Now this is what I'm talking about!

Hayabusawannabe

Registered
I want to go on some trips next summer but need to get it all set up first (gps, power sockets, etc) The question I'd like to know is how are you long haul guys able to go for so long? After about an hour the muscles from my left shoulder blade up to my neck are stiff as a board! And I have to keep moving my feet on those pegs or they start to hurt. My right hand gets sore (it didn't the first week I rode it) and my right hip kinda gets sore. I must be doing something wrong but I don't know what.

After you log a few thousand miles it gets better. Riding position is important and don't hold your upper body weight with your throttle hand, use your abs, squeeze that tank with your knees, and move around a little, take a little break when you get gas. At speed on long hauls I lay on the tank alot, it seems to be designed for that.

Get a set of throttlemeisters from Pashnit. They help give your right hand s break. You neck and shoulders sounds like tension. Try and relax. Your legs and such will get better as you get used to the riding position.

Via Tapatalk

As above good advice, also you don't mention how tall you are, it might be that you need to make further adjustment to the handle bars and foot rest height, also when I am going on a long haul I don't just get on the bike and go. if its a real biggie I train for it (usually six weeks before) and make sure my physical fitness is up to it, in particular I find that doing stretching exercises for my legs completely eliminates any hip cramping problems.

Hope this is of some help, I'm sure there will be more good advice on its way.

Best regards Stretch

Lots of seat time and a couple of comfort mods. Bar riser, TL pegs, and cruise control. Seat te and building up your endurance is the most important. I did most of the 1465 mile trip without the cruise since I wasn't the lead bike and they we're keeping a steady pace.

Lots of seat time and a couple of comfort mods. Bar riser, TL pegs, and cruise control. Seat te and building up your endurance is the most important. I did most of the 1465 mile trip without the cruise since I wasn't the lead bike and they we're keeping a steady pace.

The rides seem to go better when you're with friends and having some fun :thumbsup:

The rides seem to go better when you're with friends and having some fun :thumbsup:

Absolutely agree with this!

Comfort mods are needed though. I do not have bars or pegs, but I do have a corbin seat and cruise control. I can ride all day. Also, get you a power outlet, there are many available but I use a 3BR usb outlet. You can get them from Pashnit so you can power phone, mp3, gps, whatever. Riding for long periods of time requires tunes bro.

Based on your issues, start with the basic comfort mods. A good seat like Russell or Rick Mayer, lower the pegs (Buell peg mod), raise the bars (Helibars etc).

The cheapest and best mod I have is just a throttle rocker. Best $10 you will ever spend.

throttle1-475.jpg

You have to make sure you keep toned up all winter. I lift weights at least once or twice a week at the gym. Swimming helps get the kinks out of my body. Yoga helped with strengthening stomach muscles. I soak in the hot tub after lifting weights.

It helps to do a few weekend rides before heading out to do a 3000 mile trip. I rode to Robbinsville, NC and then to Myrtle Beach in April. My body was sore after not being on the motorcycle all winter.

Throttle Rocker/Cramp Buster is one of the cheapest and best farkles you can add. The Busa throttle is stiff, and you'll be feeling it in your upper arm/shoulder.

Well I've logged about 1000+ commute miles since starting this thread and things have gotten better. I'm about 5' - 9", hip cramps are gone! My right hand is good! :) But all isn't well just yet. Laying on the tank (gettin low as I like to call it) is kinda giviing me a back ache after a while. And my left side shoulder to neck muscle are still tightening up a bit. I think my boots are the problem with the pegs; those soles are hard as a rock, even with gel inserts. I do think getting in shape will help as well as provide other benefits so time to dust off the ol P90X! I think my trips will be 1000 mile or less though, right now I cannot see myself going farther than that.

Glad to see things have improved. My neck issues went away when I switched from Icon to Shoei, you just need to find the right combination of things that work for you. :thumbsup:

just go !!

But... a great MUST is a throttle lock of some sort. I got a 10 dollar one on my Busa and it does wonders

Well I've logged about 1000+ commute miles since starting this thread and things have gotten better. I'm about 5' - 9", hip cramps are gone! My right hand is good! :) But all isn't well just yet. Laying on the tank (gettin low as I like to call it) is kinda giviing me a back ache after a while. And my left side shoulder to neck muscle are still tightening up a bit. I think my boots are the problem with the pegs; those soles are hard as a rock, even with gel inserts. I do think getting in shape will help as well as provide other benefits so time to dust off the ol P90X! I think my trips will be 1000 mile or less though, right now I cannot see myself going farther than that.

Well spiegler bar mod may help alot spieglar handle bar.jpg

Its will raise your seating position quite a bit more than the Heli bars, but I am sure you don't want to keep spending on mods so be nice if you could find someone that had it to try it out..

If you doing long days on a regular basis and the Busa ain't keeping you comfortable, have you looked at the sport touring bikes FJR1300, Kawasaki Concourse 14 or the Honda ST. They may not have the neck breaking acceleration of the Busa but it should be more than enough to keep you smiling on the straights and corners on public roads...

If all else fails there is always the ultimate all day an all night riding machines :whistle:
victory cross country.jpg

Loose alot of accelration but if you are uncomfortable riding this you need to get off the 2 wheels an try a CanAM spyder:laugh:

The moral there is a possibility that the Busa just isn't right for you :hide: keep an open mind riding is supposed to be pleasure if you in pain you doing it wrong. Doesn't matter what you ride as long as you riding :laugh:

spieglar handle bar.jpg

victory cross country.jpg

Well several thousand miles later and beginning with P90x things have gotten a lot better. All the problems are gone exept the RH soreness and the sore feet. I think the foot problems are due to the boots I have. I'm gonna use my regular shoes once just to find out. I'm sure the RH problems will be fixed with a throttle lock... I hope. I popped a hamstring while working out and now that hurts but just gotta wait it out I guess.

Well several thousand miles later and beginning with P90x things have gotten a lot better. All the problems are gone exept the RH soreness and the sore feet. I think the foot problems are due to the boots I have. I'm gonna use my regular shoes once just to find out. I'm sure the RH problems will be fixed with a throttle lock... I hope. I popped a hamstring while working out and now that hurts but just gotta wait it out I guess.

:cheerleader::cheerleader:

One more thing to try is to add a tank bag to lean on, not quite as low as laying on the tank, but fill it with soft stuff, not six packs of drink :laugh:
I have racked up 1244 miles in one day this way, 5' 8" heli bars, stock seat, no throttle lock.

Back