Oil Changes

From what the general concencus of org. recommnents, It appears that is Suzuki company would like to increase their parts sale and dealer
profits by the following of ther suggeated mantenance schelule
Mike

and I was told I was wasting good oil by changing every 3K with Amsoil???

You really don't have to change it that often, but everybody has their opinion. It will go a lot longer than that.

The bottom line is exactly that, "If it works for you."

Well if that was the case where I was doing that kind of mileage, I would do it before and or after a ride like that. The longest ride for me is 3oo miles. And listen, bottom line is the more you change your oil the better in my professional opinion. I wouldn't mind doing some kind of mileage test to see whose engine last longer without a mechanical failure.I would take the smart bet that mine will last longer. Just as an example, I had a 77 Chevy van that I got from my mother. She was the 2nd owner. When she gave it to me it had about 95,000 miles on it. She changed the oil and filter every 2,500 miles. When I got it I changed the all the gaskets except for the heads, and changed the oil every 2,000 miles with a good brand 10-w40 weight and when I sold it it had 500,000 miles on it. Laugh and poke fun all you want. I stick to what works for longevity....:whistle:

I agree with BusaWizard, I think Im going to just not change my oil anymore and run the oil bypass kit instead. :laugh:

Absolutely change before each riding season. The mileage recommendation is only ONE recommendation for changing oil...the other is time, as in you should change ever X amount of miles OR every 3 months...whatever comes first. Obviously it is fine to winterize the bike and let it sit for over 3 months without running for the winter, but change gefore you fire up and ride.

And the other thing...not sure why some of you nuts feel the need to start the bike up and let it run off and on throughout the winter...if it is properly winterized, just leave it. In fact I would think that you could actually cause MORE issues in regards to gumming injectors, etc...especially if you dont use enough fuel stabilizer.

Well if that was the case where I was doing that kind of mileage, I would do it before and or after a ride like that. The longest ride for me is 3oo miles. And listen, bottom line is the more you change your oil the better in my professional opinion. I wouldn't mind doing some kind of mileage test to see whose engine last longer without a mechanical failure.I would take the smart bet that mine will last longer. Just as an example, I had a 77 Chevy van that I got from my mother. She was the 2nd owner. When she gave it to me it had about 95,000 miles on it. She changed the oil and filter every 2,500 miles. When I got it I changed the all the gaskets except for the heads, and changed the oil every 2,000 miles with a good brand 10-w40 weight and when I sold it it had 500,000 miles on it. Laugh and poke fun all you want. I stick to what works for longevity....:whistle:

Im not doubting you or anything but i just think thats a waste of oil but if you have the money to spend to do that then more power to you, im sure it would make your engine last forever, I would have to change my oil every other day if i did that I ride back and forth from work and it alone is 100 miles, not including the riding i do afterwards, in a week i have over 1000 miles easy!!! Glad it works for ya and i hope your bike does last forever. :thumbsup:

You DO realize that in a modern engine, the rings do all the "seating" they are gonna do within the first 20 miles or so, right?

I agree that those first break-in miles are important to seating the rings properly. But, IMHO 20 miles doesn't finish the ring/piston break-in.

I've seen steady MPG improvements over the first 1000 miles after replacing my pistons/rings (Turbo). My tuner also asked that I not switch to synthetic for at least 2000 miles.

Honestly, I'm no expert. You can get lots of opinions here. In my case, the improvement in MPH did indicate to me that *something* was breaking in...

Just my .02.

Keep the rubber side down.

Don't know for sure but every three months or three thousand miles with a quality dino oil and a good oild filter would be ok. I use the Mobil Delvac 15w-40 dino and a wix oil filter. Wix is a good filter and readily available at most of the local auto parts store in my area.

I ride a K8 Busa and normally change the oil 4 times a year.

Got a 1990 Isuzu Trooper with 360K on it still going strong, ran Castrol GTX most of its life @ 3000 mi oil changes. Probably could have changed it at 5K and still be here. No more 3K oil changes for me on cages, now 5 to 6. The oil nowadays wil handle it. (IMHO.) -Bikes still get 3K changes. :cheerleader:

Last edited:
I saw an article in cycle world that said cranking your bike and letting it run is the worst thing you can do because it doesnt get the oil to the correct temp for circulation. without riding it some distance and getting the rpms up, you are just pulling the contaminants up from the oil pan and leaving them on the cylider walls. Its best to do a proper winter storage and leave it alone. Just FYI

change the oil and filter :beerchug:

and go with this...10w-40 full synthetic :thumbsup:

just did mine today toke me 2 & 1/2 hrs. But got it done right ooo and don't forget to make sure when you check the oil level the bike is up right .

Cuse i all most put to much in there .

Well if you ask GM they'll tell you to go by your oil life monitor. If it doesn't come on, then change your oil at least once a year. . .:poke: Do you think they're right just because they've been building cars/engines for who knows how many years? My uncle has a lexus with about 450,000 miles on it. Uses mobile 1 and changes it every 8-10,000 miles. Had an oil pan gasket put on it and the service department called him and told him to come in cause they needed to show him something. When he got there they asked him "what kind of oil do you use?" He told them mobile 1. They took him in the back and showed him the inside of his engine and said, "That's the cleanest engine I've ever seen and you've got (at the time) 250,000 miles on it. It looks like it just came off the assembly line. I wanted to know what kind of oil you were using so I could recomend it to all our customers." Changing every 600 miles is ok if that's what you want to do, but it's not doing anything for the longevity of the life of the engine. There really is absolutely no reason to change it that often. I mean, obviously do what you want, but you're just wasting money changing every 600 miles.

Back