On the Hummer H2 ad

FLCN72

Registered
I had a friend send me this article.  I found it interesting enough that I thought I'd post it here.  Along with my response.

The problem with Hummer's new ad.
By Seth Stevenson
Posted Monday, Nov. 24, 2003, at 9:24 AM PT

Spot: "Big Race"

Product: The Hummer H2 sport utility vehicle.

Synopsis: A moody-looking tween enters a soapbox derby. The car
he builds looks remarkably like a Hummer H2, except much
smaller (it could fit in the H2's wheel well) and made of wood
(instead of ballistic chromified Kevlar or whatever).

At the start line, the kid's unorthodox, cobbled-together car
gets snickered at. When the race begins, the other kids?in
sleek, low-to-ground soapbox racers?speed down the winding
pavement. The Hummer kid?in his big-wheeled contraption?veers
off-road, cuts straight across all the switchbacks, careens
back onto the pavement at the last instant, and crosses the
finish line first.

(In the 60-second version, we also learn that the kid got the
wood for the car by dismantling a doghouse. With the dog still
in it.)

Analysis: This is an incredibly well made ad. I hate it.

The music is the Who's "Happy Jack," which is sort of a
brilliant choice. On one level, the song tugs at boomers who
rocked out to it in the '60s. But there's an ancillary target:
The tune's stripped-down, British Invasion sound would fit
right in on the Rushmore soundtrack, giving it some resonance
with a younger crowd. (Rushmore actually used a different Who
song from the same album.)

For sheer entertainment value, this is a fantastic commercial.
Visually arresting. Engrossing narrative. (And an unexpectedly
wussy, un-Hummer-y art-house pedigree: It was directed by the
guy who did Shine, and the ad's cinematographer worked on
Amélie.) Plus, of course, the kick-ass Who song. My problem is
with its underlying ethics.

1. The Hummer kid cheats. Yes, the company's Web site offers
"thinking outside the box" justifications, pointing out that
the race rules are just "First one down wins." But I don't buy
it. He fails to stay on a clearly demarcated course. In my
book, that's an automatic DQ. Anyway, the off-road driving
didn't even look that treacherous?I bet the regular cars could
have handled it, too, if their drivers were little cheating
brats. Were I the other kids, I would have ripped the wheels
off the soapbox Hummer and beat the cheater about the head with
them.

2. He endangers other racers. His car is much bigger and
heavier, with a higher center of gravity. At one point, only
minimally in control of his vehicle, drunk on the
overconfidence he draws from his outsized deathmobile, the
Hummer kid hurtles across the road right as the rest of the
pack is passing. He just barely misses crushing another kid's
car, and possibly spine.

3. What about the poor dog? We see it left abandoned in its
now-useless doghouse, peering sadly through gaping holes where
the slats the kid stole used to be. Conclusion: The Hummer kid
hoards earth's precious resources, sating his own vanity at the
expense of less fortunate, voiceless members of society.

Of course, some will love the shameless Hummer kid and his
take-no-prisoners, win-at-all-costs individualism. Not
coincidentally, these are the sort of people who buy Hummers.
It would make no sense for the company to aim this spot at
folks craving a quiet, go-along-get-along image, because those
people aren't buying 40-ton cars. The Hummer kid is a me-first
kid, and the Hummer is without doubt a me-first vehicle.

But the company tries to have it both ways. By showing us that
the kid has devised a novel race strategy, worked hard to build
his ramshackle entry, and gotten ridiculed at the start line,
Hummer tries to steal back a little respect and good will. The
ad also lets the Hummer buyer spin his purchase as an act of
clever outsiderism, recasting his inner bully as a scrappy
underdog. It failed to convert me, but then I drive a 1992
Honda Accord.

As the kid crosses the finish line, the Who sings, "And they
couldn't prevent Jack from feeling happy," and that's an
appealing notion: No one can stop me from being happy, once
I've got my Hummer. No one, I tell you! To my eyes, though, as
the kid closes out his no doubt soon-to-be-disputed soapbox
victory, he looks less happy than determined and grim.

Grade: B. Probably the most memorable car ad since Volkswagen's
"Mr. Blue Sky" spot. Points off for moral bankruptcy.

Seth Stevenson is a frequent Slate contributor.

Article URL: http://slate.msn.com/id/2091577/

This was my response back to my friend.  I didn't write to the original author.  :D

I've seen that commercial too.  And agree with the author that it is very clever and well made on a number of levels.  It will undoubtedly appeal to the target market for Hummers, which is its very purpose.  As such it is and will be successful.

I'm inclined to see the article's author as having taken a somewhat tongue-in-cheek approach to expressing his views on this topic -- namely the SUV proliferation in America.  Though I've no doubt the underlying outrage is very real.  Which brings me to my point.

The Hummer H2 is big.  Really really big.  Almost unfathomably big.  I drive a rather large vehicle (a full-sized pick-up truck) which is dwarfed by a Hummer H2.  My days of seeing over the tops of everything on the road but big rigs is over.  Unless of course I get a bigger truck... Hmmm...  But that wouldn't be practical for me, since my choice of vehicles is dictated in part by occupational requirements.  Big is useful for me, but biggest would really only add operating expenses and purchase costs without useful gains in work capacity.

Some will say that they exempt me from the scorn they heap on SUV/truck owners, since I can demonstrate that I use those heavy duty capacities.  Others might consider me no different than the average Hummer owner.  Up to them, I suppose.  But to the first group I would ask, how do we determine who deserves a big truck/SUV?  Where do we draw the line in terms of socially acceptable vehicle size?

Right now it is determined by pocketbooks and desire.  Those who want a big SUV and can afford it, get one.  Then they deal with the costs of putting fuel in it, the hassles of parking it, and the dirty looks from those who disapprove.  Those first two are nasty, let me tell ya.  I've looked into a number of ways for me to avoid those two and have to date failed.  Perhaps I'll be able to afford an additional car someday, that I can use instead of the truck when the truck's power isn't needed.  But until then I am stuck with my current situation.

And that might be the situation facing many SUV owners.  No they don't always need the towing capacity, off road capability, cargo space, and passenger room of their SUV.  But when they do need some or even all of those abilities, an economical hybrid won't be enough.  And they simply can't afford to be a three or four car family.

But the Hummer is so big, so uneconomical, and so decadent that it can't be fairly compared to other SUVs.  Well...  I'm not so sure about that.  The engine in the Hummer is very similar (identical in many cases) to the engines found in a number of other trucks and SUVs.  It is that powerplant that allows it to tow and haul big loads like boats and boat-loads of chubby kids... but also requires expensive stops at the gas station.  What I am getting at here is that the Hummer H2 really isn't any more wasteful than the other SUVs built from full-sized truck components... despite its appearance.  It is just that the Hummer H2 is styled in such a way to make it look extra big and wasteful that has made it such a target and symbol.

I understand the objection to SUV proliferation.  I just can't endorse it completely.  Those lines between "need" and "needless want" are too blurry for my eyes to discern, especially with regards to other people's choices.  But I do have a peace offering to make to both sides of this issue.  Ethanol and biodiesel.  They are renewable resources.  Both burn cleaner than their petroleum based opposites, which might lessen some of the environmental objections to big SUVs.  Though they are a bit more expensive to produce, they are made within our national borders within our national economy.  But most importantly of all to me, if these alternative fuels are used more, then demand for my crops will go up along with my profits.  

In that mostly tongue-in-cheek way I'll end my response to a somewhat tongue-in-cheek article written about a very tongue-in-cheek commercial.  
;)

<!--EDIT|FLCN72
Reason for Edit: None given...|1069810632 -->

H2... Over rated Image poser mobile for guys with little bobos and women who are so shallow that they really believe driving one of these "Tool mobiles" will actually empower them.

I agree that SUV's has a place, and I endorse the recent move the industry is making towards "Crossover" vehicles.  In America the SUV has become a status symbol, one almost as prolific as the Harley Davidson.  Now some folks have a legitimate use for a larger vehicle, families with kids etc.  But a good deal of folks buy them just for the freakin image, slow, ill handling, and huge has become cool somehow.  Prolly because Americans are the fattest bunch of folks on the planet and the extra size of the SUV makes it easier for the waddling masses to get in and out and they can relate on a deeper level to a vehicle that relates so directly to their own physical form...

My problem with the H2 is the unspoken lies behind it.  The original Hummer was at least an extremely capable off road vehicle; the new H2 is nothing but a paper doll in a prom dress.  Oh sure looks good now but there isn't any content.  It's a freakin re-bodied Tahoe but the hapless dipshits buying this thing are blinded by the LOOK.  The original Hummer had a fully independent suspension, true 4-wheel drive, inboard brakes, and was a fully capable vehicle.  The H2?  All conventional underpinnings...straight Chevy.  Buy a Tahoe, at least your getting some value for your dollar.

So we have a large percentage of Americans driving SUVs, gas guzzling, ill handling pimped up trucks.  And here is where my point lives today.  We allow any idiot with a license to walk out of their car, hop into a Top heavy, blind spot prolific, long stopping distance havin,  road beast without any additional training.  Now a good number of us understand that the SUV is still a truck and treat as such, but there is a huge number of SUV drivers that have NO CLUE.  They seem to think that the 8,000lb SUV will turn and stop just like a car.  You see them every day, weaving through traffic, tailgating, etc… totally clueless that they are for the most part out of control.  Combine this with the cell phone chatter, make-up application, burger eating, kid screaming, and ego pumping and you have a soccer mom or some other hapless dipshit with a new found lethality.  If I saw more effectively driven SUV’s out there I wouldn’t be so harsh, but every time I hear about the Mom and two kids splattered all over the Interstate when their freakin SUV rolled over I find myself shrugging my shoulders… Darwinism in action… cold blooded maybe, but when you read about a woman who drove right over a guy on a freaking HD Road King in her SUV while he is trying to turn right because she wasn’t paying attention I get plain old pissed.  Oh and she got a ticket yep…careless driving…  

I wont even get into the waste of natural resources involved when you got a freakin Suburban with one guy in it commuting to his corporate office every day…

Back to the cross-over vehicle…fancy name for a station wagon, which is all it is and is proof that were coming around slowly (I hope) and the realization is sinking in that gee, maybe the SUV is best left to those who need it.  I like em, small enough to be handy, big enough to get the job done and you get decent gas mileage.  I’ll take an Infiniti FX45 thanks.

So what have we learned today?  1. H2 Poser small bobo machine…. 2. Lots of people don’t know how to drive a car let alone an SUV… 3.  I’m a cold-blooded ####### who likes Darwinism.   4.  I need to drink less coffee in the mornings…

Oh yeah, and of course all Motorcyclists have a legitimate need and use for an SUV (Parts) and are more than likely extremely capable drivers who are exempt from this tirade.  Unless you suck.  

Love,

Rev  

Oh, And I like the kids ingenuity and creative thought...But I am willing to bet he caught a beatin at school the next day...

Man Revlis...you wear me out too early in the day! I'm exhausted now... :tounge:

I am a true anti-SUV person...hate them...hate being behind them...hate it when my friends start getting pregnant and before they're even 2 months along, they've sold all the fun toys for a nice, big, expensive SUV...and just like Rev said, they can't park it, they can barely see over the steering wheel, oh and here's my favorite that I witness on a regular basis here in the country - they can't judge how big their vehicle is, so SUV drivers love to ride the white line, crossing it here and there to toss rocks all over my little convertible...I steer clear of SUV's when I'm on the Busa...I know they don't see me and I wouldn't stand a chance against one...

Rule 1 for SUV ownership is that you can control the damn thing...if you can't do that, you get a Yugo! Work your way up from there...

Proud to say that I tote two kids around in the back of a Mustang GT convertible...hubby's got a Miata (as many of you know and poke fun at), so my car's THE family vehicle...we do have a van for the Great Danes, but we don't use it much...I have caught hell for not selling my car for 3 years now...kind of makes me proud (*sniff* *sniff*)... :D

Oh yeah...what was this thread about?! :cool:

By the way FLCN72, good reply to your friend...

<!--EDIT|VaBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1069859057 -->

Very, very well written you guys !! Here in Calgary as you can imagine we get snow, everyone and their friggin dog thinks they need a big POS 4X4 SUV here, in fact I think we have one of the highest per capita of SUV's in North America. I can only hope that there is hope, the education is out there, hopefully one of these days these idiots will realize that they shouldn't be driving these ridiculously heavy, overpriced road killers. :mad:

Face it... Cagers suck! we should shoot them all... any surviviors we'll shoot again!!!

<!--EDIT|RaiderDm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1069997588 -->

It's tough enough when you can't see around an SUV, but it really boils my beans when I see the driver swerving out of their lane with the phone glued to their head. Also, being in SoFla doesn't help with the high percentage of retirees in Buicks, Caddys, Lincolns, who can't drive and cause my insurance rates to go up. Geez, I got yo hummer right here!!!

i was going to read the whole thing but DAM! u guys made it long!
i bet if u take the post to ur local community college u could get some college credit for writing that short book:laugh: :laugh : : ;) :

by the way check out the sneckers commerical.

thats my fav.
the one were the dude drives around in a giant suv and brags that it took a c note to fill a half tank and brags about other things while driving.
than finally crashes in to his garage because the suv dnt fit in.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

thats the best commerical iv seen in a long time.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Back