oil rigs?

busastalker05

Registered
does anyone here work on an oil rig?
me and a guy from work are looking to head to the gulf
any advice? or companies to look for ?
certs?
any trust worthy websites to look at ?

I have a nieghbor who works on one. One month on and one month off. If the pay was right i wouldn't mind working on one as a medic....Let us know what you find out.

I'd rather work on the boats,I worked on crew boats before going to my present gig.

I do..

Not a good business to be in right now, very slow.. Go to rigzone.com, about the best site for employment in the oil industry. The gulf is a good place to look as they haven't had nearly the layoffs we have had out here on the west coast.. Better yet is going international...

Good Luck...

i used to work for ENSCO. i worked on a drilling rig (ENSCO 94 jackup rig) in the Gulf of Mexico. it really depends on the crew and what you are actually doing. my adoptive brother is a driller and my brother-in-law was a welder. i also know a couple of guys that work on production rigs, but they had worked longer and their pay was much lower than mine at the time.

my schedule was 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. i started as a roustabout and was a roughneck before i left. there wasn't a lot of turnover on our rig, but other rigs people can move up the ladder reasonably well.

if you are single i recommend it. the job and stress can cause strife in a marriage. divorce rates are probably higher with these jobs since couples can easily get disconnected.

oh, my Brother-in-Law no longer works offshore. he missed his family and found a land job after 16 years of the rig. my adoptive brother normally works 30 days on and 30 days off and i believe he is back in Egypt now. not sure which company he is working for. he's changed a few times in the last 20 years.

i am also a welder would that help any with the job? would i still start out as a roustabout?
what are some of their duties? and the 2 weeks on 2 off or 1 month on 1 off sounds about perfect for me as well......
also i couldnt really find anything but when your off theyfly you back and your OFF for the 2 weeks correct? so i would be able to drive home to Nc on my time off ???

Back