opinions: no prep tire

pcs

Registered
got another 1/2 mile event in dec. looking at the the drag max, shinko hook up pro, and the q5. this event is on an asphalt runway and the only prep is sweeping dirt off. if it was a sprayed prep tracked, i would be looking at the drag or hook up. however since this isnt a prep, im considering a sticky street tire. wondering if the extra grip from the drag or hookup past a 1/4 mile will hold me back. any thoughts?

I would think that the Q5 would have a smaller contact patch, based on the shape of the carcass, vs the other tires, which have a flatter profile, and the Q5 would have less higher speed drag as a result.
I would also think that due to the differences in tires profiles, that the Q5 may be the tallest of the 3(yes, I know they are all the same tire size, but their is variance across manufacturers and designs), so there may be the potential there for the small extra to gain another mph.
I can confirm neither of these, but belive that they would be worth looking into.

Here’s a comparison.

IMG_3645.jpg

IMG_3642.jpg

IMG_3643.jpg

got another 1/2 mile event in dec. looking at the the drag max, shinko hook up pro, and the q5. this event is on an asphalt runway and the only prep is sweeping dirt off. if it was a sprayed prep tracked, i would be looking at the drag or hook up. however since this isnt a prep, im considering a sticky street tire. wondering if the extra grip from the drag or hookup past a 1/4 mile will hold me back. any thoughts?
Hi. I will be using an Mitchelin Power Cup 2 200/55/17. It has an 82 inch roll out. Roll the tire one time it cover 82 inches.

Reactions: pcs
roll out is a popular a measurement in the sand drag/ hill shooting community. good explanation especially for those who aren’t familiar with that. i’ll take a look at the Michelin tire.

Back