Overheating / Expansion bottle filling up!

pabxxv

Registered
Hi, can anyone advise please?
Whilst sat in traffic in hot weather, the temp gauge flew up into the red and i lost water from the overflow pipe (only a little).
I checked the fan switch and cleaned it and now the fan cuts in. I topped the expansion bottle and checked the radiator levels, the tested the bike by running it at tickover.
The fan cuts in, but the expansion bottle starts to fill up with very hot water, right up to the top... and on checking, the radiator level is dropping!
When the bike cools. the expansion bottle empties again.
I have tired to drain and refill the coolant but the same is happening.
Any advice greatly appreciated please.

Noticed the overflow reservoir when cold the coolant level is at the line mark. When it's hot the reservoir fills completely. Cools off again the coolant level is on the mark. Same thing for months never changes.
The fan comes on at the middle red mark on the gauge.

When I was running without a side fairing. In a group ride was another Busa. His fan would go on while mine wouldn't. Extra air flow kept the engine cool enough not to activate the fan.

Cooling system when first filled with coolant. There'll be trapped air in the system. Best to fill best you can intially. Run the engine to pump the air out. Top off the radiator and run it again.
Let the engine cool and top off the radiator one more time. Fill the coolant reservoir to the marked midddle line. Should do it.

Sounds like the fan connector was afoul. Got so hot the coolant expanded more then normal. Cooled and pulled all the reservoir amout and some air.

If that's happening mate, there's a problem. The water must be leaving the radiator or pipework and that's not good. Could be really hot round the motor.
We've managed to rectify mine by draining the fluid again and tilting the bike right over to the left whilst filling, so the radiator cap is at the highest point. Bike is now running fine and fan cutting in as hoped. Level in expansion botlle not moving by more than approx 10mm

<!--EDIT|pabxxv
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119521218 -->

anyone running that REDLINE : WATER WETTER? engine ice is just too damn expensive...
rock.gif

Have been out on a good long run tonight, including some static studff in the towns. Bike is running way lower temp and not overheating at all. Expansion bottle level hardly moving. Phew
Just using 50:50 water and anti freeze

Mine over heats just sitting for a traffic light!! I changed the coolant but didn't help, yes I got the air out. My fan doesn't stay runnig either. It kicks in runs for about 30 sec. shuts of comes bake on in about a minute. The hole time the lightis on and in the red. Any one want to buy a slightly over heated busa with 13,458 miles? I will have to get some water wetter I guess, and a new fan switch?? It cant cost more than a new motor can it?
sad.gif

run water wetter in a 10% ww with (50/50 mix for 90%) I think... also run the bike with the rad cap off and move it back and forth alot and pretty far tip in each direction to work the air bubbles up. next rev and add coolant rev and add coolant then close cap :-)

thats what it took for me to drop the temp on the bike during long slow riding / traffic. also have a fan override that I can force the fan on any time I want
smile.gif

Okay, after rebuilding my salvage title beast I got to the part where I refilled my (new!) radiator. Used the Wetter too. Followed the directions in the manual. Still, when it ran for a few minutes I got boiling water shooting into the overflow tank like you did. WTF? Rechecked and refilled everything that would take water. Same problem. Huh.... Okay. So the next day I laid her on her side by accident (Don't ask. 500Lbs is right) When I got her up I checked the water level in the radiator. Low. Ahhh ha! Filled it up and she's run well below mid-gauge ever since. No more boiling in the overflow tank.

So, to make it short, when the book says tip the bike from side to side to assure complete filling of the cooling system you should read "lay the damn thing on it's side, right it, and recheck." Worked for me.

I've ran water wetter first...worked good....Heard about Engine Ice from a few dragstrip guys...the car kind anyway...use it now.....can't really tell a difference. premixed just add and go. takes two bottles....I got mine for 14 bucks a bottle at a local stelership.

John

have you thought about installing a manual bypass fan switch. i have a fan switch that i can turn on when it is hot and i am sitting in traffic or colling down at the track. the way that i wired it ,you leave the switch turned off the stock tstat will run\cycle the fan. that really will help out. noon of a hot day in downtown traffic with the switch on, no water additives, it will stay just below the half way mark.

Back