Oh Oh! What Have I Done This Time.

gack

Registered
I'm hoping someone here can steer me in the right direction on this one, I'm definitely not a mechanic but always work on my own vehicles when I can. So I at least have enough tools to get into trouble apparently.
Bought an 02 Busa two years ago with 28,000Km on it, 45,000 now, ran good but needed cosmetic stuff. I ran 87 octane in it at first, tried a tank of premium and the bike started missing at 7k and up, changed back to 87 and all was good again. Put a tank of premium in again this year, same issue so siphoned it out, put 87 in and it ran better but not smooth and missed at higher rpm's so I put new plugs in, NGK iridiums and it ran beautiful, very smooth all the way from slow to fast but about 1500 km later while on a 4 hr ride on a 90 degree day with about a quarter tank left in the tank it started missing again up at around 7k. next day I pulled the plugs to have a look and all where the right colour and everything seemed to be attached correctly. put it back together and now the only way it will start is if I give it enough throttle to get it up to 2.5 to 3k rpm, even then it's barely running, missing badly, smells rich and had some smoke migrate out of the throttle side pipe when I turned it off. tonight I pulled the fuel pump out and it looked pretty good, that little screen had a bit of goop but not bad really, sprayed it with brake clean and put it back together, no difference. Also pulled the plugs again and all 4 showed rich, only ran it for a few seconds the few times I started it.
where do I go from here Boy's, I'm thinking it sounds like a sensor? ecu maybe? I'm not happy with the electrical connection at the back of the air box, not the temperature sender but whatever the other one is, seems to go together fine but doesn't click together unless i hold the clip down so seems to be all the way in at least. I have an appointment at Suzuki on Tuesday but would rather get it fixed myself.

Low fuel pressure, The fuel pump has a small filter on the bottom. It may need replacing. It;s recommended to change it yearly,,,
I know, 75 people will now post that theirs is still good after X thousands of miles.
That could be the problem.
Another quick fix is fuel system cleaner like Berryman's or STP . Berryman's has helped clean out the fuel system on my Honda ST1300. It wasn't that big a deal on the Busa
but I only used non-ethynol in it.

Low fuel pressure,
The fuel pump has a small filter on the bottom.

It may need replacing.

It's recommended to change it yearly . . .

I know,
75 people will now post that theirs is still good after X thousands of miles.

That could be the problem.

Another quick fix is fuel system cleaner like Berryman's or STP .

Berryman's has helped clean out the fuel system on my Honda ST1300 .

It wasn't that big a deal on the Hayabusa,
but I only used non-ethynol in it .

fuel was my first thought, when I had the initial problem this year i blamed it on bad gas but the way the bike went from running rough to not running really at all, just by checking the plugs was odd, made me think that I broke a wire or loosened a connector. when I checked the fuel pump filter it looked pretty clean.

Thanks, I'm going to do the filter mod tomorrow, I'm sure it needs it but it's just odd the way it went completely bad and the fact that it seems to be running rich. I would think (possibly wrongly) that if the filter was plugged that badly it would be starving for gas and the plugs would show lean.

I put in a oem fuel pump assy. (suzuki) my son works at the dealer the assy. cost me $575 put it in myself problem solved but expensive oringal one lasted about 40xxx miles no problems since im at 62000 miles now:)

I put in a oem fuel pump assy. (suzuki) my son works at the dealer the assy. cost me $575 put it in myself problem solved but expensive oringal one lasted about 40xxx miles no problems since im at 62000 miles now:)
Ouch!! There an 09 with about 1500 miles on it in my area that i should be able to pick up for 7200. Gotta get mine running right first though. Hopefully the filter mod will do it.

Back