arrange the work, and get the job done. It wasn't a case of slow or delayed work. I am a procrastinator by nature, but I know how busy you are and that you were just getting past difficult times, so I started working on this well in advance of riding season. I wasn't in a rush when I started, but when it took weeks which rolled into months to get a price quote and delivery info, I ENDED UP IN A RUSH, and as above, was told..."Gixx don't do rush jobs!" regardless of how it got to be a rush.

I went with Race Ready because the guy answered me...simple as that. He answered e-mail and picked up the phone. He seemed to care and made an effort to help me out of a jam. I had trips planned and didn't want to wait any longer. The guy came thru for me. As I requested, he supplied new parts, painted them, and delivered them so my bike had zero down time. And, I was rolling with painted inners at Laguna. They looked good, and I would do it again in a similar situation.

I didn't post a review because essentially, I got what I paid for, not what I ultimately wanted. BACharles was on the money. They look good, but peel too easily. They are not going to stand up to long term abuse. They still show the original texture, and not smooth like Gixx's. Race Ready is a good, lower cost alternative. The guy is improving on a daily basis. Like Brian suggested, come winter, I may try again with Gixx, so that I end up with what I really want. Since I will not be trying to order new pieces, perhaps it will be more routine work and I will not get bogged down with just trying to find out how much and how long. We will see.

So there are a few lessons to learn here:
1. You do get what you pay for.
2. The lesser desired option is better than nothing at all.
3. If you do not take care of your customers, and care about your customers, you will lose business.

And that is my .02

OK here's the deal. I got a set from Race Ready long before I discovered these boards. The ones from Race ready are NOT clear coated!! They flake if you blow on the incorrectly because they are not sanded or primered. You truly get what you pay for! My '02 was wrecked by an EX-friend (Very hard lesson, Don't loan your stuff!!!) but I just got my '03 hopefully Gixx1300r will have some time in the near future.

OK here's the deal.  I got a set from Race Ready long before I discovered these boards.  The ones from Race ready are NOT clear coated!!  They flake if you blow on the incorrectly because they are not sanded or primered.  You truly get what you pay for!  My '02 was wrecked by an EX-friend (Very hard lesson, Don't loan your stuff!!!) but I just got my '03 hopefully Gixx1300r will have some time in the near future.
Do it over the winter. That's what I did with my mirors. It took a little longer than advertised, but who cares when it is raining and snowing.

Back