Opinions on this jacket?

Turbo-Torch

Donating Member
Registered
Been looking for a good jacket that would somewhat match the colors on my old CX500T.
To my surprise I found this:

jacket.jpg

This is the bike I want it to match:

500Turbo.jpg

This '05 jacket looks like it was damn near custom made to match that '82 bike...would it be wrong to color coordinate so closely with a motorcycle?
smile.gif

Haven't heard any complaints on Icon quality, but how is the fit? I found this jacket on clearance since it's an '05 style but the smallest size is a 44. My Joe Rocket and First Gear Jackets are Medium size and have a comfortable yet snug fit with liners installed. I'm 5'7" and ~170 lbs. medium build...would a size 44 Icon be too big?

I was gonna say too much white but then I saw the Honda. I have allways amired those turbo's how is it to ride? oh and yes on the Jacket.

I would get Icon stuff at least 1 size bigger. Good quality gear in my opinion. Should you get a white one for a white bike? Unless someone else helped you buy it-get what YOU want and nevermind every one else.
smile.gif

you're right, looks like it is made for the bike. yes i would get it!

<!--EDIT|Tool
Reason for Edit: None given...|1140491136 -->

I was gonna say too much white but then I saw the Honda.  I have allways amired those turbo's how is it to ride? oh and yes on the Jacket.
They're blast to ride. The 500 runs at 19.3 psi and has a Jekyll & Hyde personality. The fuel injection system with the 3 map self diagnosing ECU designed all around the turbo is mind blowing when you consider the build date was late 1981. It's like riding a motorcycle version KITT complete with the bar graph "TURBO BOOST" gauge.
smile.gif

Handling is surprisingly good even with the limited choice of tires. Pro-Link monoshock rear suspension and the front forks have an adjustable anti-dive feature that I'd love to see on modern bikes.

The 650T only runs at 16.4 psi but has a larger turbo, higher compression and an additional 175cc. In a roll-on from 50 to 150 mph it won't get left behind by a stock Busa which is pretty amazing for a 650 v-twin.
Not much to gain in performance though. If you try to increase boost the computer senses it and the bike goes into a "limp home mode" that decreases performance so the turbo can't spool up and you have to turn the igniton off and back on to reset it. ROM's have been dumped but nobody has been able to decipher them yet.
sad.gif

I would get Icon stuff at least 1 size bigger. Good quality gear in my opinion. Should you get a white one for a white bike? Unless someone else helped you buy it-get what YOU want and nevermind every one else.
smile.gif
That's what I wanted to hear!
smile.gif
I was figuring 42 so the 44 will probably be fine.

smile.gif

the jacket looks good..

but the bike... for an 82 that is a really really sharp bike... i mean it looks as good as most 1 yr old bike running around.

kudos!

how is the lump in there anyway?

looks like a v-twin sitting sideways from what most of us are used too.. like a 30 degree twin or something?

smile.gif
+1
I have a Icon Motorhead skull jacket and they are sized small. I ordered mine 2 sizes bigger than my normal everyday winter jackets and it fits great.

how is the lump in there anyway?

looks like a v-twin sitting sideways from what most of us are used too.. like a 30 degree twin or something?
Yep, she's an 80º transverse v-twin and the heads are canted 22º. 4 valves per cylinder and it's done by pushrod. It makes power up to and beyond it's 10,000 rpm redline.

Here's a close up of the engine on my former 1979 CX500 Custom. The bikes share nothing, but the engine design is identical.

cx3.jpg

I bought that 500C around '91 off the orginal owner and that picture is from the Ebay auction when I sold her last year. Lots of fun times with that bike!

Icon Jacket is on sale at New Enough right now : http://www.newenough.com/icon_neodaytona_jacket_page.htm

Back