Oil gurus and motor freaks...

TXBusa05LE

Registered
After 329 days, I finally changed the oil in my car.  However, in those 329 days, I only drove it 4,728 miles.

Let's just say the Busa has more miles on it than the Accord does!

Owner's manual: "If the message "˜"˜SERVICE OIL'' does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year."

Don't worry, I have my flame suit on so I'm protected!  
rofl.gif

As long as you didn't drive it any more than you have stated, does it matter that you did not change the oil?

I know I read somewhere to change every 3K or 3 months, whichever came first, but is that really necessary?

Its a car...who cares.
laugh.gif

My friends wife: "I need to check my oil?"
dunno.gif

Motor go *boom*.

Another buddies wife. She felt she should fill up the oil till it was full.She kept pouring in quart after quart till she saw the level in the valve cover fill hole. Motor go *boom*
dunno.gif

This has been an' important service announcement,and not a direct attack on women.
winkold.gif

RSD.

dunno.gif

Its a car...who cares.
laugh.gif

My friends wife: "I need to check my oil?"
dunno.gif

Motor go *boom*.

Another buddies wife. She felt she should fill up the oil till it was full.She kept pouring in quart after quart till she saw the level in the valve cover fill hole. Motor go *boom*
dunno.gif

This has been an' important service announcement,and not a direct attack on women.
winkold.gif

RSD.
jump9.gif

dunno.gif

the reason the interval of three months is often mentioned is because of the fact that fuel vapors get past the pistons sometimes, and get down into the oil. this in turn breaks the oil down, which decreases the protection your oil provides to the motor.

However, most of todays oils are formulated to better resist this kind of breakdown, especially the synthetics.

I've always viewed it as spending 25 bucks to protect a motor that would cost over 2 grand to replace.

hahaha I have a turbo miata with full syntethics and change it every 6 months for the same reason... let's just say that I only had 19 miles on the car since the last oil change .... and the dealership was
bowdown.gif
, just because they had always service the car and there are some miata freaks there and only 2 MAZDASPEED technicians.. so I lend the car to one of the techs to take it home since he is crazy about the car and has always perform all my maintenance.. I got the car on march 04 and it only has 12,123 miles on it.. a bunch of aftermarket stuff and I just only use it for drift events really ... not to practical for daily duty.. but I always stay on top of the fluids and tires since I can eat a set of BFG KD 18" in a matter of minutes...
firedevil.gif

the reason the interval of three months is often mentioned is because of the fact that fuel vapors get past the pistons sometimes, and get down into the oil.  this in turn breaks the oil down, which decreases the protection your oil provides to the motor.  

However, most of todays oils are formulated to better resist this kind of breakdown, especially the synthetics.  

I've always viewed it as spending 25 bucks to protect a motor that would cost over 2 grand to replace.
This is typical for many American cars and others designed with a built in obsolesence otherwise known as a planned service life.

Honda powertrain engineering is not unscrupulous unlike that of domestic and various other imports.

In the old days, cars were much looser when it came to "piston-ring-cylinder" seal. So the three months or 3000 miles interval was put in place as a rule of thumb. Also, it serves the agenda of the domestic petroleum industry to encourage frequent oil changes for profit concerns.

Nowadays, ultra-efficient and low emission vehicles such as your Honda are designed to a higher standard with endurance architecture negating the need for a bottom end overhaul early in the service life due to its inherent low friction and coinciding longevity. This results in a much better ability to contain air-fuel within the combustion chamber and out of the crankcase so as to not pollute your oil.

Don't waste your money, follow Honda's recommended (warranteed) service routine.

Merry Christmas.

This has always been a touchy subject in my house. My wife insists on following Jiffy Lubes recommendations of every 3 months/3k miles...but I aint having it.
First off....NO manufacturer recommends those intervals. Usually its somewhere around 5k-7500 miles...depending on driving conditions. And Ive even seen where they recommend changing the filter every OTHER oil change. If you use good quality motor oil (We use the synthetic AMSOIL for every fluid in all three of our vehicles) then you'll be fine. I change the oil in my wifes van and my F150 once a year or 25k miles...whichever comes first. The bike gets done every 2500 miles.
With good oil, everything else is kind of a waste in my opinion.
Flame on....but it works for me.
cool.gif

This has always been a touchy subject in my house.  My wife insists on following Jiffy Lubes recommendations of every 3 months/3k miles...but I aint having it.  
First off....NO manufacturer recommends those intervals.  Usually its somewhere around 5k-7500 miles...depending on driving conditions.  And Ive even seen where they recommend changing the filter every OTHER oil change.  If you use good quality motor oil (We use the synthetic AMSOIL for every fluid in all three of our vehicles) then you'll be fine.  I change the oil in my wifes van and my F150 once a year or 25k miles...whichever comes first.  The bike gets done every 2500 miles.  
With good oil, everything else is kind of a waste in my opinion.
Flame on....but it works for me.
cool.gif
You too, are BRONSON!  
muscle.gif

This 3 month thing is based on dusty and dirty places like where I live in the Plains. It's real dusty out here in the summer, and winter for that matter. So, it's NOT that the oil has loss anything, it's to get the DIRT out of the system. And that means the oil filter also ! I would think if you live in a relative non dusty place like the East Coast or the LEFT Coast you'll be safe going 5,000 miles or 1 year without any problems !
2cents.gif

I change my oil every 500 miles or one month which ever comes first, 'cause when you syphon your oil out of the neighbour's cars at 3 in the morning it's kinda hard to know the quality you're getting.  
laugh.gif

cool.gif

cheers
ken

Most cars these days say in the manual to change the oil every 5000 miles. Both my cars are that way. Funny though that the "industry standard" is 3 months or 3000 miles.

After 329 days, I finally changed the oil in my car.  However, in those 329 days, I only drove it 4,728 miles.

Let's just say the Busa has more miles on it than the Accord does!

Owner's manual: "If the message "˜"˜SERVICE OIL'' does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year."

Don't worry, I have my flame suit on so I'm protected!  
rofl.gif
I am so proud of you.

Al Gore

On my Impala show car, I have only had the change oil light come on three times in the last 6 years. I don't drive it very much, but I do change the oil in spring and fall regardless of miles. I use a heavier weight oil in the summer since it gets hotter here. In the winter I use a little bit lighter weight.

BMW Says I don't need to mess with the Oil in my Brand new car for 10K miles or 1 year. This is supposed to be with the OEM synthetic oil in it...
argue.gif

I ignored them, no way I'm leaving the Oil in there for 9000 miles after break in, it makes no sense. So I dropped the oil at 500miles, and will again at 5K miles. With modern Full Ester synthetics being as good as they are, there just isn't much reason to change every 3K miles really, and I'm sure that BMW's 10K mile interval would work fine. But I'm just a little more cautious and I drive the hell outta my vehicles, they spend a lot of time near and at red line.

However, time wise, I don't think with modern Synthetics it's a big deal if that oil is in there for a year or more, it looks fresh and healthy, it isn't hygroscopic so should be just fine sitting there for awhile, especially in a climate controlled garage.
thumb_up.gif

Most cars these days say in the manual to change the oil every 5000 miles.  Both my cars are that way.  Funny though that the "industry standard" is 3 months or 3000 miles.
<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Funny though that the "industry standard" is 3 months or 3000 miles.[/quote]

Thats Jiffy lubes recomondation.
crazy.gif

If there gonna change it that often I hope the drain plug and/or seal gets changed alot too.And that some "grease monkey"
face7.gif
doesn't end up stripping the threads on the filter or the pan.

RSD.

By the way...Rubb dont change his oil anymore.
pillepalle.gif

Back