Paint my Alien Head?????

crusty369

Registered
Debating on painting my Alien Head black. Couldn't justify dropping $300 plus for their black option. Thoughts on the rattle can option?

The problem might be preping the surface. If it's stainless that is really hard to get a good adhesion to. I think the $300 was a deal frankly. I think it takes more skill to paint well with a rattle can than a sprayer.

In the late '70's I got tired of the blue tint near the head of my chrome header down pipes and took it to a local monument place and they sand blasted the pipe for $5 and I painted it. You can touch my short meg after riding, so I think the rattle can would work. Give it a try.

have it powder coated.The place I use has a high temp coating that holds up to heat and is hard and wont scratch.

Yeah. Asked Travis at TM if he could hook me up. Didn't want 2 mess with it. Guess I can hunt for someone local.....

Well....sanded it with 220 grit, and trying out something different. Will post some pics, and keep folks posted on how it holds up. Worst case scenario, I'll pull it off the bike, and get it jet coated....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329209437.551946.jpg

I'm sure I'll end up going with a good ceramic jet coat. Will send in the entire system and have the inside surface of the headers done as well.
But...I was bored, had this around the shop...kind of gives it a metallic look in the light...
We'll see how it holds up, and if the heat turns the clear, lol. (;}€

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329244821.643979.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329244902.122417.jpg

That look's good :thumbsup: .....................for now.:laugh:

I have tried quite a few different options, and as far as a home done job only thing I have gotten to last is high temp powder. I've done the high heat engine paint,bbq paint,reg powder coat. Now any of them look good for a little while but the first 5-6" of the pipe is what causes the problem, I guess just all that heat getting squeezed from 4 into 1 tends to eat away whatever is there. But since doing the high temp powder I haven't had any problems. But I can only find high temp is satin black which still looks good, but I think it looks a lot better high gloss.

top is how the front with any paint & reg powder coat would all burn off,
2nd is high temp satin pc as it is now with no problems,
3rd is the high gloss reg. powder.

just keep playing with it and you'll find something that works and you like. :thumbsup: and if you don't ! Just redo it.:laugh:

DSCN6989.jpg

DSCI0047.jpg

DSCN6535 (2).jpg

Just got ahold of Tiradocustomcoatings in Seguin, Tx. Only about 75 miles from me. $75.00 to ceramicoat my Alienhead can. Stellar deal. Semi gloss black, and other colors available, (informed me they do no high gloss finishes in ceramic because the will fade due to heat). Guys have a stellar rep in this area for high quality, reasonable cost, and fast turnaround. I will keep everyone posted.
Shawn

Just got ahold of Tiradocustomcoatings in Seguin, Tx. Only about 75 miles from me. $75.00 to ceramicoat my Alienhead can. Stellar deal. Semi gloss black, and other colors available, (informed me they do no high gloss finishes in ceramic because the will fade due to heat). Guys have a stellar rep in this area for high quality, reasonable cost, and fast turnaround. I will keep everyone posted.
Shawn
Was this $75 for just the cans? or the whole system? (Asking because I want to do the headers on my 1982 GS1100e.)

Just the can...compared to $200+ for the same service from everyone else I called. Probably hit u the same for a set of headers...
Was going to have the whole system done, but got lazy....Plus, didn't feel like dealing with the shipping hassle..

Back