Pacific Northwest

...I've been that guy...I just go a little faster. Mud and dirt wash off.
The need to do so is part of the thrill of riding to me, taking bikes where they weren't designed to go...that and running from the fuzz, lmao.
Sportbikes at speed on hardpack dirt is alot of fun too...easy drifts and rolling burnouts.
I can honestly say I've never ridden my street bikes off road, I always had off road machines for this purpose.

I did ride on a few gravel roads and they were not real fun....my brother would go like a bat out of hell down these gravel roads on his Beemer without a care in the world...when I eventually caught up to him he'd have a knowing grin on his face...

71B75BD9-A0D3-4648-BC8C-03917A8AA170-M.jpg

6934891F-42D6-4D98-996E-3E90B2A51E63-M.jpg

01243DAB-CEBC-4BB7-B69A-562305438BBD-M.jpg

7DB030B4-7269-4716-A0C0-78FC5F6217F3-M.jpg

F8E67C0C-187C-405A-82C3-7CF10D3CBA6C-M.jpg

It would be wise to rebuild both front calipers and flush the lines too(or great time for ss lines).
As the caliper seals likely have the same age and use, as well as brake fluid breaks down and should be replaced every couple of years anyway.
If the pads are thin, Sintered pads stop better than Semi-Metalic, and Carbon/Ceramic are better still, so long as it's a Street Pad/doesn't need to be hot to grip well.
I would re-do all of the rear brakes too, just based on it was outside a long time, and brakes are kind of important.
Inexpensive peace of mind, and normal maintenance.

Easy highway cruising range of +/- 200 miles possible?

I wouldn’t count on 200 all the time. It all depends on your mileage on that ride’s tankful. Moderate steady speed with the wind, cruising below 5,000 rpm, maybe. Against the wind at a higher rpm, probably not. Try 175 as a target and check your mileage. Do this a few times varying your speed and revs so you’ll learn your bike. I lucked out early on and was able to stop for fuel within a mile of the low fuel light coming on 2-3 times. Each time I had a full gallon left so @ whatever my average mileage is, say, 38, I’d know I could go nearly 40 miles before needing gas. I’ve been caught out a couple times on tour though when my expected gas station was closed and the next one was 40+ miles away. I rode around 55 mph for those miserable 40+ miles and when I filled up I took 5 full gallons exactly. My California tank only holds 5 gallons. I lucked out.

Good to know. Years ago my dad and I rode from MI to OR. I had a CX500 Custom. She hit reserve at +/- 120 miles. That sucked.

Amazing to me how the CX has such a huge custom builder following now. It was not my favorite bike.

View attachment 1644008
Other than the Moto Guzzi style of the engine these things could barely get out of their own way...and the turbo version was dismal...

Although they do turn into a pretty cool retro style custom bike...

CX.jpg

Back